Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bay Area Poke

Banned
Banned
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
The point is early adoption of masks were an effective strategy. We started too late. It became a political statement. We aren’t seeing the same results because we waited too long and are still building compliance. So, when people say masks aren’t working, it is probably because we’re still catching up and the initial spread is negatively impacting efficacy. Ultimately, it would be counterproductive to argue masks are detrimental without hard evidence that is the case. Instead, it would be better to bend the culture toward using masks more effectively.

We llike to think we’re open minded. But we all have biases and make irrational decisions. I realize I’m also in that camp. We make faulty assumptions about causation all the time. Did wearing masks cause people to disregard social distancing, or is it because they are experiencing COVID fatigue? Were they truly social distancing before the mask mandate? We can make all kinds of assumptions, but our best bet is to look at large cross sections of objective data to understand trends and causation. Not all of it is easy to find, but a fair amount is available with some Google searches and an understanding of which sources are credible.
I’ve reconsidered your point on early adoption of wearing masks and how that impacts new spikes in places where mask wearing has been around for four months or so. I simply don’t see how that impacts my question. But I will move on now as we are going in circles here.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Aaaaand back to working from home effective tomorrow. At least until the end of this month. :blink::blink::blink:
I really don't understand the timeframes that various organizations are putting in place. What do they think will be different one month from now? Reality is that we'll be dealing with this on a massive scale until we see some form of herd immunity, the virus randomly moves on from humans, or we develop a vaccine.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I really don't understand the timeframes that various organizations are putting in place. What do they think will be different one month from now? Reality is that we'll be dealing with this on a massive scale until we see some form of herd immunity, the virus randomly moves on from humans, or we develop a vaccine.
Yeah, there's a lot of us scratching our heads this go 'round. The first "work from home" decision was understandable as it was a lot of unknowns. This one is kinda odd... and honestly, bad timing.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah, there's a lot of us scratching our heads this go 'round. The first "work from home" decision was understandable as it was a lot of unknowns. This one is kinda odd... and honestly, bad timing.
We've been mainly working from home (except for laborers) since March and they haven't ever tried to set an end date. I go in maybe once a week just to take care of some things that I physically have to be in the building for but I plan on continuing to work from home as long as I can. Especially since my kid will be home for virtual learning for at least the fall semester. I'm just as, if not more, productive at home as I am at work since I don't have a bunch of people around to distract me. Most of the day it's just me working and our pet rabbit sleeping in his indoor run that's in my home office. Plus I have WAY better coffee at home than we have at work... :D

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We've been mainly working from home (except for laborers) since March and they haven't ever tried to set an end date. I go in maybe once a week just to take care of some things that I physically have to be in the building for but I plan on continuing to work from home as long as I can. Especially since my kid will be home for virtual learning for at least the fall semester. I'm just as, if not more, productive at home as I am at work since I don't have a bunch of people around to distract me. Most of the day it's just me working and our pet rabbit sleeping in his indoor run that's in my home office. Plus I have WAY better coffee at home than we have at work... :D
Nearly identical scenario for me. And we've been given the freedom to work from home or in the office as we see fit.

Edit: Sipping on said way better coffee right now, actually.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Nearly identical scenario for me. And we've been given the freedom to work from home or in the office as we see fit.

Edit: Sipping on said way better coffee right now, actually.
Basically how we're working right now. I think the only people that are being required to come in are the department managers. The rest of us are just coming in when we need to. They even let us bring home docks and an extra monitor to work on. 90% of my job I can do from home, I just occasionally have to test a valve or something that I can't do at home for obvious reasons.

Yep, probably about to fix some ice coffee (Aeropress) from Coffee Slingers myself. :)

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Basically how we're working right now. I think the only people that are being required to come in are the department managers. The rest of us are just coming in when we need to. They even let us bring home docks and an extra monitor to work on. 90% of my job I can do from home, I just occasionally have to test a valve or something that I can't do at home for obvious reasons.

Yep, probably about to fix some ice coffee (Aeropress) from Coffee Slingers myself. :)
I've been doing pourovers from EOTE whole bean (Byways blend).

Luckily for me, I can do all the stuff I did before with a few adjustments. I brought both my monitors and tower home, and have done remote through VPN to our server. At some point I'll probably try to get a better home laptop setup so I can move the tower back to the office. Bluebeam, shift+Windows+S, and Google Hangouts (or Meet) have bee in constant use since being home. We were fortunate to be in an industry where we could mostly move remotely and see next to zero impacts once we all adjusted to the remote nature of operating.

Nov 6, 2010
I've been doing pourovers from EOTE whole bean (Byways blend).

Luckily for me, I can do all the stuff I did before with a few adjustments. I brought both my monitors and tower home, and have done remote through VPN to our server. At some point I'll probably try to get a better home laptop setup so I can move the tower back to the office. Bluebeam, shift+Windows+S, and Google Hangouts (or Meet) have bee in constant use since being home. We were fortunate to be in an industry where we could mostly move remotely and see next to zero impacts once we all adjusted to the remote nature of operating.
Yea, coffee, that's what I'm sipping.....

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Here’s the full quote:

“Trump: What’s the definition of control? Yeah, right now I think it’s under control. I’ll tell you what....

Interviewer: (Interrupts) How? A thousand Americans are dying a day.

Trump: They are dying. That’s true, and you have, it is what it is. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t doing everything we can. It’s under control as much as you can control it. This is a horrible plague that has beset us.“

Really good and tough interview. In fact the interviewer was interrupting Trump more than I like to see as at times it messed up the flow of the conversation. The guy was very hostile toward Trump and Trump handled it very well. I was impressed.

https://youtu.be/zaaTZkqsaxY
You and I must be living in two different worlds. It seems we look at the same things and see something completely different each time. This is just another example.

I laughed at your comment, but realized I had only seen a portion of this interview and you had posted the entirety of it. So, I watched all of it during a break. It was even worse than the clip I watched previously.

I honestly cannot see how you can come to these conclusions. The interviewer was not hostile. He just didn’t let Trump run over him and hijack the narrative. He was actually very calm and polite despite Trump interrupting him several times. He did interrupt Trump often, but he did it fairly respectfully and many times it was to ask Trump to let him finish his statement (because Trump interrupted the interviewer).

Second, I cannot fathom how anyone can say Trump did a good job here. It’s laughable. Literally. Even the interviewer couldn’t keep a straight face. How can you say Trump impressed you? This is way beneath the standards of previous presidents (Republican or Democrat).

I’m starting to think you’re either baiting people (and I’m dumb enough to take it) or you don’t believe what you’re saying and are simply making strawmen for me to knock down.

Oct 7, 2008
You and I must be living in two different worlds. It seems we look at the same things and see something completely different each time. This is just another example.

I laughed at your comment, but realized I had only seen a portion of this interview and you had posted the entirety of it. So, I watched all of it during a break. It was even worse than the clip I watched previously.

I honestly cannot see how you can come to these conclusions. The interviewer was not hostile. He just didn’t let Trump run over him and hijack the narrative. He was actually very calm and polite despite Trump interrupting him several times. He did interrupt Trump often, but he did it fairly respectfully and many times it was to ask Trump to let him finish his statement (because Trump interrupted the interviewer).

Second, I cannot fathom how anyone can say Trump did a good job here. It’s laughable. Literally. Even the interviewer couldn’t keep a straight face. How can you say Trump impressed you? This is way beneath the standards of previous presidents (Republican or Democrat).

I’m starting to think you’re either baiting people (and I’m dumb enough to take it) or you don’t believe what you’re saying and are simply making strawmen for me to knock down.
I think Trump supporters are so used to the softball interviews he gets with Fox and even a lot of left-leaning outlets that when they see someone not just let him go off on his five minute rants that aren't based in any sort of reality, it looks hostile to them.

Bay Area Poke

Banned
Banned
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK

As a courtesy I’m going to let you know that I will be putting you on ignore so that you don’t waste time responding to me. I don’t appreciate being accused of baiting people when clearly my history here shows that not to be the case. I see that as a personal attack.

Bay Area Poke

Banned
Banned
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I think Trump supporters are so used to the softball interviews he gets with Fox and even a lot of left-leaning outlets that when they see someone not just let him go off on his five minute rants that aren't based in any sort of reality, it looks hostile to them.
I don’t see the need to interrupt Trump when he’s like 5 words into an answer. If he’s going on and on I get it. But at some point it proves the interviewer has zero interest in any of Trump’s answers. I gave Trump credit because he kept his cool the entire time. If he’s such a nutcase or hot head as some say I’m not sure how he doesn’t storm off.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
My company has worked from home (unless required to be on-site, like machinists), since March 17th. Right now they have us scheduled to return September 1st but I’m hearing it’s likely to be pushed back months.
I am working from home until at least January. But possibly for good.

I'm ok with it because I commute 1hr 15 min both ways, and when I'm in the office, I'm on a web development team of one so I just sit in my cubicle all day. I would much rather be 5 minutes away from my kids' schools so that I can easily go to functions/doctor appointments/etc.