College World Series Carneyman14 Edition Day 2

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
College World Series trip Day 2

It’s 7am and I can’t sleep. I’m ready to head out and cheer on our Pokes. Someone else was on his way up to Omaha. You might know him as OSUFreak82. He reached out to me to see what our plans were. I told him we were getting ready and we planned on walking to the stadium in a little bit. After, I get my 4 cups of coffee in me, get dressed in a bunch of orange and we take off out the front door, walking the mile to TD Ameritrade. Thankful that we were able to book a hotel within walking distance

OSUFreak tells me that he is at this bar called DJ’s Dugout Sports Bar. We meet up with OSUFreak and @RedRoss at this pretty impressive sports bar with lots of TVs. I immediately ordered two Fat Tires they were delicious, of course. After a few beers, and after giving our sweet waitress a hard time for a couple of hours, we took off to the stadium.

It’s a neat experience to walk down that road and see the stadium off in the distance. We make a bee-line to the famous statue that is located outside the stadium behind home plate.

(photo cred: OSUFreak82)

We then head up the stairs to the gate behind home plate, and there is not much of a line to speak of. We have about 45min before the first pitch so we decide to do a lap taking in the sights and sounds of the College World Series. It is a very nice ballpark with plenty of room to move about and short lines to get food and beer. Oh, did I mention that this is the very first year that they have served beer at the CWS? Well it couldn’t have come at a better time. They make you show your ID to get a wristband, so that was a little strange compared to most sporting events I have attended, but I understand the logic. So after we grab some brews and waters we head up to our seats. We see OSU take the field and we are off. The CWS has officially begun.

The weather app on my phone says 91, but man it felt worse than that. I am sweating pretty profusely after the 1st inning. Overall, I drank 4 bottles of water. But it was hot up in section 222.

e5b072ee-bd12-470c-a14d-3ac92507fe97.jpeg

Thomas Hatch, have your self a game. Dude is straight dealing. I watched from the second deck as Hatch set up his hitters their first time around, and turned on the juice in the 7th 8th and 9th. Dude put us on his back and carried us to a Game 1 CWS win.

I couldn’t really hear a lot of OSU fans during the game, but I later figured out where everyone was thanks to this video from @RedRoss:

Speaking of @RedRoss he had a great story himself that I will screenshot:

Bill had 4 hits and 5 rbi in the 12-1 over AZ!

That is what Omaha and the CWS is all about. What an awesome story. I am thankful that he shared that.

After the OSU victory, we see the CWS souvenir booth; we buy a couple of shirts and koozies:

IMG_1075.JPG

After the game we head out towards out hotel, but after about ¼ of the way back I am getting quite parched. So we see this bar up ahead called “Tap house” so we pull in for some water and food.

tumblr_inline_nh7bzaMEkL1s1mdaw.jpg

We are told there was going to be a 10min wait, as this place is pretty full from people coming out of the game. We were not even there 5 minutes when a couple of OSU fans said that we could sit with them. OSU is just like a family. Here are two guys that I have never met; yet we bond instantly over our love for OSU Baseball. We down a bunch of water, and some delicious greasy cheese curds while we talk about the game and our Omaha trips so far. We have some really great fans and alumni here and it shows in the people that we meet. Even fans of other schools stop us on the street to congratulate us on our win and talk baseball for a few passing seconds.

The heat is really taking its toll on us now. So we are in our room now, watching the AZ vs Miami game. The winner, of course, will be our opponent Monday. The first win is now under our belt and hopefully out bats come alive on Monday. Omaha is definitely something special for any College Baseball fan. I am a believer now.

@Carneyman14

Attachments

Last edited:

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Left at 5 am with my FIL and his friend who is a sooner fan. We bought him his first orange shirt for the trip. It takes about 6 hours to get there. We park for $40 but only a few blocks from stadium. We get our tickets from Will Call and see @skirtguy. Then we grab lunch and a beer at The Blatt right across from the stadium. The. We check out all the souvenir shops and head to the stadium.
image.jpeg

Our seats were amazing.
image.jpeg

Lots of OSU fans and of course an amazing game. I even made the Jumbotron after we won. Drove back after the game and was home by midnight. Definitely compares with my Elite 8 experience in 2004 and hope next time I can spend a few days in Omaha.
Thanks for sharing @Carneyman14. Can't wait to read the next few days

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Left at 5 am with my FIL and his friend who is a sooner fan. We bought him his first orange shirt for the trip. It takes about 6 hours to get there. We park for $40 but only a few blocks from stadium. We get our tickets from Will Call and see @skirtguy. Then we grab lunch and a beer at The Blatt right across from the stadium. The. We check out all the souvenir shops and head to the stadium. View attachment 47784
Our seats were amazing. View attachment 47785
Lots of OSU fans and of course an amazing game. I even made the Jumbotron after we won. Drove back after the game and was home by midnight. Definitely compares with my Elite 8 experience in 2004 and hope next time I can spend a few days in Omaha.
Thanks for sharing @Carneyman14. Can't wait to read the next few days
Wow bud I was sitting probably 10 or 15 rows behind you ha ha. Section 117?? I was in the shade luckily for my pale skin but it was a great experience!!

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Wow bud I was sitting probably 10 or 15 rows behind you ha ha. Section 117?? I was in the shade luckily for my pale skin but it was a great experience!!
116 row 25. Row 24 was in the sun. We got lucky too

PCpoke83

Master of Puppets
Mar 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
www.facebook.com
College World Series trip Day 2

After the game we head out towards out hotel, but after about ¼ of the way back I am getting quite parched. So we see this bar up ahead called “Tap house” so we pull in for some water and food.

View attachment 47780

We are told there was going to be a 10min wait, as this place is pretty full from people coming out of the game. We were not even there 5 minutes when a couple of OSU fans said that we could sit with them. OSU is just like a family. Here are two guys that I have never met; yet we bond instantly over our love for OSU Baseball. We down a bunch of water, and some delicious greasy cheese curds while we talk about the game and our Omaha trips so far. We have some really great fans and alumni here and it shows in the people that we meet. Even fans of other schools stop us on the street to congratulate us on our win and talk baseball for a few passing seconds.

The heat is really taking its toll on us now. So we are in our room now, watching the AZ vs Miami game. The winner, of course, will be our opponent Monday. The first win is now under our belt and hopefully out bats come alive on Monday. Omaha is definitely something special for any College Baseball fan. I am a believer now.

@Carneyman14
That was me and @PC_cowboy33.