Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't understand why you are talking lockdowns. Lockdowns was the furthest thing from my mind
Not necessarily directed at you, directed at what's being discussed in several parts of the country & world right now. The drumbeat of 'protect our hospitals' is being parroted again, & rightfully so, & it sounds great, right?

Most people, though, are unaware of the unintended terrible consequences that that approach brought earlier this year. Most people don't realize how bad the impact was, or how bad it would decimate hospitals if done again.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Damn, This kid is by far the best QB in NCAA football. It would suck if Clemson loses a game or two while he is out and don't make the Playoff.

I use to very much dislike watching him play and thought he was all Hype. But week in and week out he just keeps producing and at some point I had to agree he was damn good QB

Somehow I think the committee would take that into account.

Sep 12, 2008
Not necessarily directed at you, directed at what's being discussed in several parts of the country & world right now. The drumbeat of 'protect our hospitals' is being parroted again, & rightfully so, & it sounds great, right?

Most people, though, are unaware of the unintended terrible consequences that that approach brought earlier this year. Most people don't realize how bad the impact was, or how bad it would decimate hospitals if done again.
The law of unintended consequences is a cruel mistress..

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Damn, This kid is by far the best QB in NCAA football. It would suck if Clemson loses a game or two while he is out and don't make the Playoff.

I use to very much dislike watching him play and thought he was all Hype. But week in and week out he just keeps producing and at some point I had to agree he was damn good QB

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1321978308234481664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1321979646938894337%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Foutsider.com%2Fnews%2Fsports%2Fclemson-qb-trevor-lawrence-tests-positive-for-covid-19%2F
I noticed that he was not wearing a mask on his sideline standing close to another player. Somehow people feel masks are not needed among those they know. My recommendation to my family is to always assume every person you meet may have the virus...and act accordingly.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I noticed that he was not wearing a mask on his sideline standing close to another player. Somehow people feel masks are not needed among those they know. My recommendation to my family is to always assume every person you meet may have the virus...and act accordingly.
I've been surprised throughout the season on this.

The NFL makes a big deal & fines coaches on the mask issue after the first week or two of games, but players are standing around everywhere without masks. I don't get that at all. If the coaches and players are negative, why masks for one group & not the other?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Today the Oklahoma State Health Dept. our Covid-19 death rate of all who have tested positive is: 1.09%.
Again to me this is very low in comparison to other causes of death. Certainly we all need to take well
know steps to prevent Covid-19 deaths but not forget the other more common causes of often preventable causes of death.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
28 people getting it again in 90 Days of first case ??

https://twitter.com/maggiekb1/status/1321532388225155073
This is definitely concerning regarding reinfection.

It's also, what, the 5th or 6th time this has been said going back months? You've posted about it before, & thankfully we haven't heard much more afterward in terms of reinfection.

It would seem like ruling out false positives would be key here.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Today the Oklahoma State Health Dept. our Covid-19 death rate of all who have tested positive is: 1.09%.
Again to me this is very low in comparison to other causes of death. Certainly we all need to take well
know steps to prevent Covid-19 deaths but not forget the other more common causes of often preventable causes of death.
That would be good news if the numbers were going the right direction. What other common preventable death has doubled its deaths in 3 months? and increased its number of cases by 12K+ in 3 months

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
That would be good news if the numbers were going the right direction. What other common preventable death has doubled its deaths in 3 months? and increased its number of cases by 12K+ in 3 months
To my knowledge the other common causes of preventable deaths are not reported monthly so no. comparisons are possible. The last yearly total mortality report of all Oklahoma deaths I could find was for 2017. I don't know why it takes so long for them to report deaths from all causes.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
To my knowledge the other common causes of preventable deaths are not reported monthly so no. comparisons are possible. The last yearly total mortality report of all Oklahoma deaths I could find was for 2017. I don't know why it takes so long for them to report deaths from all causes.
Didn't it take like a year & a half to hire a State Medical Examiner a few years back? I seem to remember some fiasco where their chosen guy was found to have transported a body in the back of a pickup truck & that took him out of the running.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Isn't COVID only behind Heart Disease and Cancer for causes of death this year?

I mean yeah it is only killing 1% but when you have 90K new cases a day it is obviously a huge concern.

And do Heart Disease and Cancer fall into the same short term preventable category as a virus would? Since they are not contagious? Cancer I wouldn't think is classified as preventable and Heart Disease is only preventable by long term lifestyle choices.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Deaths lag cases by a month. Compare the deaths to the previous month's cases. It becomes closer. Still, we may have cut the death rate by more than half, even after adjusting for increased testing and demographic shifts in who's getting infected/tested.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1322171420412137474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1322171423373303810%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fkoanewsradio.iheart.com%2F
Almost like being an isolated country surrounded by countries who locked down is an advantage. Then being a state that is surrounded by states with various policies and millions of people freely flowing through from out of the area is a disadvantage.

They both seemed to have handled the first wave about the same. It is the after that is different. My guess is the open borders to millions of people is the biggest culprit.

Sweden went into only essential travel at their borders and it is in effect until Dec 2020.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Almost like being an isolated country surrounded by countries who locked down is an advantage. Then being a state that is surrounded by states with various policies and millions of people freely flowing through from out of the area is a disadvantage.

They both seemed to have handled the first wave about the same. It is the after that is different. My guess is the open borders to millions of people is the biggest culprit.

Sweden went into only essential travel at their borders and it is in effect until Dec 2020.
Similar to Australia's advantages in fighting this.

You point out the fallacy, though, in comparing some of the various sets of data from around the country & world, I don't disagree.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Similar to Australia's advantages in fighting this.

You point out the fallacy, though, in comparing some of the various sets of data from around the country & world, I don't disagree.
Yeah, NZ is another example of a country with lots of advantages.

Also Sweden has had limits on gatherings of over 50 people since April. So no sports, theatres, big weddings, etc. So not like they didn't have some form of "lock down" at all. They have had a ton of restrictions too.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Didn't it take like a year & a half to hire a State Medical Examiner a few years back? I seem to remember some fiasco where their chosen guy was found to have transported a body in the back of a pickup truck & that took him out of the running.
Our Oklahoma State Medical Examiner with 2-3 assistants has broad jurisdiction...over all unattended deaths who died without seeing a doctor, unexpected hospital deaths, and traumatic death. He has limited number of investigators, and too few pathologists to enable him to fully investigate every case. He has a tough very upleasant job.