Cowboy Basketball (3-0) WIN 70-62 against Marquette. Next Up vs Oakland Grizzlies SATURDAY in GIA #NewEra

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Ugly game. Good win on the road. I have seen enough of Walker and Bryce Williams that Chris Harris does not need to come back and take their minutes. Keylan Boone better start making some shots or his minutes could diminish as well. Bryce Williams was a total surprise. Knew he could shoot but was very active on defense. We got an average Cunningham performance and a solid not great Ice performance and won on the road. These team already has two true road wins. Not too bad. Lots of improvement to be had.

Kalib has played poorly first 3 games. Keylan has played a good floor game, just shot the ball poorly. Need more out of those guys.
Bryce Williams was a pleasant surprise. He is not just a spot-up 3-pt shooter.

Jun 25, 2011
Part of being a great player that is also a great leader is not losing games by forcing offense when it isn't flowing as easy as usual.

Cunningham shot over 50% from the floor because he didn't force his offense

He showed that it's more important to him to win than it is to be a hero.
So far the points he scored pretty much came to him within the flow of the game. He didn’t force it. Shows a lot of maturity.

Rondel has played extremely well for a freshmen also. He has also done a nice job of playing with his skill set.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How many times in the last 10 years have you seen us get that close to multiple shot clock violations in one game?
I was thinking the same thing. Kept hearing Dave count the time out and he hit 5 seconds and below MULTIPLE times in a short span. Defense really messing with their rhythm.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Don't know how you don't have at least Cade or Ice on the court the last few minutes.

First 5 and Last 5 of both halves are when you definitely need one of them on the court.
I still stand by this. Replies about them having 2 fouls and that they "could" get a 3rd.

Eddie had a great post game quote about player a player with 2 fouls late in the first half. If they get a foul in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half or the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half. Basically it doesn't matter if you need that player at that time.

Cade finished with 2 and ICE with 3.

GREAT GAME. This is going to be a fun team to watch.
I agree, was posting about this somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2020
Oklahoma City
HCMB switching to the zone turned things around in a hurry. Pokes scored 34 off of Marquettes turnovers.

Solid win for this team on the road and came in as underdogs. I think this is a confident bunch...and I love it!!

3-0 :pistols:

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Coming into this week, we were ranked high 30s with Marquette sitting at #26. Our next game is against Oakland University which is in Michigan....they’re 0-5 right now.

I think a win against them should allow us around upper 20’s. Maybe even ranked

Dec 21, 2008
First couple games guys were jacking up 3s because they were trying to prove themselves. They are battling for minutes and the first thing to come to a young mind is hit a 3 and I stay in. You can see the maturity with Cade most of the time; even though he had a couple emotional outbursts which he needs to be careful of as refs will watch him the entire game.

He makes others around him better. He slows the game down. This game showed role players playing to their roles. It is fun watching guys score 6-10pts and not trying to be a 25pt guy and selfishly take all the shots. Once this team plays together another month, I bet they will continue to develop and play as a team.

Cade needs to dribble lower, he is going to get pick-pocketed or dribble off defenders ankles a lot

Sep 23, 2010
I can't decide if Marquette's guards were that bad or our zone caused that much disruption. Zones/Presses can cause more problems early in the year because it might be that team's first encounter with that defense. Players gave great effort in the zone flying around and being disruptive with their hands.

AA has covid or contact traced? Interested how quickly we get him back. We did have Bryce Williams handling it some, and he didn't look comfortable handling the ball, although he looks more comfortable and more athletic than Flavors. Definitely a better defender than Flavors.

First game Cade looked human. Scout was out on him that he will put his shoulder down and bulldoze to the goal. Marquette was ready for that. It took til the second half when Cade adjusted and utilized some nice footwork when attacking the glass.

Ice was more assertive as Cade got in foul trouble. He's still really hard to stop in transition. Ice and Cade kicking ahead to each other is a problem for the opponent. But this Walker kid....I like him. MAM as well even though he missed a lot around the goal (was sped up just a bit and those Marquette boys were big).

We need the Boone twins to keep coming. Kalib's lack of effort and physicality in the first 3 games has been very disappointing. It's like where he was at the start of last year. We need the last 10 games Kalib and our team will keep getting a lot better. Keylan is playing super hard, just not making any 3's right now.

Nov 6, 2010
HCMB switching to the zone turned things around in a hurry. Pokes scored 34 off of Marquettes turnovers.

Solid win for this team on the road and came in as underdogs. I think this is a confident bunch...and I love it!!

3-0 :pistols:
I think the zone will be the go-to defense for this team. Should work well for us with our tall guards, and the more they play in it, the better they'll get at running it.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I can't decide if Marquette's guards were that bad or our zone caused that much disruption. Zones/Presses can cause more problems early in the year because it might be that team's first encounter with that defense. Players gave great effort in the zone flying around and being disruptive with their hands.

AA has covid or contact traced? Interested how quickly we get him back. We did have Bryce Williams handling it some, and he didn't look comfortable handling the ball, although he looks more comfortable and more athletic than Flavors. Definitely a better defender than Flavors.

First game Cade looked human. Scout was out on him that he will put his shoulder down and bulldoze to the goal. Marquette was ready for that. It took til the second half when Cade adjusted and utilized some nice footwork when attacking the glass.

Ice was more assertive as Cade got in foul trouble. He's still really hard to stop in transition. Ice and Cade kicking ahead to each other is a problem for the opponent. But this Walker kid....I like him. MAM as well even though he missed a lot around the goal (was sped up just a bit and those Marquette boys were big).

We need the Boone twins to keep coming. Kalib's lack of effort and physicality in the first 3 games has been very disappointing. It's like where he was at the start of last year. We need the last 10 games Kalib and our team will keep getting a lot better. Keylan is playing super hard, just not making any 3's right now.
How you liking Ice’s shooting so far? Not trying to be a jerk, I just know you weren’t sold after the televised practices. Already made as many 3’s as he did last year.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I couple of thoughts from the realist in me, and don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the guys and loved the overall result last night.

--not every team will shoot as poorly as Marquette did. We have to play better man to man defense because we'll need to in conference.

--turnovers will cause us to lose a game we shouldn't unless they get that under control, which, I think they will as they get more experience.

--OSU basketball was in almost the same spot a year ago as it is now (except more games under their belt): lots of excitement about a team that was undefeated. The next 4-6 weeks will tell us what kind of team this is.

--but, I think we'll keep improving because this team is ridiculously athletic and even though there are a lot of mistakes being made, I think in some of the newcomers you see a lit bit more of a basketball IQ than we've had in the past.

After the next 3 non-conference games, three of the first four Big 12 games are against ranked opponents, so it's going to get real very quick.

Jan 13, 2005
How you liking Ice’s shooting so far? Not trying to be a jerk, I just know you weren’t sold after the televised practices. Already made as many 3’s as he did last year.
I like that he is taking the shots that are coming to him and not forcing anything. Taking shots in rhythm are always going to be a higher percentage shot.