Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
Maybe they don’t expect volunteers to be able to keep up with COVID protocols when in a role that would potentially expose them to many contagious patients? It doesn’t seem difficult to grasp why this is a good idea.

If you’re really hard up for some Covid, I’m sure someone on Craig’s List would oblige.
View attachment 86425
You don't think it's a bad thing that our medical professionals are tasked with extra time consuming, lower-level duties that take away from their ability to provide care?
Also, that's quite a disrespectful statement about hospital volunteers. I'd expect that anyone willing to give their free time to help at a hospital would be the easiest to get on board with safety protocols.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You don't think it's a bad thing that our medical professionals are tasked with extra time consuming, lower-level duties that take away from their ability to provide care?
Also, that's quite a disrespectful statement about hospital volunteers. I'd expect that anyone willing to give their free time to help at a hospital would be the easiest to get on board with safety protocols.
If the safety protocols aren’t the issue, then what are you proposing is the purpose of this restriction? They are volunteers, so this isn’t a cost saving measure. That’s why I’m guessing it’s safety. I have great respect for hospital volunteers. I just don’t know how rigorous the protocols are. Maybe someone who works for a hospital could chime in on that.

The best way to avoid overwhelming healthcare workers is to wear a mask, wash your hands, and social distance.

Jan 14, 2006
If the safety protocols aren’t the issue, then what are you proposing is the purpose of this restriction? They are volunteers, so this isn’t a cost saving measure. That’s why I’m guessing it’s safety. I have great respect for hospital volunteers. I just don’t know how rigorous the protocols are. Maybe someone who works for a hospital could chime in on that.

The best way to avoid overwhelming healthcare workers is to wear a mask, wash your hands, and social distance.
I think the restriction is someone like you making a decision based on fear or liability and not factoring in how they are actually making things worse.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think the restriction is someone like you making a decision based on fear or liability and not factoring in how they are actually making things worse.
That’s why I asked for someone who works for a hospital to comment. Otherwise we’re throwing our worthless opinions back/forth on this. FYI - liability would mean avoiding the legal repercussions of a safety issue.

Nice ad hominem, BTW. Someone told me that was the ultimate sign of losing an argument.

Mar 11, 2006
It never ceases to amaze me how childish he can be. This tweet gave me PTSD from my middle school days.
Many times seems like he is intentionally losing the election. Gettting mad at Dr Fauci is beyond silly, but more importantly for his re-election efforts ... it is counter productive.
A doctors job is to provide educated advice. And to be cautious. I don’t follow everything he says because I know he is erring on the side of extreme caution, but the man is an expert in his field. Just a dumb argument for Trump to fight.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Many times seems like he is intentionally losing the election. Gettting mad at Dr Fauci is beyond silly, but more importantly for his re-election efforts ... it is counter productive.
A doctors job is to provide educated advice. And to be cautious. I don’t follow everything he says because I know he is erring on the side of extreme caution, but the man is an expert in his field. Just a dumb argument for Trump to fight.
We agreed on something? Whoa!

Mar 11, 2006
We agreed on something? Whoa!
I don’t think our views on Trump are that different. I am just not an anti-Trumper. I can view the things that he has done well (de-regulation, income taxes, judicial appointments) as positives and still view him as not a good leader because of his personal actions.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My city has moved from < 100 active cases to almost 200 active cases in the last week

https://twitter.com/kfor/status/1318218626470727682
It's going to rival initial surge numbers due to the new way we have been counting inflating the numbers since the day after labor day...deaths, however, should be way down as we should be catching far more asymptomatic cases. Either way we need to watch it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don’t think our views on Trump are that different. I am just not an anti-Trumper. I can view the things that he has done well (de-regulation, income taxes, judicial appointments) as positives and still view him as not a good leader because of his personal actions.
I'd agree with this...but I'm still voting for him over the lump of meat that the Democrats have running as the Anti-Trump candidate and the party backing him because they want extreme policy and massive government programs that would bankrupt Americans. Also the timing of this crappy year, IMHO, is on their back in their cheerleading for the Virus, Racial division, and anything else that will hurt the American economic machine...It's as if they have made a 2020 deal with the Devil to defeat trump and to hell with the American people that it lays waste too in it's wake. This is on them, not Trump.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That’s why I asked for someone who works for a hospital to comment. Otherwise we’re throwing our worthless opinions back/forth on this. FYI - liability would mean avoiding the legal repercussions of a safety issue.

Nice ad hominem, BTW. Someone told me that was the ultimate sign of losing an argument.
As someone who works at a hospital we suspended the Volunteer program in the very beginning out of fear that they would get the virus, get very ill or die and then maybe sue the system. So it's both. Also, I think some should have been given the choice to work and sign a waiver if they wanted to do that...In some instances, however, it's best they don't work if they are over certain ages or have health issues. However in the past this would not have been an issue. Volunteers, in the past, are willing to take on the risk of getting a virus or other illnesses in order to serve the public...It's just that this one was so new and hyped... and we didn't know all their risk...as time goes on I hope we can get them back as they do make a huge difference in patient and especially family care, and guest services. They are missed big time in my area.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I guess we should take the words of a radiologist as the ultimate expert in epidemiology and virology since we don’t have doctors who are trained in that field of study.
The first thing to understand is that all of us including Dr. Fauci are leaning about this virus as we go. Too many
listen to "experts" of their chooseing and fail to understand the magnitude of the problem.