Coaches Poll

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
It’s great for us because we get to go beat them in Austin for the sixth straight time and our ranking will rise to the heavens.
I am always less confident about the UT game than others on here, and the team keeps proving me wrong. I know we are going to get their best shot this year and people do forget they were actually a very good team last year. This is the real RRR for the UT crowd this year.
Could Texas be looking past the pokes to the RRS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I am always less confident about the UT game than others on here, and the team keeps proving me wrong. I know we are going to get their best shot this year and people do forget they were actually a very good team last year. This is the real RRR for the UT crowd this year.
Yep they were a very good team and we kicked their butts...Gundy has pretty much owned the horns for nearly a decade. We need this trend to continue. I'm hopeful that we go into Austin and win again. It's become a game I expect us to win.

Nov 6, 2010
Over/Under on number of times we'll see this pic this season?

Someone make an algorithm that takes into account wins and losses, passing TD's, interceptions, rushing yards, etc, and it should be a pretty predictable number, well within a small margin of error of 100 or so.

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
. It's also clear as night and day that only a select few have a chance to get in the CFP. Even when it goes to 8 teams it will be a select group from the club.
Don't care about the poll. But this ^ is the real problem. The national championship game is nothing but a blueblood bowl.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Don't care about the poll. But this ^ is the real problem. The national championship game is nothing but a blueblood bowl.
Totally agree and if we ever want to make a four team playoff we cannot afford anything except a completely undefeated season...and even then it's my belief they would attempt to keep us out (as they did in 2011 with only one loss on a no call field goal). Once they expand the playoff it "should" help, but the powers that be might just use that expansion for even more blue bloods and the exclusion of deserving teams may likely continue.

Nov 8, 2013
Totally agree and if we ever want to make a four team playoff we cannot afford anything except a completely undefeated season...and even then it's my belief they would attempt to keep us out (as they did in 2011 with only one loss on a no call field goal). Once they expand the playoff it "should" help, but the powers that be might just use that expansion for even more blue bloods and the exclusion of deserving teams may likely continue.
Agree completely with both of you. Until we have that perfect season, however, we need to stay in the discussion most years for as long as possible (aka, as deep into the season as possible). We did that in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017 (a *very* impressive run!). Not a bad run for a non-Blue Blood. Let's get back in the discussion this year (beating Texas is a must for this) and I think it positions us for a selection when the time comes. But bottom line, we cannot go head-to-head for the final spot in the playoff field with a long-time Blue Blood with an identical record.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
oh brother.... they DID NOT Keep us out of the playoff in 2011 because of anything... because there was no playoff then. They had a pretty contest poll, and we weren't pretty enough.

One-loss teams make the playoff occasionally, and get excluded - but that can pretty much be said about any team. One loss makes you more of a bubble team, no matter who you are.

We must win the conference before we can continue to cry about something that has not been shown to be true. TCU/BU got left out once, but that was the B12 not picking a "winner" (or so they said).

Why does everything have to be so absolute? There is no evidence that OSU would be intentionally omitted from the playoff with a one-loss season.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We must win the conference before we can continue to cry about something that has not been shown to be true. TCU/BU got left out once, but that was the B12 not picking a "winner" (or so they said).

I don't remember the details about TCU, but Baylor didn't help themselves with their, directional school, non conference scheduling.

Nov 8, 2013
oh brother.... they DID NOT Keep us out of the playoff in 2011 because of anything... because there was no playoff then. They had a pretty contest poll, and we weren't pretty enough.

One-loss teams make the playoff occasionally, and get excluded - but that can pretty much be said about any team. One loss makes you more of a bubble team, no matter who you are.

Why does everything have to be so absolute? There is no evidence that OSU would be intentionally omitted from the playoff with a one-loss season.
I agree with you that OSU would not *intentionally* be left out in some conspiracy way. We all know 2011 was not a CFP year, but the concept of humans voting in a "pretty contest poll" for what they thought was most important for determining the final cut remains the same (in 2011 it was the human portion of the BCS poll, today it is the CFP Selectrion Committee). The 2014 TCU/Baylor and 2016 Penn State scenarios remain extremely relevant for our CFP future. Go undefeated (winning the Big 12 along the way) is our only high-confidence path to the CFP. That is simply not the same story (replacing conference names when applicable) for Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC and maybe a few others. With 1 loss, those teams would be on the bubble, as you say. I think we all believe - and historical evidence has backed this up - that they would find themselves on the more favorable side of the bubble discussion.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
TCU and Baylor were left out because the committee had a nice, shiny blue blood called Ohio State available for them to consider. Ohio State is worth significantly more to almost everybody in college football than Baylor and TCU... which is why they were left out.