Cowboy Basketball: #14 WVU beats the Pokes (7-3) in a heartbreaking 19 point lead drop. KSU on SATURDAY*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
I guess I have to take back what I said last game thread where it appears Boynton is just getting down to playing his best players and not worrying about playing too many guys. Playing D. Williams, the big kid and Flavors while up 19 was a huge mistake that gave WVU the momentum that our young team was unable to regain. I cringed right away when I saw us going down the bench. This isn't rec league. Up 19 in Big 12 game with that much time left is not a time for charity. I guarantee you this one hurts bad for MB because he knows he's the one who showed to a young team we were taking the gas off the pedal.
Agree. Obviously there's a big jump from Nebraska high school basketball to Big 12 basketball. The videos of D. Williams in high school showed a dominant player with deep shooting range, but he hasn't shown it yet. Last night he looked out of shape in his 1 minute of playing time.
In Boynton's defense he had a very short bench last night and with a 19 point lead was trying to buy some rest for some guys, but in retrospect it led to a huge momentum shift.
It's a tough conference with great coaches. The good news is every game has gone down to the wire, so we're not getting blown out. What disappoints me is the lack of basketball intelligence our players have. Obviously that goes back to coaching, but at some point the players have to understand the concept of not running over the defensive player when driving to the basket.

Sep 23, 2010
We had to deal with some foul trouble but it felt like "everyone get in there" for a brief moment before they cut it to 10, and then our guys were supertight the rest of the way. Cade gets 4th and 5th foul and it made it harder. Just a bad, bad loss considering the circumstances of the second half. I was sick for the team because I know how bad those ones hurt.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I guess I have to take back what I said last game thread where it appears Boynton is just getting down to playing his best players and not worrying about playing too many guys. Playing D. Williams, the big kid and Flavors while up 19 was a huge mistake that gave WVU the momentum that our young team was unable to regain. I cringed right away when I saw us going down the bench. This isn't rec league. Up 19 in Big 12 game with that much time left is not a time for charity. I guarantee you this one hurts bad for MB because he knows he's the one who showed to a young team we were taking the gas off the pedal.
Agree. Obviously there's a big jump from Nebraska high school basketball to Big 12 basketball. The videos of D. Williams in high school showed a dominant player with deep shooting range, but he hasn't shown it yet. Last night he looked out of shape in his 1 minute of playing time.
In Boynton's defense he had a very short bench last night and with a 19 point lead was trying to buy some rest for some guys, but in retrospect it led to a huge momentum shift.
It's a tough conference with great coaches. The good news is every game has gone down to the wire, so we're not getting blown out. What disappoints me is the lack of basketball intelligence our players have. Obviously that goes back to coaching, but at some point the players have to understand the concept of not running over the defensive player when driving to the basket.
In Donovan Williams defense, he tore his ACL at the very end of his junior year of high school. He only played a handful games at the very of his senior year. He hasn’t looked good so far this year, but maybe with another year of rehab and conditioning he can turn things around. I’m not giving up on him long term.

Dec 9, 2013
No! There is no defense of Boynton. He wasn’t trying to game rest minutes. That’s why you sub ahead of media timeouts or use your own or manage the game different. He did none of those and in fact subbed & went to a full court press thereby speeding the Game up. Which played into a 4 guard WV lineup. I’ve been off and on the Boynton train for 2 yrs but last night might have been one of his worst performances. How much longer do we suffer through finishing 7th or worse?

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
No! There is no defense of Boynton. He wasn’t trying to game rest minutes. That’s why you sub ahead of media timeouts or use your own or manage the game different. He did none of those and in fact subbed & went to a full court press thereby speeding the Game up. Which played into a 4 guard WV lineup. I’ve been off and on the Boynton train for 2 yrs but last night might have been one of his worst performances. How much longer do we suffer through finishing 7th or worse?
No question last night wasn't his best coaching job.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
In Donovan Williams defense, he tore his ACL at the very end of his junior year of high school. He only played a handful games at the very of his senior year. He hasn’t looked good so far this year, but maybe with another year of rehab and conditioning he can turn things around. I’m not giving up on him long term.
Good point about his torn ACL - have to admit I forgot about that.

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not trying to bag on Donovan. It's not easy to perform well when you've been sitting on the bench the whole game and then you get thrown out there, which is why I would have preferred Boynton wait to do that with about 3min left if we were still up by 19.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Evidently a few more years, because there are many fans that are ok with this product...because "he is a nice guy", "a good recruiter", "we can't get anybody better", "he is cheap". Ridiculous...