Coach Mike Boynton, the right guy for the Cowboys

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
This is why Coach Mike is the right guy for OSU basketball:

“It’s unbelievable. I’m so proud of these kids,” Mike Boynton told ESPN. “I’m so proud of our program. I’m so fortunate. I’m not sure there’s anybody more fortunate in college basketball coaching than I am. To have this opportunity to come home and coach these kids who play so hard … Thanksgiving week, right? I’m thankful.”

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
When we first hired him, like many, I thought we just went for the discount hire. Much like my target dating demographic in college, cheap and easy to find. It didn't take long to see why he is liked by those who have worked with him, but still not an exciting hire, and I had just been fooled by Underwood into thinking he was all in for our program too. Then his name is associated with some dirt which was the last thing we needed. Whether it was fair or not, or he knew about it or not, just more concerns about the new guy.

The more he showed up at other events in Stillwater the more I started to buy in that this guy was the real deal as far as his love of Stillwater. I saw him hopping around with Mr. Orange Power signaling first downs at the football games and cheering on women's soccer. He showed he could recruit like almost no coach has in Stillwater. He kicked kids off the team when they needed to be kicked off the team, even though it made life harder for himself. Even to someone like myself, who doesn't really know basketball, you could see the difference in the product on the floor versus the Ford run offenses. He coached injured and depleted teams to improvement when the deck seemed stacked against him.

Now here we are with a team who still hasn't made the show under Boynton and facing possible trouble from the NCAA. I like him, I respect him, and I believe he is the answer for our basketball program. It's easy to do things right and be amicable when all is going well. Boynton has faced adversity, is now emerging from the difficulty and is positioned to start reaping the benefits of his efforts. I am all in with this guy.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
When we first hired him, like many, I thought we just went for the discount hire. Much like my target dating demographic in college, cheap and easy to find. It didn't take long to see why he is liked by those who have worked with him, but still not an exciting hire, and I had just been fooled by Underwood into thinking he was all in for our program too. Then his name is associated with some dirt which was the last thing we needed. Whether is was fair or not, or he knew about it or not, just more concerns about the new guy.

The more he showed up and other events in Stillwater the more I started to buy in that this guy was the real deal as far as his love of Stillwater. I saw him hopping around with Mr. Orange Power signaling first downs at the football games and cheering on women's soccer. He showed he could recruit like almost no coach has in Stillwater. He kicked kids off the team when they needed to be kicked off the team, even though it made life harder for himself. Even to someone like myself, who doesn't really know basketball, you could see the difference in the product on the floor versus the Ford run offenses. He coached injured and depleted teams to improvement when the deck seemed stacked against him.

Now here we are with a team who still hasn't made the show under Boynton and facing possible trouble from the NCAA. I like him, I respect him, and I believe he is the answer for our basketball program. It's easy to do things right and be amicable when all is going well. Boynton has faced adversity, is now emerging from the difficulty and is positioned to start reaping the benefits of his efforts. I am all in with this guy.
I totally agree with this.

I was on the “bring Doug Home” train...while I love Doug and still think he could be a good coach, I was wrong about Boyton. I am so impressed with the way his kids play..their defense, their rebounding, their willingness to work the ball and actually run a half court offense designed to get the best shot...they are fundamentally sound and he seems to be all in as both a coach and ambassador for OSU..he can recruit too.

I honestly think we have something here. I am so excited about cowboy basketball!!

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I think the dude relates to and drives the players better than any coach we've had since eddie left. Starting to see that he can recruit. He has shown flashes of being a really good game manager in terms of play design, I think he still has room for improvement in that area. Manages the game from a personnel standpoint well on a consistent basis.

I'm really excited about the future of this program as long as Boynton is around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2006
I know I'll get roasted for this but I just hope Holder doesn't screw this up. Holder has done great things for OSU that we are all thankful for but handling contracts is one of areas I think he would like a few do overs. He goes overboard with huge salary contracts we can't get out of, or he goes cheap. Boynton was one of the hires that make Holder look like a genius, if he lets him leave it nullifies all that.

I firmly believe that Boynton and his wife like Stillwater and are humble, appreciative, and loyal people that will stick around as long as we treat him fairly. Other programs will throw money at him but as long as we match what the market shows he is worth we can keep him. OSU is really a great gig - history and tradition, great conference, great facilities, and not a lot of pressure. As long as the fans show up and pack GIA, why would someone leave?

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I know I'll get roasted for this but I just hope Holder doesn't screw this up. Holder has done great things for OSU that we are all thankful for but handling contracts is one of areas I think he would like a few do overs. He goes overboard with huge salary contracts we can't get out of, or he goes cheap. Boynton was one of the hires that make Holder look like a genius, if he lets him leave it nullifies all that.

I firmly believe that Boynton and his wife like Stillwater and are humble, appreciative, and loyal people that will stick around as long as we treat him fairly. Other programs will throw money at him but as long as we match what the market shows he is worth we can keep him. OSU is really a great gig - history and tradition, great conference, great facilities, and not a lot of pressure. As long as the fans show up and pack GIA, why would someone leave?
I think that’s fair.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I agree, there's gonna be a fine line, contract wise, if we continue this upward trajectory throughout this season.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Holder gave him a chance when no one else would, especially the posters on this board. I think they probably have a close enough relationship that they can work it

I bet you guys are a load of fun at work. All you ever do is play the blame game. Just sit back and enjoy it for as long as you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
I
When we first hired him, like many, I thought we just went for the discount hire. Much like my target dating demographic in college, cheap and easy to find. It didn't take long to see why he is liked by those who have worked with him, but still not an exciting hire, and I had just been fooled by Underwood into thinking he was all in for our program too. Then his name is associated with some dirt which was the last thing we needed. Whether it was fair or not, or he knew about it or not, just more concerns about the new guy.

The more he showed up at other events in Stillwater the more I started to buy in that this guy was the real deal as far as his love of Stillwater. I saw him hopping around with Mr. Orange Power signaling first downs at the football games and cheering on women's soccer. He showed he could recruit like almost no coach has in Stillwater. He kicked kids off the team when they needed to be kicked off the team, even though it made life harder for himself. Even to someone like myself, who doesn't really know basketball, you could see the difference in the product on the floor versus the Ford run offenses. He coached injured and depleted teams to improvement when the deck seemed stacked against him.

I want so badly to end up with the Mike Boynton coach’s box, on Eddie Sutton court, at GIA. Or something like that.

Tulley

Greenhorn
Feb 27, 2018
Chariton, IA
I have no ties to OSU. Have never even been to the state of Oklahoma. Oddly enough in the 8th grade I flipped on a game between OSU vs Texas in GIA that went 3 OT. I’ve followed OSU ever since for the simple fact that it was the best atmosphere I had seen in sports up to that point and possibly the best game. Didn’t really know what I was getting myself into for the next 12 years, but here I am excited as ever watching Boynton lead these guys into a special era. I have a great feeling this is what I’ve been waiting for! Go Pokes!!

Oct 29, 2016
US
We're in the top 25! I'd post a link, but I was banned (and still am..) from the recruiting forum for posting a link some 6-7 months ago. Regardless, Boynton has us going in the right direction, and next year's class indicates the upward trajectory will resume for years to come.

Boynton has great character, something that many commentators have mentioned while interacting with the HC. Now I see one reason why he was hired, as I once was, and I'm sure I'm was not alone, skeptical of his hiring. Skeptical due to lack of HC-ing experience. Boy, has he made irrelevant my worries and has easily erased all qualms I had once fretted.

HC Boynton is an excellent representative of Oklahoma State and the entire state of Oklahoma. His recruits all like him very much, and I hope this has also translated within the fan base.. let's show HC and his players that we appreciate their hard work and their impeccable representation of the entire OSU organization.

Dec 6, 2011
I’m stoked for him, seems like a great representative of the university and is aiming for the heavens with his recruiting. I was also stoked when Ford took us to the second round and when Underwood nearly took out Michigan during their awesome run. Therefore I’m going to stay optimistic but hope for some more sustained success as I’ve been burned before.