Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Parker's start wasn't good....true. He didn't have command of his secondary pitches so they sat dead red on his fastball...which an upper 80's fastball with no movement isn't going to overpower anyone. UCLA was hitting doubles like crazy finding the gaps and ended up with 6 doubles in the game. What makes him Parker damn good is his command and his breaking pitches like his change up and curve. Those two help his fastball play up more. He also can locate his fastball to all quadrants of the strike zone. His lack of velo is why he'll get low balled come draft time....not to mention he'll be 24 before the season starts.

No way Parker is out of the rotation....like I've said before Josh's loyalty to his seniors won't allow it even though that's Waltons guy. I will say that if Osmond pitches like he did in the summer, I could see him being the Friday night guy at some point....he's got the best stuff on the team IMO.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Parker's start wasn't good....true. He didn't have command of his secondary pitches so they sat dead red on his fastball...which an upper 80's fastball with no movement isn't going to overpower anyone. UCLA was hitting doubles like crazy finding the gaps and ended up with 6 doubles in the game. What makes him Parker damn good is his command and his breaking pitches like his change up and curve. Those two help his fastball play up more. He also can locate his fastball to all quadrants of the strike zone. His lack of velo is why he'll get low balled come draft time....not to mention he'll be 24 before the season starts.

No way Parker is out of the rotation....like I've said before Josh's loyalty to his seniors won't allow it even though that's Waltons guy. I will say that if Osmond pitches like he did in the summer, I could see him being the Friday night guy at some point....he's got the best stuff on the team IMO.
So who of these 3 get left out of the weekend rotation. Bryce Osmond who has first round stuff, Justin Worbelski who I was told sits 93-95 with his fastball and has great off speed stuff and this fall had 15-20 scouts at a scrimmage to watch him or Justin Campbell who has been so impressive that the coaching staff wants him to focus just on pitching because he has the ability to be dominant?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
So who of these 3 get left out of the weekend rotation. Bryce Osmond who has first round stuff, Justin Worbelski who I was told sits 93-95 with his fastball and has great off speed stuff and this fall had 15-20 scouts at a scrimmage to watch him or Justin Campbell who has been so impressive that the coaching staff wants him to focus just on pitching because he has the ability to be dominant?
All I know is that I wouldn’t mind Campbell and Standlee in that Wheeland role every weekend. We would have 2 high end guys to bridge the gap from starter to closer if need be.
As far as focusing on one bad start from Scott, let’s not forget that we don’t get within 6 outs of Omaha without Scott in 2019. He held an elite Tech lineup in check in game 2 of that super regional. His track record speaks for itself IMO.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
All I know is that I wouldn’t mind Campbell and Standlee in that Wheeland role every weekend. We would have 2 high end guys to bridge the gap from starter to closer if need be.
As far as focusing on one bad start from Scott, let’s not forget that we don’t get within 6 outs of Omaha without Scott in 2019. He held an elite Tech lineup in check in game 2 of that super regional. His track record speaks for itself IMO.
Here is the thing I am not saying Parker Scott is a bad pitcher. I am saying that our recruiting is picking up and the high end guys we are bringing in dont need to be sitting the bullpen because of loyalty.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Agreed. He is a crafty lefty and he tore up the CCL in 2019. I remember how thrilled we all were when he ended up coming back to campus after he left the Cape early.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
I find it very hard to believe that the staff would push Justin Campbell to just concentrate on pitching. The kid is an excellent hitter and only played a QTR of his freshman year. It’s way to early to that call.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I find it very hard to believe that the staff would push Justin Campbell to just concentrate on pitching. The kid is an excellent hitter and only played a QTR of his freshman year. It’s way to early to that call.

I tend to agree with this. I was very impressed with him in the batter's box, and we'll definitely have a 1B vacancy after 2021.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Here is the thing I am not saying Parker Scott is a bad pitcher. I am saying that our recruiting is picking up and the high end guys we are bringing in dont need to be sitting the bullpen because of loyalty.

I don't think Scott will be in the rotation because of loyalty, he'll be in the rotation because he's had a full season of dominating Big 12 play to the tune of a 2.18 ERA in 2019, he had a 2.16 ERA in 2020, and a 0.00 ERA in the Cape in 2019. When he's healthy, he's been a great starting pitcher, even in the Big 12. Just because he doesn't throw 97 doesn't mean he isn't light years ahead of all of the tremendous recruits we've brought in (he is).

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
So are y’all saying Campbell is the odd man out. I am just telling you from what was said this summer out in California he did nothing but pitch. Also MJ Rodriguez has got a tremendous upside at 1st from this previous class that just came in.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
So are y’all saying Campbell is the odd man out. I am just telling you from what was said this summer out in California he did nothing but pitch. Also MJ Rodriguez has got a tremendous upside at 1st from this previous class that just came in.
I don’t view any pitcher as the odd man out. Those who perform will play. You have to have a dominant bullpen to compete for a NC, and I think Campbell, Standlee, Davis, Kelly, Martin, Varela, Bowman, Phansalkar, Cable, Martin, Cheney, Peterson, and Bogusz COULD all be key pieces to a NC caliber bullpen.
In 2014, we don’t win the Big 12 and a regional without Wheelan and McCurry. In 2016 we don’t go to Omaha without Cobb and Buffett. In 2019 we don’t win a regional without Battenfield, Leeper, Varela, Lyons, Gragg, and Basso.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
From what I saw in fall ball and watching Josh light up talking about him I will be shocked if Wrobleski is in the bullpen. This is a very good lineup with a lot of right handed power and I witnessed him give up nothing. This pitching depth everyone is talking about has me hoping for being in Omaha in June 21. Go Pokes “ Make it Hsppen””

Nov 19, 2010
Yukon, Ok
Do what the pro’s did this year and pitch ur starter through 3-5 innings and then just bullpen the shit out of them the rest of the game. Especially if they do away with Midweek games? Just a thought

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
I don’t view any pitcher as the odd man out. Those who perform will play. You have to have a dominant bullpen to compete for a NC, and I think Campbell, Standlee, Davis, Kelly, Martin, Varela, Bowman, Phansalkar, Cable, Martin, Cheney, Peterson, and Bogusz COULD all be key pieces to a NC caliber bullpen.
In 2014, we don’t win the Big 12 and a regional without Wheelan and McCurry. In 2016 we don’t go to Omaha without Cobb and Buffett. In 2019 we don’t win a regional without Battenfield, Leeper, Varela, Lyons, Gragg, and Basso.
All I am saying is y’all are all saying that Scott is for sure going to be in the weekend rotation and I am just saying I don’t think it’s a done deal.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
I personally think you can throw loyalty out the window. Now that you have built the best college stadium in the country it’s all about Omaha and the National Championship’s. Josh and Rob know that with 80 million spent on the stadium, championship’s are expected!

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I don't know who the odd man out is.....I just know it's not going to be Parker Scott! Campbell could easily go into the midweek starter role instead of CJ Varela. I don't think he focuses on pitching just yet, but at some point he will...it's the position he projects best at the professional level. Considering we're in pandemic still with the unknown..its good to have this many potential weekend starting candidates.

In terms of Josh's loyalty....an 80 million dollar stadium isn't going to change him, much less his core values. If you think it will...you must not know Holliday at all.