Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
ACC has said they'll provide more teams for ND to play this year, in addition to the 5 or 6 ACC opponents ND plays every year.

The more I think about it, I just don't see how it's logistically possible even think of starting on time, if they play at all this fall. The sheer number of tests & cost to schools is going to be huge.
And you're going to regularly have players out since all emerging evidence is college age kids are not doing well with social distancing. It's not going to get better once they get back to campus. If you have 10 or so players popping positive at a time for either team, you'd almost certainly have to postpone or cancel the game.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
2 days ago Tulane Univ unveiled that by testing their players, coaches, and staff in their football bubble 2 times per week it cost them $100,000 PER month to continue it

I would link the story but it is an SI story...and well just screw them
It'll be interesting to see what Athletic Departments are still standing, & to what degree, next fall.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
And you're going to regularly have players out since all emerging evidence is college age kids are not doing well with social distancing. It's not going to get better once they get back to campus. If you have 10 or so players popping positive at a time for either team, you'd almost certainly have to postpone or cancel the game.
That, & when you think about position groups meeting together, etc..., it's not hard to see this wiping out your whole Oline one week, safeties another week.

Think of the sidelines at BPS. Social distancing??? Yeah, right.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That, & when you think about position groups meeting together, etc..., it's not hard to see this wiping out your whole Oline one week, safeties another week.

Think of the sidelines at BPS. Social distancing??? Yeah, right.
All reasons why I don't see college football happening this fall. If we get our s*** together and drive down our infection rates or at least get highly effective treatments super widespread, maybe it starts around November and continues into February. Otherwise, I'd guess it starts in the winter/spring.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
All reasons why I don't see college football happening this fall. If we get our s*** together and drive down our infection rates or at least get highly effective treatments super widespread, maybe it starts around November and continues into February. Otherwise, I'd guess it starts in the winter/spring.

I'm encouraged by the results they're having with therapeutics now.

As far as spring football, you hear some within college sports say no way can the football season compete with March Madness, but I think it's safe to say that all bets are off right now. Spring football means alot of stars sitting out.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm encouraged by the results they're having with therapeutics now.

As far as spring football, you hear some within college sports say no way can the football season compete with March Madness, but I think it's safe to say that all bets are off right now. Spring football means alot of stars sitting out.
I think the start of basketball gets pushed back, too. I'd personally love March Madness in May and June. I despise baseball, unless OSU or Arkansas (my alma maters) are good, and the NBA is usually the only thing going on then.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Well so much for the Tuesday spike
7/15/20

1075 new cases
4 new deaths (0 occurred within the past 24-hours) 4 - 65+
731 newly recovered
561 currently hospitalized
225 ICU beds available (21%)
231 Covid-19 patients in ICU
5.065% positive test rate (First time our average has been over 5% at least with the numbers I use)
7/16/20

628 new cases
6 new deaths (2 occurred within the past 24-hours) 1 - 50-64; 5 - 65+
729 newly recovered
638 currently hospitalized
166 ICU beds available (16%)
235 Covid-19 patients in ICU
5.093% positive test rate

Mar 11, 2006
OSSAA announced today they are planning for high school sports to start as scheduled. And they will monitor situation and be fluid with any potential need for changes.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
OSSAA announced today they are planning for high school sports to start as scheduled. And they will monitor situation and be fluid with any potential need for changes.
what pisses me off about my school district. If kids want to participate in sports, band, cheer, etc they MUST take the in person school option and are not allowed to take online option. And my school district isn't going to require mask or social distancing (will encourage) and will make them optional for all kids and adults.

My kids are damn near adults and they do extra curricular so we let them decide and they decided to go to in person school and wear masks and take their chances because they want to participate in extra curricular...but i KNOW of several students who are in situations where they are immunocompromised who are going to have to give up their Jr Or Sr year of extra curricular because they will have to take online learning

They start 2 a day practice and all day Saturday practice week after next

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
what pisses me off about my school district. If kids want to participate in sports, band, cheer, etc they MUST take the in person school option and are not allowed to take online option. And my school district isn't going to require mask or social distancing (will encourage) and will make them optional for all kids and adults.

My kids are damn near adults and they do extra curricular so we let them decide and they decided to go to in person school and wear masks and take their chances because they want to participate in extra curricular...but i KNOW of several students who are in situations where they are immunocompromised who are going to have to give up their Jr Or Sr year of extra curricular because they will have to take online learning
So in-person classes pose a threat, but the extracurricular stuff doesn't?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So in-person classes pose a threat, but the extracurricular stuff doesn't?
all of it poses a threat. Why I don't necessarily understand the OSSAA decision to move forward as normal because first 5 or 10 cases and they are going to shut it all down anyway

And the OSSAA will not require any testing...you know some of these kids are going to show up at practice with it already

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
As schools open across the US....stories like this will dominate the headlines for the next few weeks

Experts say the positive cases for these high school students can be traced back to social gatherings prior to coming to Summer athletic work out camps.

The school set up a testing site for all their athletes who were coming to Summer work out camps prior to school starting

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
all of it poses a threat. Why I don't necessarily understand the OSSAA decision to move forward as normal because first 5 or 10 cases and they are going to shut it all down anyway

And the OSSAA will not require any testing...you know some of these kids are going to show up at practice with it already
Don't get me started on the clownshow that's the OSSAA. Talk about the PETER principle embedded in an organization.