Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Gee I wonder where the mask message was muddled they are now trying to fix

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1282326659727798273?s=19
ATP III guidelines (2001)
1594567762991.png

2013 ACC/AHA guidelines
1594567995307.png

Other guidelines
1594568080376.png

2018 Guidelines
1594568172746.png

2019 Guidelines for primary prevention
1594568132614.png

Attachments

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Since one can safely assume the riots and protests were predominately democrats, here's a gift from the lefty losers with a plus from the open border idiots.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-at...to-protests-and-proximity-to-us-mexico-border
Not sure where they got that conclusion. Here's total cases (what they're saying is higher) and cases per 1,000. The border area is not where its peaking in Texas. If anything, its like what we've seen most other places. Your big metros and meat packing areas are where we see the most spread.

Screenshot_20200712-103824_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200712-103832_Chrome.jpg

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Medical science is messy and inexact. It changes rapidly. And there are times when we do absolutely everything right and it doesn't work because there is some known thing that we don't understand yet.
And sometimes has competing demands. Where is the distribution of masks most effective? If it's limited, then maybe it's more effective with medical workers than the general public. How do you communicate that without creating a run on them like we saw with toilet paper and hand sanitizer? They could have done better, but this is a really small needle to thread.

Jan 14, 2006
With most people having to test negative to go back to work as well...how do we know the positive numbers are NOT inflated by that factor? I do know one friend who's son tested positive three times, and according to her each was treated as a new case positive in Tulsa county. Who knows, just one persons experience? Still gotta watch the hospitalizations and the death rates. Those being up in some areas is important and means we need to step up mask wearing and social distancing in those areas.
My wife is a nurse and she has also seen this with people trying to go back to work. Asymptomatic positives that get 2 or 3 positive tests before finally getting a negative so they can work.

The positively rate is based on tests, not individuals, so obviously this inflates the numbers but I'm sure it's balanced out a little by all the cases that don't get tested.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Not sure where they got that conclusion. Here's total cases (what they're saying is higher) and cases per 1,000. The border area is not where its peaking in Texas. If anything, its like what we've seen most other places. Your big metros and meat packing areas are where we see the most spread.

View attachment 83352 View attachment 83353
Looking at your info, I'm not sure either and in the final analysis I think it's not important where the uptick originates. Masks and social distancing however is. Lost a long time friend this week (60yrs) to Covid and I couldn't care less where he got it excepting from someone ignoring the common sense guidelines. That thought makes me livid.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Oh, please, just wear a mask every time you venture outside your home and live alone. So, yet, if you end up in the ICU near death after doing that, you can say wearing a mask all the time didn't protect you from the virus. If that turns out to be true, then welcome to the Second Great Depression of America. As for me, I'm sure glad that I'm closer to age 100 than 21. But that is living life in the Twilight Zone. When it will finally end, I don't know.
In other words, you don't have an answer for me? It was a valid question.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Trump is exactly right...there is a direct relationship between numbers of tests performed in any group to a larger number of tests that are positive for the virus.
Half truth. It isn't "the" reason it is a reason.

First of all, China has tested more than us and has far fewer cases so it isn't all just a testing issue.
Second, on a tests/pop figure there are many countries that have tested more than us.
Third, if the issue was only testing then overtesting would make your number of cases increase but your positivity rate decrease. Well, our positivity rate is increasing. Which means we have more cases, not just more testing.
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.27.19 PM.png

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

First of all, China has tested more than us and has far fewer cases so it isn't all just a testing issue.
Second, on a tests/pop figure there are many countries that have tested more than us.
Third, if the issue was only testing then overtesting would make your number of cases increase but your positivity rate decrease. Well, our positivity rate is increasing. Which means we have more cases, not just more testing.
View attachment 83366
I don't know what's true...is it true that China has tested more than us (that's not what I've seen reported in test per 100K)? Is it true what some are saying, that some people could test positive three times and all those be counted as positives not just one positive? Honestly I don't know what's true and what's false. I certainly have a bias of wanting things to open and for travel to be unrestricted and football season to start, so my bias leads me down rabbit holes and I acknowledge that...However, STILL, I have no idea what's true and what's false and don't trust ANY media or even the healthcare industry to report it accurately or completely. What I do believe is that we do have an increase in cases and percentage positives and that we should curb it by wearing mask and social distancing while going about our lives...but what I also know (for a fact) is that the graph you just posted above was nearly impossible to download or find on June 14th because I was using it directly from the John Hopkins site to prove percentage positives were going down and now it's super easy to download and find...why is that? I don't know, but it looks like an overriding narrative to make things seem worse than they are in order to gain political advantage on one side, and on the other (that doesn't control the overriding majority of the media) so to lessor effect, to downplay any negative results.

Thoughts?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

View attachment 83366
While I agree with your point, I do not believe the numbers china is putting out for a second. The CCP has a very strong history of lying, especially about things that make them look bad. Look at economic impacts which are harder to lie about.

Last edited:

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I don't know what's true...is it true that China has tested more than us (that's not what I've seen reported in test per 100K)? Is it true what some are saying, that some people could test positive three times and all those be counted as positives not just one positive? Honestly I don't know what's true and what's false. I certainly have a bias of wanting things to open and for travel to be unrestricted and football season to start, so my bias leads me down rabbit holes and I acknowledge that...However, STILL, I have no idea what's true and what's false and don't trust ANY media or even the healthcare industry to report it accurately or completely. What I do believe is that we do have an increase in cases and percentage positives and that we should curb it by wearing mask and social distancing while going about our lives...but what I also know (for a fact) is that the graph you just posted above was nearly impossible to download or find on June 14th because I was using it directly from the John Hopkins site to prove percentage positives were going down and now it's super easy to download and find...why is that? I don't know, but it looks like an overriding narrative to make things seem worse than they are in order to gain political advantage on one side, and on the other (that doesn't control the overriding majority of the media) so to lessor effect, to downplay any negative results.

Thoughts?
You really want my thought?

My thought is if you never trust anything that goes against your already conceived notions but readily accept anything that goes with it and every time something happens on the side that agrees with you that seems possibly shady you readily accept the excuse but when something that seems shady on the other side happens you contend it must be a narrative then there really is no way to change a mind on anything.

I've essentially quit this thread because it is the same people with the same opinions no matter what is actually happening. This virus has surprised us in so many ways. With surprises, there should be changes in opinion. Mine has changed many times. And yet, for the most part, there has been little of that here. At least you are somewhat recognizing your intense biases. If you trust no media why are you discussing it at all? It is like staying in a relationship with someone that you absolutely think is cheating on you every time they leave the house. Why would you stay?

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
While I agree with your point, I do not believe the numbers china is putting out for a second. The CCP has a very strong history of lying, especially about things that make them look bad. Lookt at economic impacts which are harder to lie about.
I don't know if their numbers are perfectly accurate. I do not think if they were actually having a massive outbreak like we are that they could contain the info.