Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
500 in South Dakota meat processing plant test positive and the rate of positive cases is doubling every 4 days in the State

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...noem-who-opposed-stay-home-order-now-n1184851

100+ of 900 employees in North Dakota GE wind power plant have tested positive. Only about 450 have been tested so far

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases-spike-225744301.html
The Dakotas have become a poster child for some on the left to bash their "reckless policies". 8 people have died from the Covid in South Dakota to date. 12 in North Dakota. Between the 2 states that's about 10 deaths per million, as opposed to New York's 900 deaths per million.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Clear to start phase 1. Which is barely less than we're doing now.

Are you not comfortable with the gateway and phase guidelines outlined yesterday?
Truthfully I’m not comfortable. I was sent to the damned hospital today for blood work! This could have been put off for months imo. This is the most I’ve exposed myself since this started. I put on my PPE go in, masked woman demands I remove and throw away my new gloves, then raised my mask to take my temperature with an oral thermometer. Get sticker with my 97,9 on it and get sent to the lab. Get poked and bled, pee in cup, and got the hell out of there. Had a zoom appointment yesterday. Why in the hell was that necessary? Cloroxed car, felt sick the whole way home. Guess I’ll avoid my wife for a few days. So, when will I feel comfortable, when everything is back to normal, and we have an effective vaccine.
How many other people were around you that weren't medical staff? Do you think the medical staff incompetent in cleaning the areas you were in? Did you touch your face after touching any surfaces, but before you washed? I honestly would trust going into a medical place more right now compared to Walmart.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Rack actually agreed with you about Trump and you are arguing with him. You are incapable of having a normal conversation aren't you. All because he said Trump will win this time. Tell us why you somehow think Biden will win. Maybe you think he'll pick some great vice president and that will help. Try discussing rather than rudeness.

Well the DNC has picked Joe Biden, pretending they might now pick someone else or drop their support for a third party candidate is totally ridiculous. I’m no mind reader but I’m predicting the country is tired of being lied to on a constant basis, I think people would enjoy NOT seeing the President on tv, in their faces 24/7. I predict he’ll be damned lucky if we don’t slip into a depression, and the market improves so he can once again claim it’s the only measure of success. He wears me out. His campaigning during Covid 19 briefings is not only tacky and self serving, it’s probably illegal. But with a gutless bunch of Senators led by laws only matter when Democrats are in office Mitch McConnell and sycophants, there is no chance they’ll hold him accountable for anything ever. I am hoping, the American people will. If you are not a licensed psychologist I didn’t request a session, and even if you’re just a busybody defending a friend, frankly, I don’t care what you think. You are just another, in a long line of haters in this forum, but you should get more atta boys after speaking out. Well done.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
How many other people were around you that weren't medical staff? Do you think the medical staff incompetent in cleaning the areas you were in? Did you touch your face after touching any surfaces, but before you washed? I honestly would trust going into a medical place more right now compared to Walmart.

Two or three unmasked persons loitering around an enormous tent erected not twenty feet from the ER entrance with a huge sign that indicated it was for Covid-19 patients. We do pickup at Walmart.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Every village has its idiot. Sometimes two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And every village has tons of gutless wonders that will never engage with anyone that just might have a different opinion than their own blind bullheaded snobbery. Desiring to be embraced they sway like reeds in the wind, right to left, left to right, anything to fit in with the crowd, and wear their rigidity like a crown.
I've agreed with Binman before, even Townie a few times. I even think I've agreed with orangefan before on something not sports related. You literally don't try to engage in discussion. Someone posts a comment to you that different in opinion and you lay into them like they insulted you. You have been this way long enough that people just don't try to engage with you anymore. If you want discussion, you really need to take a look at yourself and stop being so confrontational.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/ProfessorShyguy/status/1251568241744453632?s=19
That's similar to a business here in town. They were able to get their hands on a bunch of masks and it seemed they were giving them to the hospital. Made a deal about it on social media, ended up in the newspaper. But if you paid attention, they actually sold them to the hospital. Sure it was 'at cost', but not even a donation.

Fairly certain that isn't newspaper worthy really.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While I know some are sick, others in this thread seem to be mentally causing themselves issues with their fear and stress. IMHO, it's very important during this time to take moments for yourselves and to really try to stay away from stressful feelings. It shouldn't cripple us to be in the presence of others and to go out of our homes...if it doesn't please seek council in friends or professionals. Stress and fear are even greater killers, long term than this virus. We will defeat this virus AND get back to some normalcy in short order, one can determine to safely be a part of that or hold up in his/her basement...it's up to us to determine, and of course some will still need to remain isolated until all is completely well and we have a vaccine. God Speed to all and a Happy Sunday!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Rack actually agreed with you about Trump and you are arguing with him. You are incapable of having a normal conversation aren't you. All because he said Trump will win this time. Tell us why you somehow think Biden will win. Maybe you think he'll pick some great vice president and that will help. Try discussing rather than rudeness.

Well the DNC has picked Joe Biden, pretending they might now pick someone else or drop their support for a third party candidate is totally ridiculous. I’m no mind reader but I’m predicting the country is tired of being lied to on a constant basis, I think people would enjoy NOT seeing the President on tv, in their faces 24/7. I predict he’ll be damned lucky if we don’t slip into a depression, and the market improves so he can once again claim it’s the only measure of success. He wears me out. His campaigning during Covid 19 briefings is not only tacky and self serving, it’s probably illegal. But with a gutless bunch of Senators led by laws only matter when Democrats are in office Mitch McConnell and sycophants, there is no chance they’ll hold him accountable for anything ever. I am hoping, the American people will. If you are not a licensed psychologist I didn’t request a session, and even if you’re just a busybody defending a friend, frankly, I don’t care what you think. You are just another, in a long line of haters in this forum, but you should get more atta boys after speaking out. Well done.
Not atypical of most liberals. Can’t separate your “feelings” from actual policy and actions undertaken by the POTUS.

I personally can’t stand the guy in the WH. I literally cringe +90% of the time I see him speak and answer questions. His self-awareness may just be the worst of any public figure in the history of public figures.

But what he has accomplished and the direction his accomplishments have pointed the USA are stunningly successful for the majority of US citizens. Ultimately, that’s the measure that matters. But he’s still a jackass.

Did I say I can’t stand him?

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
The converse is, if we don't do our job this could drag on for a very long time.
This started as slow the spread and flatten the curve, insinuating there's still a spread and curve. We can't stay locked up until it's gone, the point was just to not overwhelm the medical system. We've done our jobs.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
And if Sweden took out Stockholm their number would look at lot better.

And that is the point. There should NOT be a one size fits all solution. It makes no sense to treat all of Tulsa like the hot spot in a 2 square mile are of NYC. Or like the hotspot in Detroit.

Treating everything the same is wrong. It also make no statistical sense to view demographic data of race of citizens who died in a small hotspot and then try to compare to state averages. I am reading tons of article about how minorities are worse off with the virus. Well, in Michigan 73% of citizens in Detroit are minorities. Detroit is the hotspot in the state. But when the MSM compares deaths of individuals and trying to fit it into their narrative that the virus is hitting minorities hardest ... they conveniently compare race percentages of entire state versus race of deaths.

Should we as Oklahoman complain that the coronavirus is killing more caucasians in the state than the state average? Because that actually is true. White Oklahomans are 72% of the state average, but make up 82% of deaths. Of course, no one should mention race as a factor, because it is not anyway a deciding factor/variable.

Just like the higher percentage of minority deaths in Detroit, the reason is density of location and economic factors. Can one make an argument that health care is not as strong for the poor, of course. But race is not the variable. It is density and income.
Stockholm and NYC are much more alike in their approaches. On March 15th De Blasio was still telling people to go to bars. Schools didn't close until the next week.

"We need to be more like Sweden!"

"We can't treat everything the same!"

Oy, will y'all make up your freaking minds? I mean, do we need to be like Sweden or not? Does their one size not fit all? It's like "Trump is a fascist! Trump won't be a fascist!" It gets tiring.

I posted this in another thread:
Your mayor is the head of your local government. Your mayor made decisions based on the WHO declaring a worldwide pandemic. Your mayor could have decided differently, the mayor of Oklahoma City did, as did the mayor of Tulsa. The WHO did not decide anything for Stillwater. Your mayor did, based on the best recommendations from epidemiologists and infectious disease experts at the time.
Gov. Stitt, the major of Stillwater, Gov. Dewine, Gov. Cuomo, Mayor De Blasio have all been perfectly free to act and react to this pandemic however they want. That's federalism. New York State and New York City were both tragically slow to react. We have another thread where an idjit wants to sue the major of Stillwater because he wasn't. If you look at the early data, Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) was going the way of New York City, but Gov. Dewine and Dr. Amy Acton took decisive action and kept that from happening.

As I said in that thread, y'all are worried about the economic impact. I get it, I am too. The economic impact would have been far, far worse if what happened in the first two weeks in Italy, Spain, and France had happened worldwide.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I've agreed with Binman before, even Townie a few times. I even think I've agreed with orangefan before on something not sports related. You literally don't try to engage in discussion. Someone posts a comment to you that different in opinion and you lay into them like they insulted you. You have been this way long enough that people just don't try to engage with you anymore. If you want discussion, you really need to take a look at yourself and stop being so confrontational.

Agree, and that will happen when people like you spend as much time and effort going after your own kind when they go negative with comments completely uncalled for. I’ve never seen you questioning the tactics of Bleed, NotO, and a whole host of others in here. When the barrage subsides I enjoy just talking to people, but it’s not long before the usual suspects jump in and ruin decent conversations.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Not atypical of most liberals. Can’t separate your “feelings” from actual policy and actions undertaken by the POTUS.

I personally can’t stand the guy in the WH. I literally cringe +90% of the time I see him speak and answer questions. His self-awareness may just be the worst of any public figure in the history of public figures.

But what he has accomplished and the direction his accomplishments have pointed the USA are stunningly successful for the majority of US citizens. Ultimately, that’s the measure that matters. But he’s still a jackass.

Thrilled to know we might actually share some common ground.

Mar 11, 2006
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Interesting stats from New York Health Dept. Thru April 14th.

percent of deaths by age group
* Only 3 deaths of the 6,839 are from youths 0 to 17 years old. All three had pre-existing conditions.
* 312 deaths of the 6,839 are 0 to 44 years old. 4.5% of deaths. 80% of deaths in this age group had pre-existing conditions.
* 45 to 64 years of age is 23% of deaths. But 85% had pre-existing conditions.

That means only 4% of 6,839 deaths, for the 64 and under age group, are for people with no known underlying conditions.

death rate by age group
* 0 to 39 years of age is .2%
* 40 to 49 is .4%
* 50 to 59 is 1.3%
* 60 to 69 is 3.6%
* 70 to 79 is 8%
* 80 and more is 14.8%

But remember, the death rate above includes those with pre-existing conditions (diabetes, lung disease, cancer, heart disease, immunodeficiency, kidney disease, asthma, liver disease).
It is much much lower without pre-existing conditions for those under 70.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I'm no hater. I've tried to engage you in conversation and you won't do it. You can't even read my question correctly. I'll break it down a little better. He agreed with you about how Trump is, but said Trump will still win. By your reaction to him, it appears you disagree. Do you think Biden has a chance of beating Trump? Do you think it depends on his vp pick? Can you then explain that opinion without calling people names?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Two or three unmasked persons loitering around an enormous tent erected not twenty feet from the ER entrance with a huge sign that indicated it was for Covid-19 patients. We do pickup at Walmart.
Did you go inside the tent, or the hospital. I may not be understanding this correctly. If you went inside the hospital and had no contact with anyone but medical staff I don't see any reason for concern to be honest.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Thrilled to know we might actually share some common ground.
Perhaps, but the problem is, every potential option the DNC has offered is gonna take us in the opposite direction in which we were headed as of Mar 12. Whether that’s a “good” guy or not, I have zero interest in that option. I’m perfectly capable and willing to hold my nose and vote to continue on the path we were/are on.