Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Also, there’s a huge distinction between dying with the virus and dying of the virus. 200k plus will end up being laughable IMO.
I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...I'm not sure I agree with the numbers of covid deaths, but if a person dies from another ailment but also has covid, would they still have died without having covid, or did covid attack their body/immune system causing death?
If a person gets AIDS, they don't necessarily die from AIDS, but complications brought on by AIDS...

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
What did Bartlesville and Claremore do wrong? The number of deaths in those 2 cities seem way out of proportion. Older population? Poor hospitals? Large number of nursing home deaths?

Some 70% of Stillwater cases have been 18-49 so that may explain the low death rate. All 4 deaths were over 65 years old.
Bartlesville had a nursing home that was hit hard.

Jan 14, 2006
I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...I'm not sure I agree with the numbers of covid deaths, but if a person dies from another ailment but also has covid, would they still have died without having covid, or did covid attack their body/immune system causing death?
If a person gets AIDS, they don't necessarily die from AIDS, but complications brought on by AIDS...
Everyone who died of covid would have died anyway.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I wouldn’t compare this to AIDS. Covid deaths are coming from people already on death’s doorstep.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Univ of Tulsa has set up service to deliver daily meals to students who are quarantined in dorms. Removes Fall Break from their Sched to encourage students to stay on campus and not travel back home before the end of the semester

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Day 5 for my kids back to school. My sons math class is now down to 10 students out of 34. 1 kid in his math class tested positive on day 2 of school and they have now quarantined most of the class. My son was 1 row away from the "social distance" spacing from being quarantined.

Yesterday he had a substitute teacher in one class because the teacher is now quarantined after his 11 yr old son started showing signs of COVID. He son attends an elementary school here in town and they are now preparing to quarantine those students at the elementary that had class with his son and the high school classes he taught.....dependent on the Teachers family COVID test outcomes today

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
This is such a mess. I stayed home with our 8 year old yesterday and struggled to get through the day of virtual schooling.

Honest question, which should be taken more seriously: the children's and teacher's risk of catching COVID or the setback in learning that is resulting from poorly planned virtual schooling?

The in-person argument
Children who have tested positive show little to no symptoms and seem to bounce back quicker than having a cold. With proper protocols, the infection rate at school is relatively low (at least in Norman). Kids are going to continue playing with other kids and rec sports have started back up without any precautions; therefore, they are just as likely if not more likely to catch it outside of school.

The virtual argument
There seems to be a dramatic setback in kids development since the Spring due to virtual learning. My son is in 3rd grade and they are having to reassess all the kids on basics which they should have learned a year or two ago. Virtual learning (should) require a parent to stay at home with the kid which may or may not be possible depending on the working situation. There is a chance some kids may go without a meal and/or experience higher chances of abuse. The virtual schooling is a confusing system of links/apps which the teachers are even having issues with. Young kids cannot stay focused watching a web video and doing work on their own.

I'm of the mindset that we continue to allow in-person schooling with proper safety measures in place. Precautions must be taken for any student, teacher or close family member who is high-risk, but that should have already been the case. Let these kids learn and develop properly or risk a year (or more) of development setback.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I do not mind sensible science based regulations in the public and surrounding areas serving the public. Mask mandates on private property in your own homes is not sensible
Agree. Just actually surprised to see you have "a line". Your posting during this entire pandemic "kinda made me feel like" the Govt could mandate anything, and you'd buy in to it.