Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
But just don’t close schools - that does not help.
Neither does the "OPEN ALL DA SCHOOLS' Trump approach either as many many college and high school campuses closing again have shown us.

Trump doesn't have a targeted plan to get schools back in session safely and Biden is laying out a plan to hire teachers to support smaller school classes and implementing safety procedures in schools for them to operate in the "new normal".

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Neither does the "OPEN ALL DA SCHOOLS' Trump approach either as many many college and high school campuses closing again have shown us.

Trump doesn't have a targeted plan to get schools back in session safely and Biden is laying out a plan to hire teachers to support smaller school classes and implementing safety procedures in schools for them to operate in the "new normal".
with what money? and passed by what congress? Teachers were and have been getting let go during this virus.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
And Kamala also said she wants to give 2k per person and 2k per dependent retroactive to March and to 3 months post pandemic.

Dem plans- Promise money and try to buy votes.
Trump already gave me and my wife and my 2 dependents $1200 each and Mitch said they are willing to talk spending in the $1 Trillion range.

Promise money to buy votes? I've already gotten money from the POTUS (he "signed" all the checks LOL)

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And Kamala also said she wants to give 2k per person and 2k per dependent retroactive to March and to 3 months post pandemic.

Dem plans- Promise money and try to buy votes.
Promising money and buying votes from different people than Republicans. Not excusing it. It’s not ideal either way.

But the original point is having a plan for schools. It’s been a mess for administrators trying to figure this out without any guidance or assistance. I have relatives in school administrations who have stated this.

Mar 11, 2006

The couple of schools that I am aware of have a ton of safety protocols. What has Biden laid out that is incremental, and beneficial, to those protocols?

But more importantly, should the President be putting together school safety plans? All school have local leadership - shouldn’t they be making safety plans? Like they have been. Why would Owasso HS need Trump or Biden to implement “safety procedures in schools for them to operate“?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Promising money and buying votes from different people than Republicans. Not excusing it. It’s not ideal either way.

But the original point is having a plan for schools. It’s been a mess for administrators trying to figure this out without any guidance or assistance. I have relatives in school administrations who have stated this.
Who are republicans trying to buy votes from?

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The couple of schools that I am aware of have a ton of safety protocols. What has Biden laid out that is incremental, and beneficial, to those protocols?

But more importantly, should the President be putting together school safety plans? All school have local leadership - shouldn’t they be making safety plans? Like they have been. Why would Owasso HS need Trump or Biden to implement “safety procedures in schools for them to operate“?
You do know there are different levels of governance, right? It doesn’t mean they would regulate what schools can/can’t do, but they could provide guidelines and protocols schools can adopt instead of making it up as they go without any expertise or resources. What’s the point of a federal department of education, if they can’t pool resources to provide guidance during times of uncertainty like this?

Mar 11, 2006
You do know there are different levels of governance, right? It doesn’t mean they would regulate what schools can/can’t do, but they could provide guidelines and protocols schools can adopt instead of making it up as they go without any expertise or resources. What’s the point of a federal department of education, if they can’t pool resources to provide guidance during times of uncertainty like this?
Not for this thread, but I personally think that department should be eliminated on the federal level.

Don‘t we have CDC for guidelines? I do know levels of governance. How many levels do we need providing advice and recommendations. How many large city or counties don’t have health departments that are already also giving advice? I don’t see how Biden/Trump add much value on schools safety protocols.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
For another major outbreak, this solution is definitely not near complete, but instead of general lockdowns, have resource be targeted to vulnerable population. Provide funding for fast testing for nursing homes, fund quarantine areas for older population, push for stores to offer special hours for seniors, etc.
But just don’t close schools - that does not help.
I think most of these are a good start. Early on, we used the blunt instrument we had. With more information. We can be more precise.

The jury is still out on school. Hoping for the best, but it’s not even Labor Day and we just don’t know yet.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Well, you can draw conclusions based on corporate welfare, tax cuts, military spending, proposals for school vouchers, etc.
aahhh draw conclusions versus direct. "Our party wants to cut each and every person a check". Republicans, instead of providing people straight cash for sitting on butts, want to make it so a job can be had and also in defense of our country. Guess you see 'buying votes' a bit differently than I do.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Betsy DeVos and other Education and epidemiologist leaders should have been holding Virtual Meetings for each States education leaders at the start of July getting them ready.

However, the CDC didn't release any guidelines until the end of July and when they found that many schools couldn't follow those guidelines and Trump called them too expensive by early August......then they released new guidelines on August 21st...well after some schools had already gone back

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
aahhh draw conclusions versus direct. "Our party wants to cut each and every person a check". Republicans, instead of providing people straight cash for sitting on butts, want to make it so a job can be had and also in defense of our country. Guess you see 'buying votes' a bit differently than I do.
OK. At least your last sentence is accurate.