Colt suspending production of AR-15 for civilian consumers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Colt CEO said they are not permanently ending the production for civilians but believe there is currently an adequate supply of sporting rifles available now. The company announced they would concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts for the foreseeable future with their rifle manufacturing

The CEO said they remained committed to the Second Amendment and were adapting to consumer demand

Aug 16, 2012
Colt CEO said they are not permanently ending the production for civilians but believe there is currently an adequate supply of sporting rifles available now. The company announced they would concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts for the foreseeable future with their rifle manufacturing

The CEO said they remained committed to the Second Amendment and were adapting to consumer demand
A glass half full guy could say the Democrat candidate rhetoric is not startling anyone

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
They really aren’t that good. They are getting dominated in that market
Some things I've gleaned from reading gun forums:

Colt just got a huge order for export. They've apparently had to move people from civilian assembly lines to government ones.

Colt hasn't updated their processes in decades, and is being undersold by equally good manufacturers. The market price is literally their manufacturing cost, not including cuts for distribution and taxes.

Colt had been poorly run ever since Sam was alive. They've been in and out of bankruptcy regularly, and are the poster child for bad management.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK

Colt just got a huge order for export. They've apparently had to move people from civilian assembly lines to government ones.

Colt hasn't updated their processes in decades, and is being undersold by equally good manufacturers. The market price is literally their manufacturing cost, not including cuts for distribution and taxes.

Colt had been poorly run ever since Sam was alive. They've been in and out of bankruptcy regularly, and are the poster child for bad management.
Shush! Let them think they've won so they'll shut up for a little while!

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
They really aren’t that good. They are getting dominated in that market
This....

They are picking a time when they think it sounds good to say this. They are premium priced but a slightly above average gun. For Colt money there are a lot better options or one can build their own. Colt is also missing the mark on the suburban guy that thinks because he went to a 6 hour three gun class he is almost a Navy Seal. This guy has everything tactical.....tactical light, tactical grip, tactical sunglasses, multiple tactical optics, tactical underwear even tactical bacon.....he needs all this to compensate for the delay taking off his C-PAP machine creates when combating night prowlers trying to steal the Amazon package he forgot to get of his porch. He buys an AR then puts 2-3x the cost of the gun all over it with tactical stickers. Colt is missing that entire market.

What they risk here is announcing a business decision in a way that impacts their handgun sales.

Aug 16, 2012

When Colt got his first government order, he missed the deadline....significantly. Did not even have a single gun ready when the original deadline came and went. Wiggled his way out of the jam by bringing along a handful of parts where he illustrated the concept of interchangeable parts. Obviously, he got a pass. Was also known to be a proponent of getting potential clients drunk so they would buy more.

Aug 16, 2012
Meh, I've got my eye on a Sig but can't justify the expense just yet. Now if they announced they were going to stop making semiautomatic rifles, guess I'd have to run out and buy one.
P220. As soon as I absorb the cost of this move, it will be my first SIGnificant purchase. Even before new sticks.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
When Colt got his first government order, he missed the deadline....significantly. Did not even have a single gun ready when the original deadline came and went. Wiggled his way out of the jam by bringing along a handful of parts where he illustrated the concept of interchangeable parts. Obviously, he got a pass. Was also known to be a proponent of getting potential clients drunk so they would buy more.
I think in this statement, you probably could replace "Colt" with almost every government supplier of anything.