Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
This is such a mess. I stayed home with our 8 year old yesterday and struggled to get through the day of virtual schooling.

Honest question, which should be taken more seriously: the children's and teacher's risk of catching COVID or the setback in learning that is resulting from poorly planned virtual schooling?

The in-person argument
Children who have tested positive show little to no symptoms and seem to bounce back quicker than having a cold. With proper protocols, the infection rate at school is relatively low (at least in Norman). Kids are going to continue playing with other kids and rec sports have started back up without any precautions; therefore, they are just as likely if not more likely to catch it outside of school.

The virtual argument
There seems to be a dramatic setback in kids development since the Spring due to virtual learning. My son is in 3rd grade and they are having to reassess all the kids on basics which they should have learned a year or two ago. Virtual learning (should) require a parent to stay at home with the kid which may or may not be possible depending on the working situation. There is a chance some kids may go without a meal and/or experience higher chances of abuse. The virtual schooling is a confusing system of links/apps which the teachers are even having issues with. Young kids cannot stay focused watching a web video and doing work on their own.

I'm of the mindset that we continue to allow in-person schooling with proper safety measures in place. Precautions must be taken for any student, teacher or close family member who is high-risk, but that should have already been the case. Let these kids learn and develop properly or risk a year (or more) of development setback.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I do not mind sensible science based regulations in the public and surrounding areas serving the public. Mask mandates on private property in your own homes is not sensible
Agree. Just actually surprised to see you have "a line". Your posting during this entire pandemic "kinda made me feel like" the Govt could mandate anything, and you'd buy in to it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Agree. Just actually surprised to see you have "a line". Your posting during this entire pandemic "kinda made me feel like" the Govt could mandate anything, and you'd buy in to it.
people often feel like the things I post are things I support. Not the case. I post things that are relevant to the topic and being discuss and things that are actually happening surrounding the topic for others to discuss. Many cases people assume if I post it, then I agree with it. I also often post positions which are in opposition to the Echo Chamber that is OP to force the other side of the topic to be acknowledged or addressed. It is always health to look at all positions of the topic

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
people often feel like the things I post are things I support. Not the case. I post things that are relevant to the topic and being discuss and things that are actually happening surrounding the topic for others to discuss. Many cases people assume if I post it, then I agree with it. I also often post positions which are in opposition to the Echo Chamber that is OP to force the other side of the topic to be acknowledged or addressed. It is always health to look at all positions of the topic
You honestly believe what you just wrote?:facepalm:

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
This is such a mess. I stayed home with our 8 year old yesterday and struggled to get through the day of virtual schooling.

Honest question, which should be taken more seriously: the children's and teacher's risk of catching COVID or the setback in learning that is resulting from poorly planned virtual schooling?

The in-person argument
Children who have tested positive show little to no symptoms and seem to bounce back quicker than having a cold. With proper protocols, the infection rate at school is relatively low (at least in Norman). Kids are going to continue playing with other kids and rec sports have started back up without any precautions; therefore, they are just as likely if not more likely to catch it outside of school.

The virtual argument
There seems to be a dramatic setback in kids development since the Spring due to virtual learning. My son is in 3rd grade and they are having to reassess all the kids on basics which they should have learned a year or two ago. Virtual learning (should) require a parent to stay at home with the kid which may or may not be possible depending on the working situation. There is a chance some kids may go without a meal and/or experience higher chances of abuse. The virtual schooling is a confusing system of links/apps which the teachers are even having issues with. Young kids cannot stay focused watching a web video and doing work on their own.

I'm of the mindset that we continue to allow in-person schooling with proper safety measures in place. Precautions must be taken for any student, teacher or close family member who is high-risk, but that should have already been the case. Let these kids learn and develop properly or risk a year (or more) of development setback.
Hang in there man...

We just decided to home school our kids for a year. At least this way my wife could control things better, last year the Elearning was the most frustrating thing every for my wife and daughter. So far this year it's much smoother.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
100%. I know me. If you think you know me because a bunch of post on an internet forum, then you truly have no idea what it is to know a person.
How would I know anything about you, beyond what you post? That's just silly.

If you don't think the totality of your posts, & the frequency of posting from one perspective are revealing, then you post so much that you don't even see the picture that you, yourself are painting here.

The world of immediate overreaction & Twitter love you though.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I've been around long enough to realize that. But you have a pretty telling "lean".

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Hang in there man...

We just decided to home school our kids for a year. At least this way my wife could control things better, last year the Elearning was the most frustrating thing every for my wife and daughter. So far this year it's much smoother.
This morning they added a Chinese lesson for parents to teach the kids. WTF! :cursing:

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
H O R S E S H * T

Does this mean that OU students in dorms have to wear a mask all the time ?

One thing I don’t like about tweets is they don’t post the full story, just the catchy headline.

“The city council adopted an ordinance that states anyone hosting a social gathering of more than 25 people is required to wear masks, if social distancing is not possible.”

I don’t know that I agree with it but I understand it considering Norman is one of the two hottest Covid spots in Oklahoma right now.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014

The in-person argument

The virtual argument

My knee jerk reaction to this is to say that kids will be ok in their learning, there may be a slight setback, especially at the elementary level, but I don't think it is going to make or break them. In regards to being face to face with "full" capacity, I do not think this is a good idea right now. (I know a few districts in Texas are not requiring masks and are full face to face, I wonder how these schools are doing? Peaster ISD is one of these districts) I still worry about the long term effects of this stupid Covid...I personally would not want to be a teacher with possible exposure going face to face, nor would I feel comfortable sending my kid to school that is full face to face.
My daughter is a student at OSU, but had to be tested twice this semester, so is now home doing all online...I really hate it for her that she is not able to enjoy a full college experience like my other kids did.
Personally, I have gone back and forth many times on this whole Covid $h!+, to mask or not to mask, to go to a restaurant or not, is this overblown or are we not being cautious enough, All I know is that I am ready for this to be done...I hope some of my conspiracy friends are right, and it will get much better after the election!

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

The in-person argument

The virtual argument

My wife and I have been talking about this lately. She is a teacher and was talking about how so many of the kids are behind and how there are kids doing remote, but their parents aren't assisting.

I think that we see state testing done away with again this year. If not, we will see lawsuits very quickly arguing that the children didn't receive proper instruction and so they can't be held responsible for their test scores.

Education is going to be a mess for years to come...that's for sure.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
One thing I don’t like about tweets is they don’t post the full story, just the catchy headline.

“The city council adopted an ordinance that states anyone hosting a social gathering of more than 25 people is required to wear masks, if social distancing is not possible.”

I don’t know that I agree with it but I understand it considering Norman is one of the two hottest Covid spots in Oklahoma right now.
In order to social distance people properly per CDC guidelines. 25 people would require 1000 sq ft of open space and this would not allow them to move but be spaced properly. In order for them to follow CDC guidelines AND allow for social distancing and movement in that space it would require 5000 sq ft of open space.

I doubt there are many private homes in Norman that have a ball room type setting to properly social distance 25 people at their homes

Mar 11, 2006

The in-person argument

The virtual argument

I strongly feel that young people should be in-person school. I say this as a father with two in college, both adjusted their schedules to take as many in-person classes as possible, and a wife who is an elementary school counselor. My wife is 100% for in-person classes. Her school tried virtual for first 3 weeks, but it was showing that virtual is inferior to in-person.

All of their schools require masks and all have social distancing setup in classrooms.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Here's a thought...IF Binman thinks he's unbiased and just post things that are "out there," which I actually think he does believe that...Then how stinking much is the media biased to the liberal point of view?

This is the real problem with the USA at this moment in time and is a huge part of the draw of Trump because he goes directly up against the massively huge amount of left leaning media.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I strongly feel that young people should be in-person school. I say this as a father with two in college, both adjusted their schedules to take as many in-person classes as possible, and a wife who is an elementary school counselor. My wife is 100% for in-person classes. Her school tried virtual for first 3 weeks, but it was showing that virtual is inferior to in-person.

All of their schools require masks and all have social distancing setup in classrooms.
I don't think it will be too long before you see the "Ready Player One" classrooms start to emerge. Kids attending in class via Virtual Reality. VR tech is quickly accelerating right now and the new PS 5 will actually handle full 1080 HD VR with a 150 degree field of vision.

VR can actually trigger fight or flight responses in people because the brain really thinks they are in that setting being seen in VR. I don't see why this tech couldn't be applied to the class room as well.

Mar 11, 2006
I don't think it will be too long before you see the "Ready Player One" classrooms start to emerge. Kids attending in class via Virtual Reality. VR tech is quickly accelerating right now and the new PS 5 will actually handle full 1080 HD VR with a 150 degree field of vision.

VR can actually trigger fight or flight responses in people because the brain really thinks they are in that setting being seen in VR. I don't see why this tech couldn't be applied to the class room as well.
At this point, too many low income families still have no Internet at home or are wireless only. Wireless just doesn’t have the bandwidth for full time VR.
It could work for several schools, but schools in low income areas have such a high percentage of transient students it would be difficult for those areas.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Here's a thought...IF Binman thinks he's unbiased and just post things that are "out there," which I actually think he does believe that...Then how stinking much is the media biased to the liberal point of view?

This is the real problem with the USA at this moment in time and is a huge part of the draw of Trump because he goes directly up against the massively huge amount of left leaning media.
If you notice I post mostly stories of Republicans coming out against Trump. The Media is so left leaning bias they made all those Republicans and former Trump Admin spot holders speak out against Trump