Colorado joins National Popular Vote Compact

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...l-popular-vote-interstate-compact/3205429002/

I have been following this for a while and I strongly disagree with it. Colorado is the first "swing" state to sign on.
It really bothers me that this is an attempt to side step the Electoral College without meeting the high requirements of Amending the Constitution. It also effectively erodes one of the founding compromises (The Connecticut Compromise) that established our bicameral legislature. (EC votes = 2 senators + # of states reps). If smaller states only agreed to ratify the Constitution based on the compromise, when the rug is pulled out from underneath them (slowly) - what is stopping them from declaring the ratification was void (basis of the bargain)?

I am afraid when supporters get enough states to sign on and the compact becomes effective, we are going to have a serious problem with the first president elected based on it. Election will look illegitimate regardless of who wins.

Aug 16, 2012
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...l-popular-vote-interstate-compact/3205429002/

I have been following this for a while and I strongly disagree with it. Colorado is the first "swing" state to sign on.
It really bothers me that this is an attempt to side step the Electoral College without meeting the high requirements of Amending the Constitution. It also effectively erodes one of the founding compromises (The Connecticut Compromise) that established our bicameral legislature. (EC votes = 2 senators + # of states reps). If smaller states only agreed to ratify the Constitution based on the compromise, when the rug is pulled out from underneath them (slowly) - what is stopping them from declaring the ratification was void (basis of the bargain)?

I am afraid when supporters get enough states to sign on and the compact becomes effective, we are going to have a serious problem with the first president elected based on it. Election will look illegitimate regardless of who wins.
I would not consider Colorado a swing state. They are firmly indoctrinated into the Democratic ideals by the Gang of Four and the influx of Californian who flooded the state over the past two decades. It is now East California. Seeing where the state was headed played a big part in my decision to ditch the state 10 years ago. Some people think it ridiculous to leave a state based on political beliefs, but these same ideals have the ability to permeate into every facet of your life whether you realize it or not. I wanted no part of it. Gorgeous place to visit. After living there for 20 years, I had enough.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I would not consider Colorado a swing state. They are firmly indoctrinated into the Democratic ideals by the Gang of Four and the influx of Californian who flooded the state over the past two decades. It is now East California. Seeing where the state was headed played a big part in my decision to ditch the state 10 years ago. Some people think it ridiculous to leave a state based on political beliefs, but these same ideals have the ability to permeate into every facet of your life whether you realize it or not. I wanted no part of it. Gorgeous place to visit. After living there for 20 years, I had enough.
Gov. Polis & his cronies from Boulder are all about the further "Californication" of the state, & they make no bones about it.

Colorado voters roundly rejected a measure in November that called for massive oil & gas reform. Now, Polis & Co. are shoving a bill through the legislature that literally ignores the will of the state's voters.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Imma hafta laugh my fanny off when Trump wins the national vote and takes all of Colorado's electors, even though the Dem won the popular vote in Colorado. These nitwits haven't stopped to think that it might not turn out the way they want it to.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
another issue with the
Imma hafta laugh my fanny off when Trump wins the national vote and takes all of Colorado's electors, even though the Dem won the popular vote in Colorado. These nitwits haven't stopped to think that it might not turn out the way they want it to.
It probably won't take effect until after 2020. They don't yet have enough states on board.

But can you imagine, New York and California having to pledge electors to Trump in 2020? They would be trying so hard to do what your dad couldn't do: pull out. ;)

racist.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You can be certain, if this happened there would be an immediate legal challenge to give those EVs to the Democrat. And it would win. They really have nothing to lose with the attempt.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

LOL, Just wait until the Democrats start winning the Electoral College and lose the popular vote, you'll, no doubt, very much change your tune, considering how much all out hatred and resentment Republicans have against Democrats.

By the way, as bad as Bush II turned out and who knows about Trump until Nov. 2020 gets here and possibly beyond, the Electoral College conflicting with popular vote hasn't gone all that well.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

LOL, Just wait until the Democrats start winning the Electoral College and lose the popular vote, you'll, no doubt, very much change your tune, considering how much all out hatred and resentment Republicans have against Democrats.

By the way, as bad as Bush II turned out and who knows about Trump until Nov. 2020 gets here and possibly beyond, the Electoral College conflicting with popular vote hasn't gone all that well.
No you don't understand conservatives at all. I sure do love your tenacity though to continue showing your ignorance time after time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
No you don't understand conservatives at all. I sure do love your tenacity though to continue showing your ignorance time after time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
In other words, what you're trying to point out is that since you're so greatly conservative, you wouldn't think of supporting changing the process in which the American president is selected no matter what. After all, it's all in the Constitution. And it's totally irrelevant that women couldn't vote and many blacks were slaves back when the Constitution was written.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
In other words, what you're trying to point out is that since you're so greatly conservative, you wouldn't think of supporting changing the process in which the American president is selected no matter what. After all, it's all in the Constitution. And it's totally irrelevant that women couldn't vote and many blacks were slaves back when the Constitution was written.
Troll game=weaker than normal today, even for you.

Get a good night's rest.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Troll game=weaker than normal today, even for you.

Get a good night's rest.
Well, what about you? As a conservative, aren't you greatly opposed to changing how the president is selected just because things have not been going victorious for the Democrat Party? As for me, I hardly care one way or the other. It just seems the Democrats need to play the game of politics better. There is too much risk in running proven losers as was Hillary in 2016 after she couldn't beat Obama in 2008.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Every single rule they've changed has come back to bite them. I would love to see those who sit on their hands get out and vote Trump for no other reason than to see this law used against these losers.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
You can be certain, if this happened there would be an immediate legal challenge to give those EVs to the Democrat. And it would win. They really have nothing to lose with the attempt.
Where's our legal eagles? Is JD around anymore? Where's are ex New Yorker? Certainly, these are being challenged. I've read others are passing laws keeping Trump off the ballot. Aren't write ins acceptable anyway? Even growing up I've never seen such bad losers in backyard football.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Where's our legal eagles? Is JD around anymore? Where's are ex New Yorker? Certainly, these are being challenged. I've read others are passing laws keeping Trump off the ballot. Aren't write ins acceptable anyway? Even growing up I've never seen such bad losers in backyard football.
States are responsible for how they elect their electors. This is completely Constitutional.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The more I think about this the more ludicrous it sounds. Pushing to make the whole country do this is one thing, I disagree, but I understand. With this however, Colorado is basically saying, we don't care what other states do, but we're going to let New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago decide where our EVs go.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
States are responsible for how they elect their electors. This is completely Constitutional.
It's completely constitutional. However, I expect a state court, in the event of a perverse outcome, to allow the state to "change its mind" irrespective of the law. Which, of course, is utter bullspit. They passed the law now they need to live with it regardless of whether they like the outcome or not.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
It's completely constitutional. However, I expect a state court, in the event of a perverse outcome, to allow the state to "change its mind" irrespective of the law. Which, of course, is utter bullspit. They passed the law now they need to live with it regardless of whether they like the outcome or not.
Oh, ok. Yes, that would and should be challenged. I don't really think states should be doing this. Repealing the "winner-take-all" approach seems like a much better "fix" to me.