Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I bet you get some death threats if you wear a Cowboys jersey in a Philly bar on gameday. Possibly some drinks thrown or "spilled" on you as well. Thats probably a better comparison.
You're right though no one should be given death threats for their opinions on public safety, even when he wasn't exactly following it at the game. But people in general are A-holes. especially on the internet.

Have you not browsed comments even on these boards for very long??
Fauci was talking about getting death threats in early April. I don’t remember any of my friends even mentioning his name until his horrible first pitch. That took his level of fame way, way up. You can’t control what kooks are going to do but you can control your own decisions. I just have the mindset that I’m always going to make the best decisions I can that way when something goes wrong I can look myself in the mirror and know I’m not a contributing factor. I don’t think expecting this to be a perfect world or thinking you can control what the crazies do is the best way to live life—especially if you have a degree of fame. Just my $0.02...

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Fauci was talking about getting death threats in early April. I don’t remember any of my friends even mentioning his name until his horrible first pitch. That took his level of fame way, way up. You can’t control what kooks are going to do but you can control your own decisions. I just have the mindset that I’m always going to make the best decisions I can that way when something goes wrong I can look myself in the mirror and know I’m not a contributing factor. I don’t think expecting this to be a perfect world or thinking you can control what the crazies do is the best way to live life—especially if you have a degree of fame. Just my $0.02...
Fauci was given Fed Govt protection in April, but his family wasn't

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Covid death numbers in states with high case totals?

Any reason why the deaths numbers in comparable sunbelt population states are so much lower than what NY experienced with similar positive case numbers?

My assumptions are:
1. Younger populations infected in sunbelt?
2. Better treatments and early testing finding more cases early?
3. They are NOT over reporting Covid deaths and perhaps NY and NJ did?
4. The deaths in the sunbelt states aren't being reported? or are delayed?
5. More built in social distance and a healthier population?

Anyway, it's just interesting to me that NY had 34K deaths and Florida / Texas / California all have around 8K deaths each all with similar and larger populations and more positive case numbers.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
2% positive rate in NFL training camps. This is manageable. NFL needs a bubble. I NEED FOOTBALL

I have worked since the spring to grow a crap ton of Jalapenos in my garden which this week I will smoke and dry and make my own chipolte and then turn that into a dry rub for smoking meats....I NEED Football in my life to drink beer and eat smoked meats in the fall with!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I’ve been working from home for 3 years now. The biggest change for me is not going into clients’ offices and no longer doing networking meetings. I also know folks who have said they get more done from home because they don’t have as many meetings or a commute.

But maybe that’s not what you mean by “working.”
Someone had mentioned running out of rum and I was a little jealous of those working from home. I know a ton of people work from home including my neighbors and I'm just jealous of that luxury a little.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
2% positive rate in NFL training camps. This is manageable. NFL needs a bubble. I NEED FOOTBALL

I have worked since the spring to grow a crap ton of Jalapenos in my garden which this week I will smoke and dry and make my own chipolte and then turn that into a dry rub for smoking meats....I NEED Football in my life to drink beer and eat smoked meats in the fall with!
Can you explain these two comments when placed together?
1. This is manageable
2. NFL needs a bubble
I'm not sure why, if it's manageable, the NFL would need a "bubble?" Honestly just am not clear on why if it's manageable in it's current form it would need it?

Btw, your chipotle and dry rub sounds unbelievable. Hope you get to use it while enjoying Cowboy Touchdowns all fall and into the winter!

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Can you explain these two comments when placed together?
1. This is manageable
2. NFL needs a bubble
I'm not sure why, if it's manageable, the NFL would need a "bubble?" Honestly just am not clear on why if it's manageable in it's current form it would need it?

Btw, your chipotle and dry rub sounds unbelievable. Hope you get to use it while enjoying Cowboy Touchdowns all fall and into the winter!
I mean that they are just now getting into training camps and only a 2% positive rate. They need to keep this going and as MLB has proven, outside of a bubble it is almost impossible to do. The NHL and NBA have proven the bubble works.

My hope is the NFL takes the so far proven method to go forward and not try to expand on the already mostly failed MLB method. MLB can stand to cancel a few games even with their shorted 50 game sched. NFL can't stand to miss or postpone games in a 16 game season

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Isn't everyone getting death threats now? Hell, if you're not getting death threats, you're doing it wrong.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Man it floors me to think so many people are still “working” from home. Meanwhile I’ve not missed a day, other than vacation, at the office. Of course, my office is the hospital.
I moved to working from home in March, and have been more efficient here than in the office. It's the exact same work I was doing before, just at the house. It's definitely still work and not "work".

Nov 6, 2010
Someone had mentioned running out of rum and I was a little jealous of those working from home. I know a ton of people work from home including my neighbors and I'm just jealous of that luxury a little.
There are definitely pros and cons to it. The pros are obvious with being able to do some chores around the house, no commute, etc. But there are definitely negatives as well. There is no substitute for direct interaction with your co-workers, so you get detached from things that can impact your effectiveness. After having done it now for a few years, my optimal set up would be to go into the office two days a week, and work from home the other 3.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'll admit that it's pretty cool. I was very apprehensive about it at first for a number of reasons, but it's turned out pretty well. Being busy has helped, and the screensharing/conferencing/communication tech is so good right now that it's made the transition pretty easy.

Pros
Better coffee at the house
no commute (time / gas $$$ / miles on truck)
no time getting ready for work
I wear more comfortable clothes all day
no collateral distractions from open office noise <---- really nice
I get to eat breakfast and lunch with my wife and 2 year old <---- Biggest perk
overall less human interaction, which helps me have more energy to spend on the people I want to interact with
Freedom to run errands and/or watch the small one when necessary
Opens the door for future full-time remote work, which enables us to consider living further away from OKC

Cons
No plotter, so I have to markup drawings on the screen (I prefer paper)
No face to face interaction with people, so less human connection
No office banter, which creates a little disconnect from company culture
Harder to mentor people as effectively when you're not sitting next to them
Easier to become complacent if not busy

Last edited: