Coach Dunn to UNLV

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. UNLV is so irrelevant and weak, that even if you do have some "success" there, no one's going to really care. Arroyo is the OC at Oregon, and already a know quantity. Another good year and he could probably have some much better offers. I suppose Dunn could get some valuable OC experience, but he'd better hope they win a bunch.
When you look at the offer, it's kinda hard to say no to. First of all, UNLV has no where to go but up. Plus, they've got the money and all that Vegas has to offer. And the Raiders are coming to town. What better way to showcase your talent as a coach and player than that World Wide Attraction -- Las Vegas.

I'm not sure if Carrot Top or The Rich Little Show had much to do with swaying our coaches away from Stillwater, but it's an easier town to fly in and out of that's for sure.

I think our biggest loss of coordinators and assistants was Monken. We haven't had that swagger since.

Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. UNLV is so irrelevant and weak, that even if you do have some "success" there, no one's going to really care. Arroyo is the OC at Oregon, and already a know quantity. Another good year and he could probably have some much better offers. I suppose Dunn could get some valuable OC experience, but he'd better hope they win a bunch.
Raiders start play in Vegas next year. They have the proverbial red carpet treatment from the city, county and state. You would be hard pressed to find a time that UNLV football was going to be more irrelevant to the locals. Arroyo went from TBP money and well above average fan support at OSU to PK money and fanatical support at Oregon. Now he will be fighting for table scraps from the Raiders and Vegas itself.

Last edited:

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
From the Las Vegas Sun Times

Lack of leadership
The UNLV athletic department was run like a mom-and-pop operation for a long time, but that’s over now. Athletic Director Desiree Reed-Francois is the epitome of corporate efficiency, and under her watch, the days of bungled coaching searches have come to an end. With her experience running the football program at Virginia Tech, she knows what a Football Bowl Subdivision team is supposed to look like, and the Rebels now function like one at the very top.
No investment in the program
Rebels football is no longer underfunded. In the past three months, UNLV has opened a new practice facility and hired a coveted head coach, and neither came cheap. The price tag on the Fertitta Football Complex was more than $34 million, and Arroyo’s 5-year, $7.7 million contract makes him the third-highest paid coach in the Mountain West Conference. Reed-Francois also said there’s enough money left over to make Arroyo’s staff one of the highest-paid in the conference.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Raiders start play in Vegas next year. They have the proverbial red carpet treatment from the city, county and state. You would be hard pressed to find a time that UNLV football was going to be more irrelevant to the locals. Arroyo went from TBS money and well above average fan support at OSU to PK money and fanatical support at Oregon. Now he will be fighting for table scraps from the Raiders and Vegas itself.
Really, a reference to the T Boone State moniker by one of our own fans? Dear god, I hope that was some kind of typo.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Just so I can come back later and proclaim my brilliance! Todd Monken.
It's not crazy to think he may be available this off season after the year Cleveland has had.
He’s getting fired along with the rest of the staff. He hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire since he left OSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
... and under her watch, the days of bungled coaching searches have come to an end. ...
I know you posted someone else's thoughts on the state of the UNLV program, but isn't a bit early for this person to be making this statement? You might feel good about a coaching hire, but generally it takes two or three seasons before you know how it's going to work out.

Aug 16, 2012
He’s getting fired along with the rest of the staff. He hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire since he left OSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rams are reportedly going to shake up the house too. ZRob may be looking for a new challenge.