College World Series Carneyman14 Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
Hi everybody. Here I am, sitting in a hotel room in Omaha, Nebraska awaiting the opening game of the 2016 College World Series. I didn’t know when I was going to be able to say those words. During football season, the only Bowl game I said I was going to attend was the National Championship, or the Sugar Bowl. Lo and behold, we were able to secure a Sugar Bowl bid. I said the same thing about the CWS and Omaha. Looking back at the season in March…. It didn’t seem much more than a pipe dream. I told my father on several occasions that this team didn’t seem to have “it”. Boy, was I wrong. This team has shown “it” over the last two weeks. So, eating a bit of crow, here is Day 1 in our 5 day CWS excursion.

I left OKC at about 10am, planning on getting to Collinsville, ‘merica at about noon. I picked up my father and off we went. We went north on highway 169 to Coffeyville, KS. Then later, jogging over to 75 north. Let me be the first to tell you, if traveling from the Tulsa area… Just take I-44 and then north on I-49. It might take about 30 minutes more, but its worth the 4 lanes. About 80% of the trip was on a two-lane road. We had about 386hp under the hood and we used every bit of it, passing trucks and mini-vans.

We arrived in Omaha right at 6:30pm. Parked outside our hotel. (Magnolia Hotel in Omaha)

I walked into the doors and I instantly lock eyes with a Miami fan. He couldn’t have been nicer to me. “Hey how’s it going?”, he asked. “Great, how about you?”, I said. First impressions of Omaha are that it is about the same size of Tulsa, but it is everything Tulsa wants to be. It feels like a bigger city than it is. People are out, being active; there are dive bars and upscale bars and restaurants. People are biking around. It’s very much alive. Tulsa can be like this. It is really close, but not quite there.

After unpacking, we left to head to the Fairfield Inn near the ballpark to collect our tickets. I parked, and my dad got out to get our tickets. They were in his name, so I stayed in the car. I ended up parking in front of a barricade, because there seemed to be no entrance into this lot at the Fairfield Inn. (I later found it) About 5 minutes of me just chilling in my dad’s car I see him walking out with @skirtguy. Well, I knew I couldn’t just let this sexy man go without a bro hug. After I told him how much I missed his musk, we left and parked back at the hotel.

My Dad and I were both starving by this time, so we just started walking towards where there seemed to be places with grub. We “settled” on a place called “Picklemans” not 4 blocks from our hotel.

They had toasted subs, and pizzas. Having sandwiches for lunch we both ended up with pizzas. While nothing to write home about, they certainly hit the spot. Only thing missing was a beer.

After our dinner we headed out and walked over to a little pub called “Wilson & Washburn”. I recommend this place hand over fist. Food looked good, but we just came for the booze.

I drank a local pale ale right off the bat, which was average, but then I got “Max’s Addiction by Infusion Brewing Company. Fantastic beer. I then tried the Stone Mocha IPA, which blew me away. “Wilson & Washburn” is a fantastic pub with a great atmosphere. Even the bartenders are very much aware what the CWS means to Omaha and were genuinely happy we were there. We ran into a couple at the bar driving up from Owasso, OK of all places. The wife was an AZ fan and the husband was an OSU fan. We leave the bar at about 9:45 and head back to our room. (Long day of day drinking ahead) But not before grabbing our complimentary cookie from the lobby.

It is just day one of this trip, but it has been such a blast already. I am looking forward to seeing TD Ameritrade up close and Game 1 against UCSB. I saw a few pokes walking around this evening, hopeful to see a sea of orange tomorrow.

Go Pokes!

(@Carneyman14)

Last edited:

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
That point of the night where I haven't had enough to drink to be dangerous, but just enough to pace anxiously in the living room, wondering if I should just blow off my other weekend commitments and drive to Omaha immediately.

PokesPeak

scentless apprentice
Aug 21, 2009
OKC
Will have to check it out.

I also want to visit some local breweries.
my roommate in college was from omaha... the crescent moon is a really great bar. dozens of good beers on tap, a beer store attached to it, and a german restaurant in the basement. its only about 5min from the ballpark too.

Jun 18, 2016
Omaha
The Benson neighborhood has two good microbreweries, Benson Brewery and Infusion Brewing. While in Benson consider hitting Krug Park, one of the best craft beer bars anywhere.

The fore-mentioned Crescent Moon is neighbors with Farnam House Brewery, it is more brew pub than true brewery though. The Old Market has Upstream, more restaurant than brewery, and Brickway Brewing which has a distillery too. Nearer the stadium, but still DT is Local, they have 60 taps that are all from only Nebraska breweries.

For some of the bigger operations you will have to head out to south west Omaha to find Lucky Bucket and Nebraska Brewing Company.

Hope you enjoy the city!

PokesPeak

scentless apprentice
Aug 21, 2009
OKC
The Benson neighborhood has two good microbreweries, Benson Brewery and Infusion Brewing. While in Benson consider hitting Krug Park, one of the best craft beer bars anywhere.

The fore-mentioned Crescent Moon is neighbors with Farnam House Brewery, it is more brew pub than true brewery though. The Old Market has Upstream, more restaurant than brewery, and Brickway Brewing which has a distillery too. Nearer the stadium, but still DT is Local, they have 60 taps that are all from only Nebraska breweries.

For some of the bigger operations you will have to head out to south west Omaha to find Lucky Bucket and Nebraska Brewing Company.

Hope you enjoy the city!
i knew there was a brewery up there i was forgetting. and upstream is the one. i actually have a pint glass from both crescent moon and upstream in my collection.

never been to CWS, but i've been to omaha a few times and never had a bad time!

and i agree with @officespacecowboy you HAVE to go to runza.