CNBC Judges Oklahoma 43rd Best State For Business

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
It appears that the report is data-driven and again confirms what has been known fact for decades: Oklahoma is a poor, back-asswards southern state that some happen to love and where our beloved Cowboys reside. And it is in the rear view mirror for most who manage to graduate from college and seek a way out. I haven't seen a study on the topic, but I would bet that income disparity in our state is at or near the top for all states in the US. One is either at the top of the O&G bidnez or struggling to make their house payment.
income disparity? WTF?

the story was about how badly the bozo represented facts, now you're going to go totally fiction with the thread?

please try to focus

Aug 16, 2012
I'd be curious to see the numbers on the percentages of recent college grads that leave the state.

Big part of the problem is talent retention. The top grads at OU, OSU, and TU that don't get jobs at Conoco Phillips, Devon, Willams or one of the other energy companies is likely going to Texas, Arkansas, or KC. Wal Mart, Exxon, Cerner, and several others have been heavily recruiting top OU and OSU talent for years now.

Plus with the current tech sales boom in Dallas a lot of business graduates are getting great entry level sales gigs that pay over $80k per year right out of school... so it's kind of a no brainer to do that.
Young, 35 or under tech sales guys in my neighborhood (about 6-8 that I am friends with) are making $500k+, putting in or remodeling pools, adding on to their houses and almost all of their wives do not work. Your point is valid but IME, actually under-represents the lucrative nature of that profession.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Young, 35 or under tech sales guys in my neighborhood (about 6-8 that I am friends with) are making $500k+, putting in or remodeling pools, adding on to their houses and almost all of their wives do not work. Your point is valid but IME, actually under-represents the lucrative nature of that profession.
Yeah those guys are probably in shoes similar to mine (frankly, with where you live, I probably know them... I'm just a lone holdout that is still living in the city and hasn't started a family yet) where they have 7+ years of experience in the industry and have a solid book of business built up. I've jumped three times chasing a startup and this most recent one is a steady, well established company... but the equity in those startups will be nice in the next three or four years.

The entry level folks in some of these inside sales offices are typically capped around $80k-$90k, but they're doing entry level sales stuff like lead generation and lead routing... but the thing is, people who went to schools like OSU and studied marketing are THRILLED to be living in Dallas or Plano and making that much money and will work in that role for 3 or 4 years, which is why so many tech companies are opening inside sales offices in the area. You don't get that in the Bay Area or NYC.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
A little down time between trips to Phoenix and was perusing the headlines here and this one caught my eye.
While I know it's fashionable to denigrate the Oklahoma business climate, I would caution you to look towards the people who make decisions, not the people trying to sell magazines or gain click throughs.
I don't consider myself an expert in anything, in fact I'm not particularly bright but there are areas where I am more educated than others (not others as in people others as in subject matter)

Having said that, I can take any set of numbers you provide and if you give me your desired outcome I can make those figures support that outcome, what I can't do is take the actual outcome of your actions and make your numbers fit that, simply put the actions of those who make decisions create outcomes, those outcomes are finite, regardless of what the numbers say.

One of the reasons I rejoined the workforce (if that is really what I do is called) is that, one I was asked and 2 I had been watching from the sidelines for a while and saw a state in disarray as it related to the business climate here and that I knew I could rapidly create a pipeline of oppty to work with alternate funding and vc backed startups and turnarounds (slo/no growth) to help them both from an efficiency of operations perspective and assist them in navigating the myriad of regulatory actions that this state enacts on a regular bases, as an example on January 1st of this year over 1200 new business regulations for sm / med sized business went into effect, that on top of the more than 1000 that went into effect the prior year and what is most damning is that some of those regulations either materially modified or simply nullified the regulations from the prior year, most coming with substantial penalty for non-compliance even when you were in compliance based on the prior year changes, so when I am able to, which is not often right now, I have the distinct pleasure of working with a few very intelligent folks in doing just that.
One of the activities I have taken on for my firm is that I was attending a number of Executive conferences across the country and encompassing a broad spectrum of business sectors, in doing so a truth, that I was keenly aware of, came to light, business is business, if you are running a 4 person BI co or a 10 person hvac company, the type of injurious efforts the state puts forth are different in that they take on the form of your sector but the effort and the action to mediate the injury is the same regardless of business.

All of this is a longwinded way of saying, I was in 2 conferences where the subject of business friendly states both creation and relocation was a roundtable discussion, with accompanying documentation, ultimately the CEO community in the US sees Tx as the #1 state for starting and doing business, Oklahoma consistently hovers around 20, sorry that it doesn't match the 'figures' or the narrative but ultimately the people making decisions see Oklahoma as a reasonably attractive state and you cannot back into that.