Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Today (Nov. 20,2020) the Oklahoma State Health Dept. reported that of 167, 261 "cases" (persons testing positive), the number of deaths determined to be from Covid-19 was 1603. Thus 0.095% of those tested positive died. Again 95% of those who died were 50 years or over and 80% were 65 years or older. Others have reported that deaths co-morbilities (hight blood pressure obesity, heart diease, diabetes, lung disease etc) are associated with higher death rates. This makes it difficult and sometimes impossible at times to determine the primary reason for the death.

Mar 11, 2006
Great example Gov Stitt! :facepalm::facepalm:

Wow, people upset a person is attending Bedlam and having a family Thanksgiving dinner.

News flash: If you are upset if someone else goes to watch OSU play or upset someone else is having a holiday dinner with family ....you should ask you spouse Karen why you are such a busy-body 3rd grader.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Wow, people upset a person is attending Bedlam and having a family Thanksgiving dinner.

News flash: If you are upset if someone else goes to watch OSU play or upset someone else is having a holiday dinner with family ....you should ask you spouse Karen why you are such a busy-body 3rd grader.
His freaking Dept of Health released guidelines for Thanksgiving YESTERDAY encouraging all Oklahomans to do Thanksgiving Virtually OR with immediate household members only.

The next day Stitt announces this and says he thinks all Oklahoman's should be with their loved ones on Thanksgiving....that is in direct conflict with that his state Health Dept said the DAY BEFORE.

He is publicly undermining his own Health Dept...which many will take a cue from Stitt and do the same and the Health Dept Message was meaningless. It is a complete snub to scientific authority in this matter in the state of Oklahoma

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

Time for all Oklahoma’s to think about someone besides themselves. The more people go out the greater the chance of getting Covid which leads to the already overfull hospitals being pushed harder and the staff being pushed hardest.
Yes it a sacrifice, but it is one that can help many people .

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yes it a sacrifice, but it is one that can help many people .
Yeah... It's mostly a sacrifice for the people that just show up and eat a free meal. Now they have to fix their own lunch that day. Personally, I'm not too upset about not having to get my house cleaned up for company and getting a massive lunch prepared. ;)

Mar 11, 2006
His freaking Dept of Health released guidelines for Thanksgiving YESTERDAY encouraging all Oklahomans to do Thanksgiving Virtually OR with immediate household members only.

The next day Stitt announces this and says he thinks all Oklahoman's should be with their loved ones on Thanksgiving....that is in direct conflict with that his state Health Dept said the DAY BEFORE.

He is publicly undermining his own Health Dept...which many will take a cue from Stitt and do the same and the Health Dept Message was meaningless. It is a complete snub to scientific authority in this matter in the state of Oklahoma
A complete snub?? Over-react much?

If Stitt deserves a facepalm, then I do as well. I am going to have a family Thanksgiving dinner. And I am going to the OSU game next weekend.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Today (Nov. 20,2020) the Oklahoma State Health Dept. reported that of 167, 261 "cases" (persons testing positive), the number of deaths determined to be from Covid-19 was 1603. Thus 0.095% of those tested positive died. Again 95% of those who died were 50 years or over and 80% were 65 years or older. Others have reported that deaths co-morbilities (hight blood pressure obesity, heart diease, diabetes, lung disease etc) are associated with higher death rates. This makes it difficult and sometimes impossible at times to determine the primary reason for the death.
I've seen you post this a few times and let it go. This is the wrong way to count CFR. You need to create a lag in the data, even for rough approximations. Deaths do not immediately happen upon diagnosis, which is what your rough analysis suggests. If you want a better approximate CFR, take yesterday's 7 day death average and divide it by the 7 day case average from a month ago (roughly the time from diagnosis to death these days). Pulling numbers from worldometer, you get: 1398/61685 = .023 (2.3%). Even if you only do a two week lag, you're looking at: 1398/102207 = .014 (1.4%),
Assuming the latter current CFR means you also have to assume we're doing a worse job of extending life post infection, which is not accurate either.

Doing it your way will make things look overly rosey when cases are increasing and worse than they actually are when cases decrease.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/1329547160090718212

I am amazed at the number of people that still don't think this is near far enough or near drastic enough of steps taken... and are literally screaming for 100% lockdown/shelter-in-place AND enforcement by law officers and steep fines for violations (as simple as not wearing a mask correctly).

This is just insane.
I've literally heard people call for the locking down of everything. And then stimulus checks given to everybody so that they could then go buy food. When pressed as to how they think they're going to go buy food, they just say they'll go to the store. But if everybody's locked down in their houses who's going to stock the store? Their answer is the food's already there. I kid you not they are this dumb. Not saying everybody is, but the people who are advocating for total lockdown of the entire country have no idea what they're calling for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
A complete snub?? Over-react much?

If Stitt deserves a facepalm, then I do as well. I am going to have a family Thanksgiving dinner. And I am going to the OSU game next weekend.
My family is going to have Thanksgiving dinner without a worry in the world. Everyone that will be there had it in August/September except me so we are all good to go.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It's easy to dump on physicians, but I'll never forget teaching family practice residents (in mental health) and watching so many break down at some point because a patient died that they blamed themselves for or felt powerless to help, especially after inpatient rotations. I'm not in clinic these days, but I can only imagine the frustration and utter hopelessness.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/oksde/status/1329808185138548737

What? You mean when kids went back to in-school learning we had a spike in new pediatric cases? Now who saw THAT coming?...
You know that's right. All those doctors that were saying it was perfectly fine for children to go back to school, were all just a bunch of idiots.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk