COTA - Austin

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
We are going to COTA and WRX/ARX race this weekend. I booked the Hampton in Round Rock. Since I am taking my youngest son (11) I didn't want to be down south. Was this a mistake as far as drive time?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
We are going to COTA and WRX/ARX race this weekend. I booked the Hampton in Round Rock. Since I am taking my youngest son (11) I didn't want to be down south. Was this a mistake as far as drive time?
Meh... In my experience COTA was pretty easy to get in and out of. I was at a 3 day Grand Am event down there though... years ago in 2013... and it wasn't very crowded.

Awesome, incredible track though! Make sure and take a camera.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Meh... In my experience COTA was pretty easy to get in and out of. I was at a 3 day Grand Am event down there though... years ago in 2013... and it wasn't very crowded.

Awesome, incredible track though! Make sure and take a camera.

We will for sure. My son is excited to see his boy Tanner for sure. I will try to take some picks in his pit if I remember.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Dude, I'm so jealous... Take lots of pictures and post em up!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
We are having a blast. The buggies look like fun. The pics are to big to post. I will post them later. The vip is awesome though
I ended up missing the broadcasts so I'll watch the uploads later but I really wish Subaru would come out with something that's got a shorter wheelbase so it can compete with the VW/Fords. I think they've finally found a good set of drivers but the length of the car is really killing them...

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I ended up missing the broadcasts so I'll watch the uploads later but I really wish Subaru would come out with something that's got a shorter wheelbase so it can compete with the VW/Fords. I think they've finally found a good set of drivers but the length of the car is really killing them...

20180930_125159.jpg

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK

View attachment 64956
I hate that man and Speed solely because my subie drivers can't get in front of them... Lol. I just finished watching the streams. Those VWs are "lightning bugs"... I don't know how anyone is gonna catch up with that team.

Btw, that Mini driver needs to go to Dirtfish and learn how to drive his dang car... That dude was all over the place running into people. Looked like a kid playing Forza online...

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I hate that man and Speed solely because my subie drivers can't get in front of them... Lol. I just finished watching the streams. Those VWs are "lightning bugs"... I don't know how anyone is gonna catch up with that team.

Btw, that Mini driver needs to go to Dirtfish and learn how to drive his dang car... That dude was all over the place running into people. Looked like a kid playing Forza online...

Yeah the only time I saw anything except the bugs get beat to the first turn was when Arlin got stuffed into the corner in Q4 qualifying.

Some observations as this was my first WRX/ARX race. It will be very hard to sustain the series if the crowds are consistent with what I saw at COTA. There were a lot of Hoonigan fans and I am assuming VW (or dealers) gave out a lot of tickets. Shockingly there wasn't a lot merch, except for COTA. There also was not a lot of swag, given out. Dirtfish was giving hats, and someone was giving sunglass. I thought it would be like the Nascar races I have been to with Merch everywhere. The VIP sections were full, mostly because of the sponsors. VW had a quarter of the section on one set of stands (the best seats too), we did not get to sit there. Looking across to the Grandstands they were about 1/2 to less than half capacity. Obviously with TV there is no TV revenue. The cost is very high to maintain the cars. I base this off the nitro rally cross that pastrana put on last weekend that was on Velocity. In a Ken block interview where he pulled his car because he did not have the extra parts like the Andretti team, to push his car there. Both block and arlin got stuffed into the wall. Of course block put himself on the inside going into the first turn. There were only 9 drivers. 4 qualifying races for 9 drivers and 6 goto the main. I understand they want to put on a show, but that was a little much. Block in the main pulled his car to the starting area and never went to the line.

Oh yeah Arpin is a super nice guy. We stood and chatted with him for a bit between heats. He answered just about every question that my son had for him on getting into Racing. He confirmed what I have been telling him. Juniors Sprints and Karts. He wants to race very bad and I have a friend that his daughter is now TRD sponsored. They did it the same way.

We were sitting by Fraser McConell's parents and they were having a blast and super excited when he got 2nd in ARX 2.

I am exhausted today, as we drove down Saturday during the game. Then we left COTA after the ARX finals race and got back home around 9. So the father son trip went well.
I will upload the pics below. I have to compress them so hopefully that works out. 20180930_121553.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: