Colorado School Shooting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Can we now dive into the semantics of "illegal alien" as opposed to alien here illegally?

Just spitballing, don't mind me.
You can do anything you want cause you are my best bud at the moment. Somehow you have managed to score being called pathetic, assinine, etc by the most virulent poster on the board when that DISCUSSION is usually directed at me. You are like a really good flak jacket.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You can do anything you want cause you are my best bud at the moment. Somehow you have managed to score being called pathetic, assinine, etc by the most virulent poster on the board when that DISCUSSION is usually directed at me. You are like a really good flak jacket.
I visit 2 websites, this and survivalist boards. Somehow I'm the token "lefty" on both. My sister doesn't believe me.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
from a cnn (of all places) article in 2013 about the political use of language (also talks about pro life vs pro choice and other political used/charged terminology) this was about when Obama started using the term more exclusively. Just thought I would drop it here...and move on....if you dig there is lots more...

"We've seen this transformation from use of the term 'gun control' to 'gun violence,' " says Wilson, "because no one can be in favor of gun violence. That's universal."
Words have power, & get used purposefully all the time in the media.

When I was in OSU's JB school in the early 90's, I remember one of my profs telling us about a study done by the Poynter Institute, a left-leaning media think tank.

Nearly 70% of the students they surveyed said their number one role as a journalist was "to make the world a better place." Sounds benign enough, right? He used the example to point out to us that no, it's not your job as a journalist at all.

What's been born out of that mentality is the activism journalism we see today, imo

Aug 16, 2012
nothing to unravel.... start with trying to unravel the Constitution, that might be your only shot

It is for all intents and purposes NOT possible to get a machine gun - which you wanted to ban "as a start" - regardless of the point that automatic weapons are not used in the attacks that you're talking about.

Any gun for sale must have been manufactured before 1986 and must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records database. There are less than 500,000 full-auto weapons in circulation as opposed to the millions of semi-auto rifles.

These are essentially "collector items", which is also the one exemption that you wanted to allow (guns only for collectors).

your average joe blow cannot got out and purchase an automatic weapon, even on the black market, because they are illegal to own and purchase except under extreme circumstances - just like you are advocating for.

just like bazooka's and grenade launchers

how about you choose another constitutional right of ours that you don't like and switch to harping on that for a while....
Had a great uncle die who was a collector. After his death, his wife gave my dad a handful of guns including a fully-operational Tommy Gun with a couple long box magazines. Seems the uncle won it in a poker game in the early 60s and never had it registered since the whole poker game was an underground venture among Tulsa-area wheelers and dealers. My dad held on to it for about three days and being the law-abiding citizen he was, called his friend, the local chief of police to see if there was any way to get it registered for legal ownership. Within two hours, the ATF from Tulsa was knocking at his door with no less than four blacked-out suburbans in the drive and dozens of agents milling about. He was in possession of the gun for about another 18 seconds.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Had a great uncle die who was a collector. After his death, his wife gave my dad a handful of guns including a fully-operational Tommy Gun with a couple long box magazines. Seems the uncle won it in a poker game in the early 60s and never had it registered since the whole poker game was an underground venture among Tulsa-area wheelers and dealers. My dad held on to it for about three days and being the law-abiding citizen he was, called his friend, the local chief of police to see if there was any way to get it registered for legal ownership. Within two hours, the ATF from Tulsa was knocking at his door with no less than four blacked-out suburbans in the drive and dozens of agents milling about. He was in possession of the gun for about another 18 seconds.
Man, if he had the connections and a little less integrity he could have made some money on that deal. @CaliforniaCowboy would have traded him 110 gallons of water and a free year's pass in the bunker in case of SHTF scenario.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
NOPE Mr Semantic... you're just flat out wrong again.... HE was not called any of those things, the POSITIONS that he was taking and the STATEMENTS that he was making were called pathetic and asinine.

YOU are the one that calls people names (virulent poster). You are the problem, when you cannot discern the meanings of word and statements.

You seem to need some thicker skin if you think folks are picking on YOU... they are not. Your positions are under debate - not you.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You seem to need some thicker skin if you think folks are picking on YOU... they are not. Your positions are under debate - not you.
Oh, ok. In that case, my apologies. You are not a virulent poster. But, the majority of the positions that you promote are not only virulent, they are often disgusting, unethical, racist, pathetically thought out, show complete lack of any ability to think beyond self, condescending, and appear to be written by a genuine narcissist. And, finally, the irony of what you post gets me every time. Like, your heated and, as always, hateful response to my joke to someone else in which you claim, hilariously, that I am the one with thin skin.

But, that, of course, is just your posts. I'm not saying anything at all about you. Since I am only talking about posts, there is no need for you to worry about how thin your skin is as it has nothing to do with you personally.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Oh, ok. In that case, my apologies. You are not a virulent poster. But, the majority of the positions that you promote are not only virulent, they are often disgusting, unethical, racist, pathetically thought out, show complete lack of any ability to think beyond self, condescending, and appear to be written by a genuine narcissist. And, finally, the irony of what you post gets me every time. Like, your heated and, as always, hateful response to my joke to someone else in which you claim, hilariously, that I am the one with thin skin.

But, that, of course, is just your posts. I'm not saying anything at all about you. Since I am only talking about posts, there is no need for you to worry about how thin your skin is as it has nothing to do with you personally.
welll.... duh... of course it has nothing to do with me, no matter how hard you try to make it so.

no need for me to worry about anything, except leftists on election day

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
There's a handful of posters here that would jump through all the hoops to own that one. Heck, I would think hard about it myself. Since firing them in Vegas I freaking love it. Ak 47 sounds just like the movies. The uzi blows $250 in just 2 minutes. Pretty fun. I wish someone would open a grenade shop. Really really want to throw one. Idea here. US military should open up its training to the local population for a price to come in and live their fantasies. Would love to take off in a fighter off a carrier. What about $59,000 a ticket?

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
There's a handful of posters here that would jump through all the hoops to own that one. Heck, I would think hard about it myself. Since firing them in Vegas I freaking love it. Ak 47 sounds just like the movies. The uzi blows $250 in just 2 minutes. Pretty fun. I wish someone would open a grenade shop. Really really want to throw one. Idea here. US military should open up its training to the local population for a price to come in and live their fantasies. Would love to take off in a fighter off a carrier. What about $59,000 a ticket?
Way back when I was an infantry soldier, one of my favorites was an M16 with an M203 on it. Throwing a grenade is kinda cool. Launching a grenade is way more cool.