Coaches Poll

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
TCU and Baylor were left out because the committee had a nice, shiny blue blood called Ohio State available for them to consider. Ohio State is worth significantly more to almost everybody in college football than Baylor and TCU... which is why they were left out.
either that or they actually won their conference - 59-0 in the Champ game, against a ranked opponent.

and if I"m not mistaken... tOSU won the MNC that year to validate the selection.

'Two somebodies are going to be left out': Inside the 2014 CFP decision
https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../when-ohio-state-kept-tcu-big-12-2014-playoff

Nov 8, 2013
But TCU and Baylor were both co-winners of their conference as well. Lack of a conference championship game, you say? OK. Then jump to 2016, when a conference championship game winner (Penn State) was not selected - in favor of a team they beat head--head (once again, Ohio State). I think I get your point to avoid to avoid living in conspiracy-land and victimhood. And that's a good thing to keep in front of all of us. But there are some very clear trend points. Help me find the case when a Blue Blood lost the bubble debate to a non-Blue Blood. Can't use Ohio State in 2018. They were over-looked for fellow-Blue Bloods Alabama, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame... as well as undefeated "new Blue Blood" Clemson.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
But TCU and Baylor were both co-winners of their conference as well. Lack of a conference championship game, you say? OK. Then jump to 2016, when a conference championship game winner (Penn State) was not selected - in favor of a team they beat head--head (once again, Ohio State). I think I get your point to avoid to avoid living in conspiracy-land and victimhood. And that's a good thing to keep in front of all of us. But there are some very clear trend points. Help me find the case when a Blue Blood lost the bubble debate to a non-Blue Blood. Can't use Ohio State in 2018. They were over-looked for fellow-Blue Bloods Alabama, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame... as well as undefeated "new Blue Blood" Clemson.
A fair point but looking at the field since the inception of the playoffs, it looks like the blue bloods have been consistently the best teams in the country. SC has been down so the pac 12 has sent oregon and washington in a couple off years in which the field was filled with 3 of those blue bloods.

Penn st. got spurned because they were a 2 loss team, the best 2 loss, but a 2 loss. It seems like that 2nd loss puts a bad taste in the mouths of the committee. If washington, clemson or ohio st had a 2nd loss though, now we're having a different conversation.

2018 might be a close-ish example because georgia was 5 and ohio state 6. I would say georgia is not quite blue blood status, but not far away. So while neither made the field of 4, a blue blood lost a bubble debate, if you will, to a non blue blood. But it's not the strongest example.

I feel like each season will have some sort of new factor we havent seen before and they'll go how they'll go. There will come a time where we'll have three undefeateds, or four 2 loss teams. Or a 3 loss team who beat three top 10 teams on the bubble. I will conceded blue bloods have a higher margin for error, and that there is some bias and perhaps blue blood privilege. Only way to overcome that is to be clearly be better than them, clemson figured that one out.

VENTRINO

You've got 5 seconds.. and 3 are up.
Sep 10, 2008
The Dojo
Coaches smoaches.. we’ve got a ton of experts on this very board who are much, much smarter than those cockroaches.

We’re going undefeated.

We’re gonna be the first college team to play an exhibition with an NFL team.

We’re gonna beat that NFL team.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Coaches smoaches.. we’ve got a ton of experts on this very board who are much, much smarter than those cockroaches.

We’re going undefeated.

We’re gonna be the first college team to play an exhibition with an NFL team.

We’re gonna beat that NFL team.