Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
No one is saying he shouldn't be able to go do that. The problem is he put himself in a situation to be threatened. Kind of like going out to a rowdy bar to enjoy the game with your buddies and being pissed when you get a drink spilled on you. Sure the guy who did it is an A-hole but you put yourself in the situation to potentially get beer spilled on you. I realize comparing a death threat to beer is not similar however but he does know he's a public figure whether he wants to be or not.
You already alluded to this, but that is not a relevant comparison - at all. It’s more like going to a rowdy bar and getting upset about people making death threats. No one would say, “Well, you were asking for death threats by going to a bar.” Spilling beer is a mistake and is an understood risk of hanging in a bar. Completely different scenario.

He didn’t “put himself in a situation to be threatened.” He threw out a ceremonial pitch for his favorite team. He attended a baseball game. The vitriolic hatred people are spewing against him is what “put him in a situation to be threatened.” Demonizing a scientist who is doing his job (whether you think he’s done a great job or not) is what contributes to this.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Man, it is a detriment for me. I am starting way too early, and have been for a while. I need the office, or some help I think, or maybe I'm just out of rum.
Man it floors me to think so many people are still “working” from home. Meanwhile I’ve not missed a day, other than vacation, at the office. Of course, my office is the hospital.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
You already alluded to this, but that is not a relevant comparison - at all. It’s more like going to a rowdy bar and getting upset about people making death threats. No one would say, “Well, you were asking for death threats by going to a bar.” Spilling beer is a mistake and is an understood risk of hanging in a bar. Completely different scenario.

He didn’t “put himself in a situation to be threatened.” He threw out a ceremonial pitch for his favorite team. He attended a baseball game. The vitriolic hatred people are spewing against him is what “put him in a situation to be threatened.” Demonizing a scientist who is doing his job (whether you think he’s done a great job or not) is what contributes to this.
I bet you get some death threats if you wear a Cowboys jersey in a Philly bar on gameday. Possibly some drinks thrown or "spilled" on you as well. Thats probably a better comparison.
You're right though no one should be given death threats for their opinions on public safety, even when he wasn't exactly following it at the game. But people in general are A-holes. especially on the internet.

Have you not browsed comments even on these boards for very long??

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Man it floors me to think so many people are still “working” from home. Meanwhile I’ve not missed a day, other than vacation, at the office. Of course, my office is the hospital.
I’ve been working from home for 3 years now. The biggest change for me is not going into clients’ offices and no longer doing networking meetings. I also know folks who have said they get more done from home because they don’t have as many meetings or a commute.

But maybe that’s not what you mean by “working.”

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I bet you get some death threats if you wear a Cowboys jersey in a Philly bar on gameday. Possibly some drinks thrown or "spilled" on you as well. Thats probably a better comparison.
You're right though no one should be given death threats for their opinions on public safety, even when he wasn't exactly following it at the game. But people in general are A-holes. especially on the internet.

Have you not browsed comments even on these boards for very long??
I get the sarcasm (and loved that scene in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), but yeah I have seen plenty of comments on these boards.
1596724961815.png

I just didn’t care for the “that’s what you get” message regarding his daughters getting death threats. I’m sure he has already gotten plenty himself, but I can understand how it would be unnerving to have it affect your children this way.

We can move on though. I feel like I’m dragging this on longer than necessary.

BTW - love the profile pic. Danny McBride’s story is pretty interesting. I heard his interview on Dax Shepherd’s Armchair Expert podcast. Small beginnings and almost didn’t make it. As a kid, his parents both worked at Quantico and he lived on a prison ground for a time.