Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Do what the pro’s did this year and pitch ur starter through 3-5 innings and then just bullpen the shit out of them the rest of the game. Especially if they do away with Midweek games? Just a thought
Agreed. Rob has been successful with that approach in the past, and it could be very helpful early in the year to get all these arms oppportunities.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
I don't know who the odd man out is.....I just know it's not going to be Parker Scott! Campbell could easily go into the midweek starter role instead of CJ Varela. I don't think he focuses on pitching just yet, but at some point he will...it's the position he projects best at the professional level. Considering we're in pandemic still with the unknown..its good to have this many potential weekend starting candidates.

In terms of Josh's loyalty....an 80 million dollar stadium isn't going to change him, much less his core values. If you think it will...you must not know Holliday at all.
That is stupid, and I am sorry if he chooses loyalty over giving the team the best chance to win that is stupid and not good coaching.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
No ones saying Josh will change his core values because of a new stadium. No one wants to win more than Josh. All i’am saying is that their are people in the athletic department (football) that have complained over the last year and a half about baseball getting so much money. Someone brought up the question about playing guys because of loyalty. I have no doubt Josh plays the players that he feels gives us the best chance to win, don’t you?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
That is stupid, and I am sorry if he chooses loyalty over giving the team the best chance to win that is stupid and not good coaching.
lol relax....don't take it too seriously. Besides he literally only has 5 seniors and all of them outside of hewitt are starters. I don't think there's going to be drama with this team. We have a lot of arms and a lot of bats...which is a very good thing considering of the unknowns like injuries, covid, etc....The rotation will figured itself out....I have a guy who's proven in the rotation. The same guy that had a rough outing against UCLA..this is the same guy that gave Texas Tech's lineup fits for 6 innings in a super regional that featured guys like Gabe Holt, Cameron Warren, Brian Klien, and last but not least Josh Jung. Give me Parker Scott all day...and twice on Sunday in the rotation.

It's a good problem to have....this is what the Florida Gators has dealt with the past 5-6 years. Plenty of arms, only 3 spots in the rotation and everyone buys into their respective roles, and waits their turn to be a weekend starter. I like it....i like the situation we're in, and although we have legitimately 8-10 guys that can be weekend starters, I hope they buy into their roles. We're in November talking about baseball....life is good!

TrevB11

Greenhorn
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
I cannot wait for this season to start up! I had tickets for the opening weekend at O'Brate, was very much looking forward to that, but will have the opportunity this year if everything doesnt go haywire again. Plus with all these guys coming back ON TOP of our great recruiting for this class it will be alot of fun!

Sep 12, 2008
20 mil to buy a few acres in Stillwater? No way that is accurate
Actually to acquire all the land for the Athletic village it was more... not just for the baseball stadium.

The university spent about $50-million in 2007 to purchase and remove all structures within the 100-acre site slated for the village, a move that was controversial locally. The site remains empty. —Erica R. Hendry

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
Based on performance in prior season(s) and in the fall, a good Vegas bet on three weekend starters for OSU this Spring would be Wrobleski, Scott and Osmund (in no particular order). Rarely will a team go through the entire season with the same three starters due to poor performance, injury etc. If there is a fourth weekend starter this year (which is likely), it will come from Bowman, Phansalkar, Campbell, Standlee or Varella (again, in no particular order), with the others being sport starters (midweek if they play midweek) or bullpen depth. I don't think that I forgot anyone but its possible. This team has the kind of pitching depth that Vandy and Florida roll out there year after year, the kind you have to have to be a serious contender for Omaha unless your offense can average 7 runs a game.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
I absolutely can’t wait for February and the start of college baseball. Hopefully the NCAA and the Big 12 lets the schools schedule as many games as normal. Obviously baseball is different than football, basketball because of little or no contact among the players. With all this talent we need the non conference and the mid-week games BAD!!

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
Does anyone know if Nolan McLean will play baseball next spring or be at football or both? He is the highest rated freshman in the class that’s here now. I’am told that even Matt H. Is impressed with this kid’s power. I was told this kid has hit multiple balls (i think it’s 4) to the very top of the Jumbotron. I was also told that he pitching in the mid nineties! He didn’t pitch fall ball became of football but did participate in batting and fielding.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Does anyone know if Nolan McLean will play baseball next spring or be at football or both? He is the highest rated freshman in the class that’s here now. I’am told that even Matt H. Is impressed with this kid’s power. I was told this kid has hit multiple balls (i think it’s 4) to the very top of the Jumbotron. I was also told that he pitching in the mid nineties! He didn’t pitch fall ball became of football but did participate in batting and fielding.
I think the coaches expect he’ll be with the baseball team full time in the spring. I think baseball is this kids ticket professionally.

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Do what the pro’s did this year and pitch ur starter through 3-5 innings and then just bullpen the shit out of them the rest of the game. Especially if they do away with Midweek games? Just a thought
I'm not a huge fan of this approach, especially for college players, if it means taking out a hot pitcher just to stick with a formula. In MLB I can at least understand it in the regular season when you've got so many innings/games to get through. But I've seen so often in postseason play where the setup guy comes in to pitch the 8th and is untouchable, yet the manager goes to his closer in the 9th and he struggles - at which point you have to bring in a 2nd/3rd tier guy. I'm ok with it to get innings for more guys, but not in big games.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
He has been going to the baseball facility in his off time with Matt H and taking BP in the cages I know that for sure.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
@Ptak'sNewspaper posted a great video with Josh talking about the team last week. Josh did talk about Nolan but just said football was important to him so that would come first this fall, and in the spring he would put baseball first.

Jun 27, 2018
okc
Actually to acquire all the land for the Athletic village it was more... not just for the baseball stadium.

The university spent about $50-million in 2007 to purchase and remove all structures within the 100-acre site slated for the village, a move that was controversial locally. The site remains empty. —Erica R. Hendry
I remember hearing it as $10M for the baseball land and $50 for the stadium. No where have I seen $80M printed anywhere else.

Sep 12, 2008
I remember hearing it as $10M for the baseball land and $50 for the stadium. No where have I seen $80M printed anywhere else.
I don't know what to tell you.. they really are 2 separate things. OSU paid (Boone) 50 million to acquire all the land, remove the buildings and payoff the City of Stillwater for lost revenue from utilities for all the athletic village.

Then OBrate donated 35 million of the 60 million estimated cost.

"Thursday, OSU announced its new baseball stadium, set to open in 2020, will be named O'Brate Stadium. O'Brate, an 89-year-old entrepreneur who attended the university from 1946-48, donated $35 million of the $60 million OSU needed for the ballpark."

I do know that the stadium went over budget but not by how much.