Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Can’t condone or minimize anyone getting threatened but one recommendation I would make is not throwing out a first pitch at a highly publicized mlb game. We all know kooks are out there on both sides of the fence. It’s probably better to downplay your celebrity and not purposely enhance it.
Victim shaming? C’mon.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Victim shaming? C’mon.
He's not shaming him for doing what he's done. Merely stating that any public figure, in politics especially, opens themselves up to potential crazy people coming after them or their families. Look at all the past presidents keeping their secret service forever after leaving office. He made himself a political figure whether he meant to or not.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
He's not shaming him for doing what he's done. Merely stating that any public figure, in politics especially, opens themselves up to potential crazy people coming after them or their families. Look at all the past presidents keeping their secret service forever after leaving office. He made himself a political figure whether he meant to or not.
You can only control your own actions and decisions. Not anybody else’s. I understand Fauci having concerns about the negatives of fame & politics and how that makes you a target. But at the same time he’s indulging in the positives of fame and feeding the monster. It’s just not the choice I would make if I had the fears he’s talking about. And those fears should be very real for him because we are talking about people who’ve lost loved ones, businesses, jobs, etcetera. I think that gets lost in all of this as so many people focus on Trump. But there’s some legitimately down, desperate, and angry people out there that could not care less about Trump or Biden. And those are the scary people.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
It’s a bit of scapegoating Fauci for the death threats his family is receiving. The people responsible for the death threats are the jerks making the threats. If Fauci gets invited to throw out the first pitch for the Nationals (of whom he is a huge fan), he should be able to do so without enduring death threats. It’s ridiculous to even imply (and the implication is there) that he shares ANY of the responsibility for that.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
It’s a bit of scapegoating Fauci for the death threats his family is receiving. The people responsible for the death threats are the jerks making the threats. If Fauci gets invited to throw out the first pitch for the Nationals (of whom he is a huge fan), he should be able to do so without enduring death threats. It’s ridiculous to even imply (and the implication is there) that he shares ANY of the responsibility for that.
No one is saying he shouldn't be able to go do that. The problem is he put himself in a situation to be threatened. Kind of like going out to a rowdy bar to enjoy the game with your buddies and being pissed when you get a drink spilled on you. Sure the guy who did it is an A-hole but you put yourself in the situation to potentially get beer spilled on you. I realize comparing a death threat to beer is not similar however but he does know he's a public figure whether he wants to be or not.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Remdesivir manufacture Gilead has just set the price for their COVID-19 treatment at $2,300 to $3,100 per person.

It has been revealed that it costs Gilead $1 per vial to produce

The Pennsylvania State Treasure's office released a statement calling on other states to join them in pressing Gilead to reconsider the price as tax payers have paid million to already help develop it

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Remdesivir manufacture Gilead has just set the price for their COVID-19 treatment at $2,300 to $3,100 per person.

It has been revealed that it costs Gilead $1 per vial to produce

The Pennsylvania State Treasure's office released a statement calling on other states to join them in pressing Gilead to reconsider the price as tax payers have paid million to already help develop it
What did Remdesivir cost before Covid became a thing? I would think price gouging their $1 net cost would be something the government would regulate.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
What did Remdesivir cost before Covid became a thing? I would think price gouging their $1 net cost would be something the government would regulate.
An article I read said a fair price is around $2800. There’s a sticker shock to seeing that $3100 but apparently to whatever level they inflating the price it’s not necessarily egregious.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm pretty sure it had never been released until COVID so didn't have pricing.

It was developed in 2009 to treat Hep C. But it didn't do that. Then it was tried out against Ebola and Marburg virus and it didn't help.

However, the CDC and Gilead found it did have some effect against filoviruses, pneumoviruses, paramyxoviruses, and coronaviruses...so they got a patent for it in 2010.

In Jan 2020 when the pandemic was breaking out globally Gilead broke out Remdesivir and begin studying it for use to treat COVID-19 and have had some success with only some mid/major Liver side effects in very few and nausea in many

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
An article I read said a fair price is around $2800. There’s a sticker shock to seeing that $3100 but apparently to whatever level they inflating the price it’s not necessarily egregious.
I've read a couple that put its "value" at $310 for a treatment (remember a treatment is 6 viles over multiple injections)

I've also read that the fair value was $1500 to $2100