City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
Do those figures include students? If so then the "townies" are still only about 20K
It does include students. According to Wikipedia, the 2010 Stillwater enrollment was 23,000 and the current enrollment is 25,000. From 2010 to 2018, the student population has increased 2,000 while the general population has increased 4,000. Stillwater is roughly half-and-half students and general population.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Do those figures include students? If so then the "townies" are still only about 20K
This has always been a problem in college towns. Though the students reside there 9-10 months/year, they get counted as residing with their parents unless they make the individual effort to say they actually live in Stillwater.
I remember Cristy Morrison (Visit Stillwater Director) talking about this in the leadup to the 2010 census. They really worked hard to try & get students to understand this & get as many counted as possible. There was a general feeling amongst the people working on it that the students have been woefully undercounted through the years.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This has always been a problem in college towns. Though the students reside there 9-10 months/year, they get counted as residing with their parents unless they make the individual effort to say they actually live in Stillwater.
I remember Cristy Morrison (Visit Stillwater Director) talking about this in the leadup to the 2010 census. They really worked hard to try & get students to understand this & get as many counted as possible. There was a general feeling amongst the people working on it that the students have been woefully undercounted through the years.
Is there any way for them to differentiate students from full time residents? Would be nice to truly know.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
It does include students. According to Wikipedia, the 2010 Stillwater enrollment was 23,000 and the current enrollment is 25,000. From 2010 to 2018, the student population has increased 2,000 while the general population has increased 4,000. Stillwater is roughly half-and-half students and general population.
It does not include most students. When Stillwater was making a push to reach 50,000 by the 2010 census they explained which students were counted but I don't remember all the details. Basically a lot of the grad students and very few undergrads. It was approximately 5% of total enrollment that counted as part of the population.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yes, HEB! or Reasor's!
While I haven't been in Stillwater for a few years, I couldn't agree with you guys more. At least Sprouts moved in to break up the WalMart stranglehold on groceries.

That being said, I think you guys would love it & it might be more realistic to attract Crest Grocery to Stillwater. It's a chain out of Edmond that I shopped at regularly while I lived in Norman. Stores are always clean & well staffed, with good food options that are different than WM's offerings. They'll carry the groceries out, btw, so kind of old school in that regard.

http://www.crestfoodsok.com/locations.aspx

Homeland going in, again, wouldn't excite me at all. Having multiple locations in Norman while I was there, I could never understand how they stay in business. Old stores with narrow aisles, poor selection, & prices that seemed inexplicable to me. And the Homeland's are the same here in Colorado. If people have no other option, they seem to do okay business-wise, but if there are options, those stores are ghost towns.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
But enrollment has been declining every year since 2013-14 when it peaked at 26,073. I speculate that was the reason why plans were called off to build that mid rise apartment complex just east of Eskimo Joe's. I bet that made Stan Clark sad. At least enrollment decline didn't stop Stillwater from going over 50,000 pop. in 2018. If enrollment has been going up at the Stillwater branch of Northern Oklahoma College, that helped make up for OSU losses. It has around 1700 students.

Who knows how many students actually live in Stillwater?

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
But enrollment has been declining every year since 2013-14 when it peaked at 26,073. I speculate that was the reason why plans were called off to build that mid rise apartment complex just east of Eskimo Joe's. I bet that made Stan Clark sad. At least enrollment decline didn't stop Stillwater from going over 50,000 pop. in 2018. If enrollment has been going up at the Stillwater branch of Northern Oklahoma College, that helped make up for OSU losses. It has around 1700 students.

Who knows how many students actually live in Stillwater?
That apartment complex was cancelled because there is a glut of rental properties in Stillwater and a decline in enrollment could be partly to blame for that. The bigger reason for the glut is the city approving all these new apartments while we also have a ton of rent houses.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
That apartment complex was cancelled because there is a glut of rental properties in Stillwater and a decline in enrollment could be partly to blame for that. The bigger reason for the glut is the city approving all these new apartments while we also have a ton of rent houses.
The city of Stillwater needs to do a better job of promoting Stillwater for industrial development. The new McKnight Center raises the cultural level, making Stillwater a more desirable place to move to. Passenger jet service to Dallas is an important plus. The state of Oklahoma needs to do something by significantly increasing funding for higher education to cut tuition costs. A more prosperous economy needs more college graduates, not fewer of them. Furthermore, Oklahoma needs promoted for not being as backward as it used to be.

Last edited: