Cowboy Baseball in the Polls 12/18/18

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Cowboys check in at:

#16 - Collegiate Baseball Newspaper
#18 - Perfect Game
#18 - D1Baseball
#20 - NCBWA
#21 - USA Today Coaches Poll

Of note, we have 18 games against top 40 competition this season, 17 of those against top 25 competition, and 7 of those are against top 10 competition.

24 more games on our schedule are against teams who received votes in this poll. We have a whopping 12 games this upcoming season against teams who did NOT receive votes in this poll.

In case you're missing the point, this is a CRAZY schedule that our staff put together. We play 42 games this season against teams that are expected to be in the thick of the race for an NCAA Tournament at-large bid. And that's not counting conference tournament games.

If we play well enough throughout the season to get to host one more regional at Allie P., it could be a cake walk compared to our regular season schedule.

Oh, and that team we visited in Tennessee a while back that smacked us around pretty good, yeah, they're the #2 ranked team in the country. Crazy thing is, I feel like we pretty much pitched with them, we just didn't hit or field with them.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2012
Cowboys check in at #16 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper preseason poll.

Of note, we have 18 games against top 40 competition this season, 17 of those against top 25 competition, and 7 of those are against top 10 competition.

24 more games on our schedule are against teams who received votes in this poll. We have a whopping 12 games this upcoming season against teams who did NOT receive votes in this poll.

In case you're missing the point, this is a CRAZY schedule that our staff put together. We play 42 games this season against teams that are expected to be in the thick of the race for an NCAA Tournament at-large bid. And that's not counting conference tournament games.

If we play well enough throughout the season to get to host one more regional at Allie P., it could be a cake walk compared to our regular season schedule.

Oh, and that team we visited in Tennessee a while back that smacked us around pretty good, yeah, they're the #2 ranked team in the country. Crazy thing is, I feel like we pretty much pitched with them, we just didn't hit or field with them.
Pitching pays the bills. Here's to hoping we don't get hit by the injury bug like we have in recent years.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK

Totally agree. I think our pitching will be very good this year.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

bring it on. i'm ready!!

Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Planning our annual baseball/golf weekend for the UT series. Can't wait. The itch is already all-consuming!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Planning our annual baseball/golf weekend for the UT series. Can't wait. The itch is already all-consuming!

Hey trippin629. I want in on that Baseball/Golf weekend. Let me know if you need another player
Depending on work schedules it's usually cimarron trails Friday afternoon and lakeside Saturday. Baseball games in the evening. I'll try and post when the plans get set.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Depending on work schedules it's usually cimarron trails Friday afternoon and lakeside Saturday. Baseball games in the evening. I'll try and post when the plans get set.

I was half kidding. Didn’t mean to crash your plans. Two of my favorite things Oklahoma Golf with my fellow Pokes and Cowboy Baseball!

Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Who? I've had tunnel vision on the tribe this offseason so apparently I missed this one.

Michael Neustifter
That's some lost production. Still no ideas why he left?

And no worries about crashing any plans. We make new buddies on the course all the time. It's always a fun weekend.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Cowboys are ranked #18 in both preseason polls from Perfect Game & D1Baseball. Have no problem at all with any of these rankings. Probably pretty accurate for now.

Of note, two things -

One, Vanderbilt is preseason #1 according to D1Baseball, so getting taken to the woodshed out in Nashville doesn't seem quite so bad. Again, we pitched with them pretty well for the most part. We just didn't hit. Again, Coach Holliday really needs to get this team going offensively a lot quicker than in past years. With this schedule, you can't dig yourself too deep of a hole.

Two, the Big XII has 5 of 9 members ranked, the SEC has 8 of 14 members ranked. So, Big XII has 56% of its members ranked, the SEC 57%. The SEC is top heavy, with many in the Top 10, but this really does speak to the depth of the Big XII, for a conference that only has 9 members. And, again, OU and WV both have enough talent that they may compete for Top 25 spots throughout the season as well.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Michael Neustifter
So for you guys more plugged in to the happenings with our program, can you comment on why these two transferred and how that's going to effect the team? I can't remember how good these two were. This article was from 12/11/18.

Oklahoma State infielder Michael Neustifter is transferring, OSU coach Josh Holliday confirmed to The Oklahoman on Tuesday.

Neustifter posted his intent to transfer on his Instagram on Sunday. After playing catcher his freshman year, Neustifter played primarily third base as a sophomore. The Carrollton, Texas, native was second among Cowboys last season with a .299 average to go along with four home runs and 35 RBIs, earning a spot on the All-Big 12 second team.

With second baseman Ryan Cash transferring to Oral Roberts and shortstop Matt Kroon signing a professional contract with the Philadelphia Phillies, the Cowboys will have three new starting infielders in 2019. Christian Funk, OSU's first baseman in 2018, is expected to get a look at third base, with fellow returners Max Hewitt, Dylan Gardner and Jake Taylor among Holliday's infield options. Newcomers Cross Factor, Hueston Morrill and Andrew Navigato are in the mix for the infield spots, as well, among others.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
I don’t have inside info, but I think Funk moving to third and allowing Garcia to play 1st was a factor in Nuestifter’s decision

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I don’t have inside info, but I think Funk moving to third and allowing Garcia to play 1st was a factor in Nuestifter’s decision
I can’t imagine Neustifter was afraid of Funk taking his spot at 3B. Neustifter is a much more consistent hitter than Funk has been. Don’t get me wrong. I really like Funk but they both could have had plenty of playing time.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I can’t imagine Neustifter was afraid of Funk taking his spot at 3B. Neustifter is a much more consistent hitter than Funk has been. Don’t get me wrong. I really like Funk but they both could have had plenty of playing time.
Seeing as Neustifter transferred to a division 2 school, I assume grades may have been part of the problem.