CJ Moore enters transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 3, 2004
Sanders passing game was not exactly electric. He struggled to read the coverage and basically locked in on one or two guys per play. Do you think any of these WR departures are a lack of confidence in his ability to improve?

Sep 17, 2016
Dallas
Sanders passing game was not exactly electric. He struggled to read the coverage and basically locked in on one or two guys per play. Do you think any of these WR departures are a lack of confidence in his ability to improve?
It may be telling that the team is more run heavy than our historical offensive schemes would suggest typical

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Well, thank goodness we didn’t lose any of the 3 star guys who can catch simple jet sweeps passes and corner fade routes...as Gundy himself described as a low turnover risk route that even he could catch given the defender doesn’t know where the ball is going. We are losing some of the 4 star guys who can actually run routes like crossing patterns, slants, and deep routes that require speed. Since we don’t have those plays in our game plan, its best they move to a place where they do.

I know, I know but but what about Wallace. Easy to pick one success, which he is, and wash the others away who leave as not committed...couldn’t crack the depth chart...blah blah blah.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Well, thank goodness we didn’t lose any of the 3 star guys who can catch simple jet sweeps passes and corner fade routes...as Gundy himself described as a low turnover risk route that even he could catch given the defender doesn’t know where the ball is going. We are losing some of the 4 star guys who can actually run routes like crossing patterns, slants, and deep routes that require speed. Since we don’t have those plays in our game plan, its best they move to a place where they do.

I know, I know but but what about Wallace. Easy to pick one success, which he is, and wash the others away who leave as not committed...couldn’t crack the depth chart...blah blah blah.
If "these guys" were so great about "running crossing patterns, slants, and deep routes that require speed", why did they never produce on the field ?
Of the 4 WRs leaving, they had a TOTAL of 93 yards this past year. 93

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
This just further plays into the Gundy preference for a 3 star you can count on over a 4 star who will bounce attitude.

Jan 14, 2006
This just further plays into the Gundy preference for a 3 star you can count on over a 4 star who will bounce attitude.
I've tried to pay better attention to our recent recruiting. What I've noticed is that we start recruiting and sometimes even offering these guys before they are even ranked.

I think it's just as likely that our coaches never pay attention to how many stars a guy has and recruit based on what they see on tape and the make up of the player.

It does seem that we've had better success developing our 3 star recruits than most teams and we have more "misses" on 4 stars than we'd like. I think that has more to do with the arbitrary rankings system than our coaches.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I've tried to pay better attention to our recent recruiting. What I've noticed is that we start recruiting and sometimes even offering these guys before they are even ranked.

I think it's just as likely that our coaches never pay attention to how many stars a guy has and recruit based on what they see on tape and the make up of the player.

It does seem that we've had better success developing our 3 star recruits than most teams and we have more "misses" on 4 stars than we'd like. I think that has more to do with the arbitrary rankings system than our coaches.
I'm quite sure Gundy doesn't care about stars, but whether you are aware of stars or not I'm sure the coaching staff knows who everyone sees as the next Jerry Rice.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

All of these transfers are to lesser programs with more playing time available, which makes room for more recruits, some of which may actually contribute.

If we start losing starting players to blue bloods, then I will be worried.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I don't blame the kids (and that's what they are; kids/young adults) for not honoring their commitment. By establishing the portal the NCAA has provided a firm endorsement of and encouragement for student athletes to transfer if they aren't happy with anything, be it the school, the program, or PT prospects.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't blame the kids (and that's what they are; kids/young adults) for not honoring their commitment. By establishing the portal the NCAA has provided a firm endorsement of and encouragement for student athletes to transfer if they aren't happy with anything, be it the school, the program, or PT prospects.
Just to play Devil's Advocate here: how much has the portal really changed transferring?

And feel free to correct me wherever I'm wrong here, but transferring is still pretty fundamentally the same. The introduction of the Portal just makes a kid's exploration of transferring public. Same rule on sitting out a year is in place, schools can't block kids now (hooray, btw!), so how much of the angst over the portal is simply the combination of knowing publicly which kids are looking around & a paradigm shift occurring with how kids are looking at transferring.

Just my opinion, but I think the Grad Transfer rule has had a larger impact than the Portal. Part of that impact, too, is kids getting their degree to become eligible for it, which is a good thing.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Just to play Devil's Advocate here: how much has the portal really changed transferring?

And feel free to correct me wherever I'm wrong here, but transferring is still pretty fundamentally the same. The introduction of the Portal just makes a kid's exploration of transferring public. Same rule on sitting out a year is in place, schools can't block kids now (hooray, btw!), so how much of the angst over the portal is simply the combination of knowing publicly which kids are looking around & a paradigm shift occurring with how kids are looking at transferring.

Just my opinion, but I think the Grad Transfer rule has had a larger impact than the Portal. Part of that impact, too, is kids getting their degree to become eligible for it, which is a good thing.
Doesn't the Portal allow other schools to legally contact the player? Before the player was the only one who could legally approach other schools.