Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I'll answer... I had it and recovered. 48 yrs old and probably in the best physical shape in my entire life. We are talking close to elite athlete level of health here. Actually, in early September I competed in a Conquer the Gauntlet obstacle course race in Tulsa (4.3 miles / 25 strength obstacles). About one week later I started having Covid symptoms WHILE on the road to Illinois for a wedding. The symptoms were very mild, (I actually thought I had just over done it in the gym) and there wasn't a damned thing we could do about it anyway so we went thru with our weekend plans. Got back to Oklahoma after 3 days in Illinois and I started going down hill. When I lost sense of taste and smell, I knew I better get tested, and ended up testing positive. Had about 8 days straight of low-grade fever, nausea, body ache, and the loss of taste/smell persisted for at least two weeks. What really pissed me off was in less than 8 days I lost over 10 lbs of lean muscle mass... a good 3 month's worth of work in the gym busting my ass, gone in 8 days. Had to force myself to eat and about the only thing I could stomach was frozen fruit. Anything else just made my nausea worse. Also, I had zero, never, not once, no respiratory symptoms... NONE.

I've had WAY worse flu's. I've had flu's where I literally wanted to die with pretty damned high fevers and WAY worse body aches... BUT those were like 2-3 day flu's. This bugger stuck around for awhile. AND the loss of taste/smell was infuriating and sure didn't help with forcing myself to eat.

Also, it had some after effects on me. I was only out of the gym with no training for 14 days. It's taken me a good 4 weeks now to recover my muscle stamina and endurance. The first week of workouts I just felt like I couldn't get a deep enough breath or get my breathing and heart rate to regulate. I struggled with workouts that just days before were easy to finish. But I'm pretty much back to regular "beast mode" now and I've even put 5 lbs of muscle back on.

I'll say this much about Covid. It's just smurfing odd. It does completely different things to completely different people. Through work, family and friends, I now know of at least 20 people who have tested positive for Covid. AND it's just damned odd. Let me give you some examples:

My 43 yr old girlfriend tested positive too at the same time as me of course. Her only symptom, loss of taste/smell. Zero other symptoms. We also had other family members in the same car with us all the way to Illinois and back (when I'm assuming we were both already positive) and visited and hugged lots of people at the wedding. Beings that most everything was outside, we rarely, if at all, wore masks and again, because it was family, we didn't distance ourselves. There was plenty of indoor stuff too. AND no one tested positive or ever got any symptoms. We didn't spread the virus to one single person that we know of. If it was as contagious as we are being told, I just can't fathom how we didn't unknowingly spread it.

Next weird example... I have a coworker who went to a family birthday party. I believe about 14-18 people at the event. Well someone at the event was positive and spread it to everyone at the birthday party... except for my coworker and her boyfriend. They never had any symptoms and took multiple tests and never tested positive.

I know of multiple friends and family where someone started feeling bad, got tested, tested positive, but the other people living in the same house never got the virus. Spouses where the husband actually got sick, wife took care of him totally expecting to get the virus too, and never did. And they took zero precautions.

Then of the people I know who have gotten it OR tested positive... the symptoms range from not a single solitary symptom ever, to just a minor headache, to routine seasonal allergy symptoms, tothe most severe being probably my case with fever and additional other symptoms.

It's.just.damned.odd. :(
This thing has made me wonder how many of us get the common flu virus(es) every year without knowing it. I always just kinda assumed if you contracted a virus like that, it would make you sick, but I guess that's not the case at all. And given the various flu strains have been in our population for generations, I have to think it's even more likely for our bodies to fight it off without us ever even realizing it.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Thought this was interesting: https://news.yahoo.com/florida-investigate-covid-19-deaths-002500194.html

Florida to investigate all COVID-19 deaths after questions about 'integrity' of data

Excerpt:
In a news release, officials highlighted concerns about 95 deaths reported to the state on Tuesday.

The department said 16 of the deaths occurred more than two months after the person tested positive, and 11 people died more than a month ago.

And in five cases, there was a three-month gap between the time of infection and death.

Palm Beach County had 50 of the COVID-19 deaths in the latest report, which shattered the previous one-day record of 27 deaths reported Aug. 7.

The state says it just learned about an 85-year-old Palm Beach County woman who died Sept. 27 — 3 1/2 months after she was diagnosed with COVID-19. In another case, an 87-year-old county woman died Oct. 1, more than three months after her positive test on June 25.

The issue involves numerous other counties, such as the new report of a 58-year-old Miami-Dade woman who tested positive June 23 and died Oct. 6. There were no Broward irregularities listed.

These delays raise red flags that have to be examined, according to Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Accurate numbers are extremely difficult to determine. For just one example...death is easy to determine...but how do we know death was caused by Covid-19? Just because a person dies with a positive Covid-19 test does not indicate that his death was caused by the virus. He may have died from another disorder unrealated to Covid-19. We know there are many comorbidities that are associated with a positive Covid-19 tests. Did the
patient die primarily because of the virus or die or with a positive test that had no bearing upon the death.
Its a very hard question.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Accurate numbers are extremely difficult to determine. For just one example...death is easy to determine...but how do we know death was caused by Covid-19? Just because a person dies with a positive Covid-19 test does not indicate that his death was caused by the virus. He may have died from another disorder unrealated to Covid-19. We know there are many comorbidities that are associated with a positive Covid-19 tests. Did the
patient die primarily because of the virus or die or with a positive test that had no bearing upon the death.
Its a very hard question.
I have heard it said, but haven’t seen it reported, that the number of deaths strictly tied to Covid (not where the person had other disease and Covid was a contributor) is about 6% of the reported US deaths. Is there any solid info out there on this?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
US figure was 62k yesterday? That is a huge number for France.
Would be about like 200k cases here. Their deaths are also increasing and approaching our numbers, roughly equivalent to 750 deaths per day here (averaging over the last week). They will likely exceed us soon since their average deaths per day have almost doubled over the last week.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Would be about like 200k cases here. Their deaths are also increasing and approaching our numbers, roughly equivalent to 750 deaths per day here (averaging over the last week). They will likely exceed us soon since their average deaths per day have almost doubled over the last week.
Fauci estimated that the US could hit 100K cases per day over this winter....and to think in terms of population France is already 2x that level of new cases per day this week.

Europe is in that 2nd wave and it is hitting like a damn steam hammer. 2nd wave for the US might be underestimated based on what we are seeing in Europe this week.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
especially for a country with a population of only 67 Million. US has 330 Million
Yep, we are 5x their population

Belgium and Netherlands are massive as well, euivalent to 400k and 200k here

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
What's happening in Europe is deeply disturbing.. did they all just return to life pre-covid?
Not sure but the Older population are the ones getting it now which can quickly drive up the deaths

Since early Sept the number of cases in 60+ age group in the UK has quadrupled
Germany is reporting the proportion of cases in the older age groups has been increasing since Sept
In France the 65+ age group number of cases has tripled in the last 6 weeks

In Spain at the outset the median age of those testing positive was age 40....by July that had dropped to 37....by mid Sept the median age of positive cases was back up to 39

88% of the Deaths in Europe are people in the 60+ age group

The European CDC considers it a "high" amount of if more than 60 people per day per 100,000 population in the age 65 or older category test positive.

As of this week 13 countries in Europe are WELL above that range for the 65+ age group

1603392735750.png

Last edited: