Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Our Oklahoma State Medical Examiner with 2-3 assistants has broad jurisdiction...over all unattended deaths who died without seeing a doctor, unexpected hospital deaths, and traumatic death. He has limited number of investigators, and too few pathologists to enable him to fully investigate every case. He has a tough very upleasant job.
Thanks. That jibes with what I recall about that office from a few years back. It seemed like the office was a total mess & woefully under-equipped.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Isn't COVID only behind Heart Disease and Cancer for causes of death this year?

I mean yeah it is only killing 1% but when you have 90K new cases a day it is obviously a huge concern.

And do Heart Disease and Cancer fall into the same short term preventable category as a virus would? Since they are not contagious? Cancer I wouldn't think is classified as preventable and Heart Disease is only preventable by long term lifestyle choices.
What we are learning by performing Covid-19 testing is that may people are infected with the virus but many have few if any symptoms of the virus. By definition we call any person tesing positive a "case". Therefore numbers of deaths divided my "cases"is very low.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Fury Over New Covid Lockdowns in Europe Threatens Compliance
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fury-o...ns-in-europe-threatens-compliance-11603999654

As governments once again shut businesses across Europe to stop a surge in coronavirus infections, acceptance of restrictions is fading and some small businesses are refusing to cooperate.

The sense of a common goal and solidarity with front-line medical workers evident in the spring has given way to frustration among restaurateurs, hoteliers, retailers and other business owners who are rapidly running through their financial reserves.

This month’s lockdowns are more targeted than in the spring and in some cases come with substantial aid for those affected. Yet they are raising more opposition everywhere, from lawsuits in Germany to riots and demonstrative flouting of the rules in Italy.

Restaurants, bars, clubs, entertainment and sport venues will largely close under the new measures. In France, curfews will confine people to their homes. Germany is barring hotels from hosting tourists for a month and banning normally legal prostitution.

“The government wasted the summer and didn’t prepare for the second wave which everyone knew was coming, and now they are using the same lockdown as before,” said Antonio Bragato, owner of the Il Calice restaurant in Berlin. “But this will not end the pandemic.”

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
What we are learning by performing Covid-19 testing is that may people are infected with the virus but many have few if any symptoms of the virus. By definition we call any person tesing positive a "case". Therefore numbers of deaths divided my "cases"is very low.
Actually... Covid may be 6X more prevalent than what is being reported.

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-is-6-fold-more-prevalent-than-reported-incidents-german-study-says/?utm_campaign=Daily Article&utm_content=144410096&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-10530620221

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Sucks this is happening in Oklahoma
https://twitter.com/tulsaworld/status/1323258608180731906
Statewide, we look to be trending in the right direction.

As of Friday, hospitalizations were down to 865.
Thursday: (no data released due to technical difficulties)
Wednesday: 885
Tuesday: 907
Monday: 924

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Statewide, we look to be trending in the right direction.

As of Friday, hospitalizations were down to 865.
Thursday: (no data released due to technical difficulties)
Wednesday: 885
Tuesday: 907
Monday: 924
I was more talking about the fact they are saying people are leaving the Health Care industry due to burn out and not returning in Oklahoma. We DO NOT need that right now!

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://twitter.com/swatlashoover/status/1323265995369230340?s=21
From the actual manuscript:

Finally, estimates of excess deaths attributed to COVID-19 might underestimate the actual number directly attributable to COVID-19, because deaths from other causes might represent misclassified COVID-19–related deaths or deaths indirectly caused by the pandemic. Specifically, deaths from circulatory diseases, Alzheimer disease and dementia, and respiratory diseases have increased in 2020 relative to past years (7), and it is unclear to what extent these represent misclassified COVID-19 deaths or deaths indirectly related to the pandemic (e.g., because of disruptions in health care access or utilization).

Deaths due to "lockdown" would be indirectly attributable to COVID-19 and therefore COVID-19-related deaths. Someone clearly can't read the article and is reading into it what he wants to see. Patients with circulatory diseases, Alzheimer disease and dementia, and respiratory diseases had these before Feb 1. They did not develop them after Feb 1.