Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 19, 2010
Yukon, Ok
I'm not a huge fan of this approach, especially for college players, if it means taking out a hot pitcher just to stick with a formula. In MLB I can at least understand it in the regular season when you've got so many innings/games to get through. But I've seen so often in postseason play where the setup guy comes in to pitch the 8th and is untouchable, yet the manager goes to his closer in the 9th and he struggles - at which point you have to bring in a 2nd/3rd tier guy. I'm ok with it to get innings for more guys, but not in big games.
I agree about not pulling a dude that is killing it! That has always bothered me that a guy works the 8th and goes through them like shit through a goose and the closer comes out to start the 9th because that’s what he does. Next thing you know, he shits the bed and you lose. No argument from me on your thoughts, at all. I did find the strategy of it, interesting though.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
When I see people comparing this pitching staff to that of Florida and Vandy I get really EXCITED! In Josh’s latest interview he said it looks like we are going to get to play a normal season of 56 games. That’s fantastic news. He also mentioned a guy that’s had a great fall is Colton Bowman. Looks to me like we’re absolutely loaded. Go Pokes “Make it Happen “

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
I saw where Max McGwire the son of Mark signed with zero u. Does anyone know if we were involved In his recruiting? I thought he would end up at USC where his dad played. I wondering what the connection to zero u was, any ideas?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I saw where Max McGwire the son of Mark signed with zero u. Does anyone know if we were involved In his recruiting? I thought he would end up at USC where his dad played. I wondering what the connection to zero u was, any ideas?

Not sure if there's a connection or not. But, OU's recruiting under Johnson has been pretty good. And, it's not like Hughes left the cupboard bare either. It's a bit of a mystery to me why OU has spun their tires in baseball so much since Mr. Pencil left. Either way, I really do think OU is about to see some good success under Johnson, I think they're headed in the right direction. And, that's good, because we need for OU, TX, and everyone else in the league to be as good as possible. WV's surge, and Rodriguez bringing Baylor back to being competitive are really good for this league. If OU will get back to the point of getting into a regional every year, it further solidifies the Big 12 as the second best baseball conference in America. Which, is a huge opportunity right now. The Pac 12 has faded a little, as Oregon State's future is a bit unsettled right now with a new coaching staff. What Casey did there was nothing short of a miracle that Bill Snyder would be proud of. Arizona and Arizona State haven't been what they usually are in recent years either. Oregon has dumped a bunch of money into their program and has done nothing but spin their tires. And USC, well, I'm just going to say that USC baseball is a lot like Nebraska football. They may never recover. The ACC is stout, but UNC has a new coaching staff now, along with Florida State too. Anyway, I could keep going, but now is the time that the Big 12 could really seize the opportunity to solidify itself as the 2nd best league in the country.

I will say this, I did feel a bit bad for OU with the way things ended last season, but at the same time I find it laughable that anyone would think they were a lock to make noise in the tournament. They haven't proven it under Johnson, they never proved it under Hughes. IMO, it's put up or shut up for OU baseball on a certain level. They've had good talent every single year. Just because they had a couple of arms that were top 5 round type of guys doesn't make me think they were a lock to make any real noise last year. They still have to prove they can do it.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
C Encarnacion-Strand 3b, H Morrill SS, M. Golda 2b , A Garcia 1b. Those guys will play a bunch. I’am told Golda is a better SS than a 2nd basemen so there will be times the two switch. Spot starts by J Thompson 3b & 2b, D Gardner 2b, M Brown SS and i’am guessing J Campbell will do some DH and spot start at 1b. O Salinas SS, 2b, MJ Rodriguez,1b ,J Bay, Riley Metzger M Hewitt all will spot start. That’s my prediction.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
C Encarnacion-Strand 3b, H Morrill SS, M. Golda 2b , A Garcia 1b. Those guys will play a bunch. I’am told Golda is a better SS than a 2nd basemen so there will be times the two switch. Spot starts by J Thompson 3b & 2b, D Gardner 2b, M Brown SS and i’am guessing J Campbell will do some DH and spot start at 1b. O Salinas SS, 2b, MJ Rodriguez,1b ,J Bay, Riley Metzger M Hewitt all will spot start. That’s my prediction.
Do you think Thompson will DH when he is not playing the field. His bat seemed very impressive last year when healthy.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
Absolutely right on. I think he bats 3rd in the lineup most of the time. He can DH, play some 3rd base and some 2nd base. Say against Texas with Madden starting on Friday and Elder on Saturday i’am guessing Josh will also want Justin Campbell‘s bat in the lineup. So games like that Thompson would probably start at 2 nd base and Campbell would DH!

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I think that Packerat is right on in most of his predictions with respect to the projected starting lineup. Golda has a big league glove and a good arm, but Huey has an absolute cannon and can make all the plays, so I think that you will see Morrill at short and Golda at second most of the time. Hewitt or Thompson can play second if needed, and when I say needed it means to get their bats in the lineup. One of those two will DH if not playing in the field in a particular game. Mathis and Hewitt will share the catching duties.
I do not think that you will see any freshman position players start (like Trenkle last season), at least not early in the season. It is not for lack of talent but rather because of the talent and experience coming back. I expect Dom Johnson (OF) and John Bay(DH) to get some opportunities early but, absent injuries, I would not expect the others to see any significant time early and I think that a couple will be redshirt candidates. These guys really got screwed out of opportunities by the Covid returners and the short draft.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Not sure if there's a connection or not. But, OU's recruiting under Johnson has been pretty good. And, it's not like Hughes left the cupboard bare either. It's a bit of a mystery to me why OU has spun their tires in baseball so much since Mr. Pencil left. Either way, I really do think OU is about to see some good success under Johnson, I think they're headed in the right direction. And, that's good, because we need for OU, TX, and everyone else in the league to be as good as possible. WV's surge, and Rodriguez bringing Baylor back to being competitive are really good for this league. If OU will get back to the point of getting into a regional every year, it further solidifies the Big 12 as the second best baseball conference in America. Which, is a huge opportunity right now. The Pac 12 has faded a little, as Oregon State's future is a bit unsettled right now with a new coaching staff. What Casey did there was nothing short of a miracle that Bill Snyder would be proud of. Arizona and Arizona State haven't been what they usually are in recent years either. Oregon has dumped a bunch of money into their program and has done nothing but spin their tires. And USC, well, I'm just going to say that USC baseball is a lot like Nebraska football. They may never recover. The ACC is stout, but UNC has a new coaching staff now, along with Florida State too. Anyway, I could keep going, but now is the time that the Big 12 could really seize the opportunity to solidify itself as the 2nd best league in the country.

I will say this, I did feel a bit bad for OU with the way things ended last season, but at the same time I find it laughable that anyone would think they were a lock to make noise in the tournament. They haven't proven it under Johnson, they never proved it under Hughes. IMO, it's put up or shut up for OU baseball on a certain level. They've had good talent every single year. Just because they had a couple of arms that were top 5 round type of guys doesn't make me think they were a lock to make any real noise last year. They still have to prove they can do it.
Screw them. Hope we put 20+ on them again this season