Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just remember that Oklahoma JUST changed it's reporting method on Tuesday and we are now showing as one of the leading states for covid case growth...God knows the press is a bunch of morons and not looking for truth only a support of their narrative. Btw, the growth of cases in Oklahoma isn't reality, it's manufactured by our now reporting of probable cases and NOT changing our past numbers to also report for probable cases. So disregard ANY story you see of case growth in Oklahoma because it's BS (one is a FALSE headline in the Tulsa World today). I cannot believe our governor allowed that to be done. Highly disappointed in him right now...granted maybe he tried and was overruled.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Just remember that Oklahoma JUST changed it's reporting method on Tuesday and we are now showing as one of the leading states for covid case growth...God knows the press is a bunch of morons and not looking for truth only a support of their narrative. Btw, the growth of cases in Oklahoma isn't reality, it's manufactured by our now reporting of probable cases and NOT changing our past numbers to also report for probable cases. So disregard ANY story you see of case growth in Oklahoma because it's BS (one is a FALSE headline in the Tulsa World today). I cannot believe our governor allowed that to be done. Highly disappointed in him right now...granted maybe he tried and was overruled.
Accurate case numbers depend upon what is called a "case". Is it only those who have been tested positive...I assume that is the case. How are deaths counted? It is extremely difficult to determine if a person died because of the virus or only died with the virus.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Accurate case numbers depend upon what is called a "case". Is it only those who have been tested positive...I assume that is the case. How are deaths counted? It is extremely difficult to determine if a person died because of the virus or only died with the virus.
Because of delays and challenges in testing Oklahoma is now following other guidelines that for probable cases, you don't have to wait for a confirmed positive to report it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Because of delays and challenges in testing Oklahoma is now following other guidelines that for probable cases, you don't have to wait for a confirmed positive to report it.
When they did that it shows we had a big increase when it’s just a different model. Why would it be so hard to go back so we can see that it’s not a big increase just a different way of counting?

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'll bet it's within normal range.
I honestly have no clue which way it will fall. My guess is that it will be higher than 2019, but within a normal enough range of growth that it won't be easy to discern if it's COVID related or not as I believe the # of deaths grows with population, but I think there is some variability between years.

Both sides will point to it and say "See?!"

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I honestly have no clue which way it will fall. My guess is that it will be higher than 2019, but within a normal enough range of growth that it won't be easy to discern if it's COVID related or not as I believe the # of deaths grows with population, but I think there is some variability between years.

Bet that normal causes of death are reduced in a way that doesn’t match the trend and covid death is in the top 2-4 causes and all ends pretty close to the same

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Bet that normal causes of death are reduced in a way that doesn’t match the trend and covid death is in the top 2-4 causes and all ends pretty close to the same
It will be interesting (if that's the right word) to see how this all shakes out. I'm guessing things like car wrecks and deaths by other infectious diseases will be down but heart attacks and strokes, as well as violent deaths like murder and suicide will be up. For better or worse (mostly worse) the virus has permeated all of our lives and actions no matter how big of a threat we see it.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Nope. 164,937 excess deaths through July. About 10% more than the Covid deaths at that point.
https://www.sciencealert.com/2020-has-killed-up-to-200-000-extra-people-in-the-us-so-far
The number of deaths in the United States through July 2020 is 8 percent to 12 percent higher than it would have been if the coronavirus pandemic had never happened.
That's at least 164,937 deaths above the number expected for the first seven months of the year – 16,183 more than the number attributed to COVID-19 thus far for that period – and it could be as high as 204,691.