Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
He’s asking for the combo of all 3 HCQ, Azithro, and Zinc. He’s making a point that people can’t find proof of someone dying from COVID when they were treated early with all 3. But he has hedged himself by stating he isn’t convinced HCQ or the combo work against COVID.
Yeah, it's classic shifting the burden of proof - "you can't find proof it doesn't work". But that isn't the way that drug studies work. For every other drug and combination of drugs on the planet the burden of proof for efficacy and safety is on the drug.

There are trials under way that should answer the question of efficacy and safety, though not likely to the HCQ-zealots satisfaction. From clinicaltrials.gov:

A Study of Quintuple Therapy to Treat COVID-19 Infection (HAZDpaC)
Drug: Hydroxychloroquine
Drug: Azithromycin
Dietary Supplement: Vitamin C
Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D
Dietary Supplement: Zinc

Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Either Azithromycin or Doxycycline for Treatment of COVID-19 in Outpatient Setting
Drug: Zinc Sulfate
Drug: Doxycycline

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yeah, it's classic shifting the burden of proof - "you can't find proof it doesn't work". But that isn't the way that drug studies work. For every other drug and combination of drugs on the planet the burden of proof for efficacy and safety is on the drug.

There are trials under way that should answer the question of efficacy and safety, though not likely to the HCQ-zealots satisfaction. From clinicaltrials.gov:

Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc With Either Azithromycin or Doxycycline for Treatment of COVID-19 in Outpatient Setting
I can’t remember where I read it, but I have seen where some have stated HCQ treatment is a catch-22. If you use it too early, a patient may not have needed it and the side effects are worse than the actual effects of the disease. But if you wait until you know someone needs it, then it is too late for the drug to be effective.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I can’t remember where I read it, but I have seen where some have stated HCQ treatment is a catch-22. If you use it too early, a patient may not have needed it and the side effects are worse than the actual effects of the disease. But if you wait until you know someone needs it, then it is too late for the drug to be effective.
That's the weird thing about that drug. Does it work or not-we don't have enough information on it to say for sure. But suddenly the effectiveness of a medication to treat someone who is seriously ill is a political talking point.

I'll defer to the medical professionals here on if it works but it's bizarre that some see it as a miracle cure and others see it as snake oil.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The risks of adverse effects are always too high if the drug has no chance of being beneficial.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
That's the weird thing about that drug. Does it work or not-we don't have enough information on it to say for sure. But suddenly the effectiveness of a medication to treat someone who is seriously ill is a political talking point.

I'll defer to the medical professionals here on if it works but it's bizarre that some see it as a miracle cure and others see it as snake oil.
It is a phenomenon unlike any I have ever seen, where there is such tribalism surrounding a drug. Not even MJ evokes such strong tribalism.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

This is the level of evidence being applied.
1596281323081.png

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
This is the level of evidence being applied.
View attachment 84369
Yeah, there is the solipsism... if I haven't heard of anyone dying on the combo then no one has ever died on the combo because my experience is all that exists.

But the world is bigger than his experience and the recall bias of his friends and sycophants.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The risks of adverse effects are always too high if the drug has no chance of being beneficial.
I completely understand your point. I’m willing to still leave room for it Potentially having some benefit. But In this case, it would require using it so early that the risks greatly outweigh any chance of benefit. Just a layman interpretation here.

Jan 14, 2006
MLB baseball may have to be cancelled. So far 16 games have had to be suspended. St Louis Cards experience outbreak today. MLB commissioner says he is almost ready to shut it down
I still have only heard of one player (Freeman) who actually had symptoms. Shocked they aren't highlighting how rare symptoms are in healthy people.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Camp closed in late June. Great news is that not one single hospitalization was recorded from any of the campers or the staff. The camp was a YMCA summer camp.
Asymptomatic infection was common and potentially contributed to undetected transmission, as has been previously reported," the CDC report stated. "This investigation adds to the body of evidence demonstrating that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection and, contrary to early reports, might play an important role in transmission."