Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
Once again, if you don't believe masks work then I invite you to go to Mercy, St. Anthony, or Baptist. Go to the COVID ward. Visit a COVID patient. Without a mask. Ask the patient to take their mask off. Invite them to cough on you. Stand close when they do it. Do all that and you'll convince me they're worthless.

Let me know when you do.
So, follow up to this. Even though I know you weren't serious. I did ask my wife about coming up there when she's treating a covid patient and obviously, no visitors are allowed but I did learn of an unintended consequence of the response. They no longer allow any volunteers to help with admits and other tasks. So now the regular hospital staff have to do extra work in addition to treating patients. Another case of the cure possibly being worse than the disease.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1318190328101376000
I read about that this morning, however the gov't calls them recommendations as they are not legally binding. The Swedes have a good history of following recommendations so will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
So, follow up to this. Even though I know you weren't serious. I did ask my wife about coming up there when she's treating a covid patient and obviously, no visitors are allowed but I did learn of an unintended consequence of the response. They no longer allow any volunteers to help with admits and other tasks. So now the regular hospital staff have to do extra work in addition to treating patients. Another case of the cure possibly being worse than the disease.
Maybe they don’t expect volunteers to be able to keep up with COVID protocols when in a role that would potentially expose them to many contagious patients? It doesn’t seem difficult to grasp why this is a good idea.

If you’re really hard up for some Covid, I’m sure someone on Craig’s List would oblige.
1603129924164.jpg

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I guess we should take the words of a radiologist as the ultimate expert in epidemiology and virology since we don’t have doctors who are trained in that field of study.

Jan 14, 2006
Maybe they don’t expect volunteers to be able to keep up with COVID protocols when in a role that would potentially expose them to many contagious patients? It doesn’t seem difficult to grasp why this is a good idea.

If you’re really hard up for some Covid, I’m sure someone on Craig’s List would oblige.
View attachment 86425
You don't think it's a bad thing that our medical professionals are tasked with extra time consuming, lower-level duties that take away from their ability to provide care?
Also, that's quite a disrespectful statement about hospital volunteers. I'd expect that anyone willing to give their free time to help at a hospital would be the easiest to get on board with safety protocols.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You don't think it's a bad thing that our medical professionals are tasked with extra time consuming, lower-level duties that take away from their ability to provide care?
Also, that's quite a disrespectful statement about hospital volunteers. I'd expect that anyone willing to give their free time to help at a hospital would be the easiest to get on board with safety protocols.
If the safety protocols aren’t the issue, then what are you proposing is the purpose of this restriction? They are volunteers, so this isn’t a cost saving measure. That’s why I’m guessing it’s safety. I have great respect for hospital volunteers. I just don’t know how rigorous the protocols are. Maybe someone who works for a hospital could chime in on that.

The best way to avoid overwhelming healthcare workers is to wear a mask, wash your hands, and social distance.

Jan 14, 2006
If the safety protocols aren’t the issue, then what are you proposing is the purpose of this restriction? They are volunteers, so this isn’t a cost saving measure. That’s why I’m guessing it’s safety. I have great respect for hospital volunteers. I just don’t know how rigorous the protocols are. Maybe someone who works for a hospital could chime in on that.

The best way to avoid overwhelming healthcare workers is to wear a mask, wash your hands, and social distance.
I think the restriction is someone like you making a decision based on fear or liability and not factoring in how they are actually making things worse.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think the restriction is someone like you making a decision based on fear or liability and not factoring in how they are actually making things worse.
That’s why I asked for someone who works for a hospital to comment. Otherwise we’re throwing our worthless opinions back/forth on this. FYI - liability would mean avoiding the legal repercussions of a safety issue.

Nice ad hominem, BTW. Someone told me that was the ultimate sign of losing an argument.