City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Well, the college kids have invaded early. Traffic is bad and I bet no social distancing going on down on the strip.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
WRONG. These days it's only mainly the townies and the out of towners going to the strip at night.
I can't tell if you're actually trolling on this or not. because of the townies were the only ones really going down on the strip then every parking spot wouldn't be full as well as the bank parking lot and all the parking spaces along the road behind McDonald's as well. That's a typical college night on the strip. As well as seeing a bunch of them walking from south of 6th Street. I guarantee you this is a bunch of college kids every house on my street is already full again with college kids after just emptying a few weeks ago and that's the same way all over town. I guarantee you a lot of the rentals and the apartment buildings are starting to fill up because I see the college kids driving all over town. And my son sees them meeting at Braum's at night in groups of sorority girls and fraternity boys while he's working.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I can't tell if you're actually trolling on this or not. because of the townies were the only ones really going down on the strip then every parking spot wouldn't be full as well as the bank parking lot and all the parking spaces along the road behind McDonald's as well. That's a typical college night on the strip. As well as seeing a bunch of them walking from south of 6th Street. I guarantee you this is a bunch of college kids every house on my street is already full again with college kids after just emptying a few weeks ago and that's the same way all over town. I guarantee you a lot of the rentals and the apartment buildings are starting to fill up because I see the college kids driving all over town. And my son sees them meeting at Braum's at night in groups of sorority girls and fraternity boys while he's working.

No, I most certainly wasn't trolling. Far from it! Seriously, you're the one with the wrong perceptions of what is going on, wrenhal. Why should a lot of college students be in town now since it's summer and classes are on line? The majority of college students aren't even old enough to go to bars. At least they can go to the restaurants on the strip. The city of Stillwater claims it can't hire lifeguards for the pool, due to hardly any college students available. Yet, some college students remain, especially from having jobs in Stillwater, but not very many of them.

Do you even go to the bars on the strip? I go to some of them. Back in January, I went to the Salty Dog Saloon to hear Morgan sing. The majority of people there were over 25 or 30. Another reason why you're wrong is during the summer of 2018, I spent time on weekend nights until around midnight on the strip mostly at the corner of 4th and Washington getting signatures to legalize med and rec marijuana and close to half of the signatures were of people who were from out of town. So yes, it's a matter of fact that the strip during the summer, especially the bars, have to rely on a good number of out of town people to keep in business along with help from the townies. If you can't accept that as the truth, then that is just too bad.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
[QUOTE="StillwaterTownie, post: 4078694, member: 7520" The city of Stillwater claims it can't hire lifeguards for the pool, due to hardly any college students available. Yet, some college students remain, especially from having jobs in Stillwater, but not very many of them.
.[/QUOTE]

The City of Yukon (non-college town) is having difficulty finding lifeguards as well. Perhaps is has more to do with individuals not wanting a job that may require extreme close contact with others in this Covid time.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

No, I most certainly wasn't trolling. Far from it! Seriously, you're the one with the wrong perceptions of what is going on, wrenhal. Why should a lot of college students be in town now since it's summer and classes are on line? The majority of college students aren't even old enough to go to bars. At least they can go to the restaurants on the strip. The city of Stillwater claims it can't hire lifeguards for the pool, due to hardly any college students available. Yet, some college students remain, especially from having jobs in Stillwater, but not very many of them.

Do you even go to the bars on the strip? I go to some of them. Back in February, I went to the Salty Dog Saloon to hear Morgan sing. The majority of people there were over 25 or 30. Another reason why you're wrong is during the summer of 2018, I spent time on weekend nights until around midnight on the strip mostly at the corner of 4th and Washington getting signatures to legalize med and rec marijuana and close to half of the signatures were of people who were from out of town. So yes, it's a matter of fact that the strip during the summer, especially the bars, have to rely on a good number of out of town people to keep in business along with help from the townies. If you can't accept that as the truth, then that is just too bad.
You are speaking about a typical summer. These kids came back because they've signed for their rentals and are here to live in them. There were not enough college kids for lifeguards. That was after the majority of kids moved out of town due to no more college for the spring or summer. Still aren't now because they would still have to go through red cross certification.
As for classes, fall semester is in person at this point.

From paying attention to the amount of traffic, to the amount of cars parked on the sides of streets, to the number of large groups at Braum's even, I can tell you that this is just like it normally is towards the end of July. A large group of college kids that normally move in August 1st apparently have all rented their apartments and houses two months early and moved in. I drive in this town a good 4 hours a day and I see all the sorority/fraternity letters and all the college kids shopping at Walmart buying things and such. So I can tell you from experience that there are a larger amount of college kids in town this summer than normal.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
Don't see why college students should be coming back to town unless to go to jobs. Summer classes are online. OSU library closed.
Because house rentals run from June - May and have to be paid, so the room is available, and it's being paid for, and don't want to live with mom and dad anymore would rather be with friends. Plus, "it won't happen to me", and if it does "I probably won't have any symptoms" and if I do "I'll be the 99% that will recover".

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Shall we start with it's a free country. Why in the world would you think it's any of your business as to why a student has returned to Stillwater?
Extremely true how you're right that it's absolutely none of my business, but it doesn't stop be from wondering why an OSU student wants to spend the summer in Stillwater unless it's over a job.