Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
Texas State and Stephen F Austin both now have they schedule up. Looks like Friday February 19th will be opening day for college baseball. Can’t wait, Go Pokes. “Make it Happen “

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Here's a blast from the past that I've never noticed on youtube before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA3e_XlcJqM
This is incredible. I turned it on while I'm doing some work....of course all I hear is Joe Morgan (RIP) be over critical of a team that is loaded with future hall of famers. Still, great find! I was 8 and remember our family going to a friend's house who had ESPN so we could watch it.

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
This is incredible. I turned it on while I'm doing some work....of course all I hear is Joe Morgan (RIP) be over critical of a team that is loaded with future hall of famers. Still, great find! I was 8 and remember our family going to a friend's house who had ESPN so we could watch it.
It‘s almost impossible to read the numbers on the back of the Indiana State jerseys.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Kendall Rogers is now saying that there's some momentum for the Big 12 to play a completely 100% normal schedule, including 24 conference games. He says the AD's will be voting on this early next week, which he's been wrong about all along anyway. He had previously claimed they were voting this week, so who freaking knows.... I wish they would just make up their freaking minds, vote, release the schedules and put season tickets on sale already. Enough with the foot dragging guys....

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Kendall Rogers is now saying that there's some momentum for the Big 12 to play a completely 100% normal schedule, including 24 conference games. He says the AD's will be voting on this early next week, which he's been wrong about all along anyway. He had previously claimed they were voting this week, so who freaking knows.... I wish they would just make up their freaking minds, vote, release the schedules and put season tickets on sale already. Enough with the foot dragging guys....
I hope they make their minds up soon as well, i had tickets for the opening weekend at O'Brate last year and really hope we finally get to see a season played in that beautiful stadium! Plus with all the talent we have this year it will be very exciting to see what we can do.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Apparently, Holliday told RA that we have non conference series lined up with Grand Canyon, Illinois State, and of course Vandy. I also saw a rumbling on twitter that we may be beginning the season at Sam Houston State, a very good program. We also will host Little Rock for a couple of midweek games Feb. 23-24.

Other things of note: Holliday is really happy to see Mitchell Stone back on the mound, healthy, and ready to contribute. He says he still thinks that Parker Scott is one of the more skilled pitchers in the Big 12, Wrobleski's stuff is great, Cable has become consistent and has electric stuff, look for Encarnacion, McLean, and Johnson to contribute in big ways, we have many pitchers who have competed in big time games like Scott, Walker, Varela, and Standlee. Cabbiness sat out part of the fall with a lap strain, but should be ready to go. Bay is another freshman that turned heads this fall. Thompson is probably our best hitter now (which is really something for Holliday to say). McCusker and Trenkle had good falls. He really likes our middle infield a lot with Morrill and Golda. And, I'll add on top of all that that I got to see Osmond in person in Tulsa over the summer, and he was absolutely dominant. His first start of the season he went the first 3 straight innings without missing his spot on even one pitch. He went on to be named the TCL Pitcher of the Year, and because the Cape Cod League was cancelled, the TCL was probably the most talented summer league out there last year.

Cowboy Up.

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
Apparently, Holliday told RA that we have non conference series lined up with Grand Canyon, Illinois State, and of course Vandy. I also saw a rumbling on twitter that we may be beginning the season at Sam Houston State, a very good program. We also will host Little Rock for a couple of midweek games Feb. 23-24.

Other things of note: Holliday is really happy to see Mitchell Stone back on the mound, healthy, and ready to contribute. He says he still thinks that Parker Scott is one of the more skilled pitchers in the Big 12, Wrobleski's stuff is great, Cable has become consistent and has electric stuff, look for Encarnacion, McLean, and Johnson to contribute in big ways, we have many pitchers who have competed in big time games like Scott, Walker, Varela, and Standlee. Cabbiness sat out part of the fall with a lap strain, but should be ready to go. Bay is another freshman that turned heads this fall. Thompson is probably our best hitter now (which is really something for Holliday to say). McCusker and Trenkle had good falls. He really likes our middle infield a lot with Morrill and Golda. And, I'll add on top of all that that I got to see Osmond in person in Tulsa over the summer, and he was absolutely dominant. His first start of the season he went the first 3 straight innings without missing his spot on even one pitch. He went on to be named the TCL Pitcher of the Year, and because the Cape Cod League was cancelled, the TCL was probably the most talented summer league out there last year.

Cowboy Up.
Based upon that info, plus what we already knew/heard, what's your best guess for an everyday lineup? This is what I'm thinking, based upon nothing more than preseason hype....
LF: McCusker
CF: Trenkle
RF: Johnson / Cabbiness (if healthy)
3B: Encarnacion / Thompson
SS: Morrill
2B: Golda
1B: Garcia?
C: Hewitt / Mathis
DH: Cabbiness / Encarnacion / Thompson / McLean

Can anyone else play 1B? Garcia's been solid, but it sounds like we have the opportunity to upgrade the offense there if anyone else can be sufficient defensively. And it sounds like Bay might fight for some playing time somewhere in the OF. We may have more bats than spots in the order, which is definitely a good thing.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Based upon that info, plus what we already knew/heard, what's your best guess for an everyday lineup? This is what I'm thinking, based upon nothing more than preseason hype....

Can anyone else play 1B? Garcia's been solid, but it sounds like we have the opportunity to upgrade the offense there if anyone else can be sufficient defensively. And it sounds like Bay might fight for some playing time somewhere in the OF. We may have more bats than spots in the order, which is definitely a good thing.
From what I have heard you may swap your middle infield, I have been told that Golda is more at natural at SS than Morrill. I would expect Encarnacion to be the every day 3B he is better defensively than Thompson and Mclean can play a little 1B.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com

That's really my guess on the lineup too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson at DH more often than not. I think it's possible that Encarnacion will be our everyday 3B, with McLean getting some time there too. It sounds like McLean is too talented to not get him some good PT this year to groom him, and it wouldn't surprise me if Encarnacion is gone after only 1 year. Of course what happens with the length of the 2021 MLB draft will have a big impact on that too. I think you'll see Garcia get the lion's share of innings at 1B. His D is very solid, and he's a good hitter who can be counted on to put the ball in play. The coaches really raved before the 2020 season about how much Garcia had improved his ability to hit for power more frequently.

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
In my opinion, I would not trade anyone at 1st base with Alix Garcia. His ability to dig 5 or 6 throws out of the dirt, every game, makes him one of the cornerstones of the Cowboy’s defense and someone who leads by example.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
Thompson will D H a ton this year but Justin Campbell will also get in the lineup some as a D H and maybe some time at first. J C had a really good fall both pitching and hitting. Agreed that Garcia’s glove is so valuable. Freshman MJ Rodriguez got some time at first in the fall and looked good in the field and at the plate. Do doubt this team is loaded both on the mound and the field! Josh has lots of combinations to work with! Absolutely can’t wait to get started! Go Pokes “ Make it Happen “