Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I would say we have started seeing wide spread compliance in our area for about the last week and a 1/2 after all the major retailers started requiring them. Outside of that there was/and is no mandate for mask. It took major retailers clamping down on it for people to start doing it here
Honestly, that's the perfect solution. Let individual business owners decide what they want and don't want in their establishments.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Weird. Did I read like a week ago from someone with the State of Oklahoma that they had already processed all the backlog, and there was no issue? Does that mean we've generated that many in such a short time?
I could be wrong but I believe there were 2 different backlogs. The one that was cleared and up-to-date last week was the backlog from a technical issue. However on a day to day basis, there is always a fluctuating backlog of tests in process. Someone more knowledgeable than myself may have better/more useful insight.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
That’s just it. We don’t know. I think it’s possible masks are making things worse for a number of reasons. Mainly user error and the false sense that masks are a cure all. Next time you’re out look at all the filthy masks being worn. I did that this morning based on what I’ve been hearing and it was really eye opening.
Well, we can apply anecdotal logic and personal opinions... or we can look at macrotrends to see what is happening across the board. (This is through May. There may be an updated study out there somewhere.)
1596485591349.jpg

https://news.vcu.edu/article/Early_face_mask_policies_curbed_COVID19s_spread_according_to

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Mar 11, 2006
Well, we can apply anecdotal logic and personal opinions... or we can look at macrotrends to see what is happening across the board. (This is through May. There may be an updated study out there somewhere.)
View attachment 84468
https://news.vcu.edu/article/Early_face_mask_policies_curbed_COVID19s_spread_according_to
I preface this to say I believe mask-wearing lowers transmission, but that graph does not appear to pass the smell test. If this is only through May, what countries drove the death rate for non-masks? There seems to be a big spike around day 65.

The vast majority of countries did NOT have a mask mandate. Is this simply comparing almost every country to China and South Korea? While ignoring the population of countries in Africa that had cases (albeit small).

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Let's hold the phone on the vaccine optimism. Drug research is littered with an untold number of promising phase II drugs that bombed spectacularly in phase III.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Why is there a spike in Europe? Did they eliminate the mask wearing there?
Europe is made up of many countries. You’d have to be more specific.

I preface this to say I believe mask-wearing lowers transmission, but that graph does not appear to pass the smell test. If this is only through May, what countries drove the death rate for non-masks? There seems to be a big spike around day 65.

The vast majority of countries did NOT have a mask mandate. Is this simply comparing almost every country to China and South Korea? While ignoring the population of countries in Africa that had cases (albeit small).
Yeah. I mentioned the dates in my post. I haven’t found updated data yet. Busy work day. It looks like they had 60-70 countries in this study that used masks very early.

Mar 11, 2006
@cableok Any word on which district might change to online only?
Jenks :(

I know it was a tough decision for the Superintendent. She is a wonderful and dedicated leader. And I know she did not come to this decision lightly, but a small minority in the teachers union pushed for distance learning.

What is interesting is that I think if this decision would have come down to a school board vote, I think in-person classes may still have been in the cards for Jenks students. At least two board members would have voted no.

I know you cannot appease everyone in the district, but I disagree strongly with her on this issue... but I still greatly respect her and am glad she is the Superintendent.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Europe is made up of many countries. You’d have to be more specific.

Yeah. I mentioned the dates in my post. I haven’t found updated data yet. Busy work day. It looks like they had 60-70 countries in this study that used masks very early.
You can include the greatest hits. If you throw a dart I’m sure you’d hit one. BBC was primarily talking about Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, and parts of the UK. Scotland I believe.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I still don't understand why all schools don't wait until after Labor Day. That probably wouldn't really make much difference, but the hurry mentality I don't understand at all.
My guess is they don't want to have to continue school past Memorial Day. Wasn't the move years ago to start school before Labor Day required due to a law passed for more school days required?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I still don't understand why all schools don't wait until after Labor Day. That probably wouldn't really make much difference, but the hurry mentality I don't understand at all.
My take on that is you can keep applying the delay and hope for better logic ad infinitum. The reality is we did that all summer and have now realized there are no guarantees things will get better. Overall, we've kind of sucked at containing this.

My personal opinion, not that it's worth two healthy poos, is that high school needs to be virtual in most areas with on campus activities limited to things that are impossible online so that you're limiting risk, but keeping kids engaged. Reopening other classes should be based on community spread with monthly check ins so that potential reopening would only occur at specified checkpoints to prevent the whipsaw of shutting down only to open right back up (hard to prevent the other way). Elementary schools should be open for at least k-3 unless spread is very pervasive and/or they become major sources of spread. That's based on transmission dynamics studies and the relative risk posed to each group and their parents by virtual learning (I still have never seen a good answer for what virtual kindergarten would look like).

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You can include the greatest hits. If you throw a dart I’m sure you’d hit one. BBC was primarily talking about Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, and parts of the UK. Scotland I believe.
Double-checked the report and there are only 3 European countries listed as early mask wearers: Slovakia, Bosnia, and Czechia (Czech Republic). Bosnia has had a recent uptick. The other two have maintained low numbers.