City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oldguy

Greenhorn
Sep 12, 2008
there was a dad and son who were going to open a restaurant but the dad passed away suddenly. The son decided not to open so it has sat empty for a few years.
That property has been owned by Russ Teubner since 2012. He recently bought the property next door.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
That property has been owned by Russ Teubner since 2012. He recently bought the property next door.
Yes I know. He also just bought the old marketplace/ JW Lees building.
He owns a lot but rents them out to the business owners.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
http://stillwater.org/news/view/id/356

Looks like the city is working with Warren Theaters on a possible downtown/campus corridor location.

Doesn't mention any specific location, so it definitely makes me wonder where the location might be.

Either way, I'm glad to see Carmike get some competition. They've been a crappy operation for years now.
No Carmike, is AMC now, and is claiming a major renovation starting this year.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I am thinking the only empty lots that would have enough ROOM is block 34.otherwise I am thinking they will have to buy out several homes and doze them.
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/l...cle_ff6e2d87-3014-580a-bd9d-89d2ce961eba.html

Looks like they're considering the Block 34 area. According to the article, block 40 (across 9th street, south of block 34) has largely been purchased by investors already.

That whole area has potential, but the old middle school just needs to go.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I am thinking the only empty lots that would have enough ROOM is block 34.otherwise I am thinking they will have to buy out several homes and doze them.
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/l...cle_ff6e2d87-3014-580a-bd9d-89d2ce961eba.html

Looks like they're considering the Block 34 area. According to the article, block 40 (across 9th street, south of block 34) has largely been purchased by investors already.

That whole area has potential, but the old middle school just needs to go.
You mean you want someone to tear down the community center?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You mean you want someone to tear down the community center?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Well I've been gone from Stillwater for awhile now, so I'm not really plugged in to current usage of the Community Center.

Have multiple friends who work for the City of Stillwater, though, & that old building's a money pit & has been. Just way too big of a building, too old, & not used enough.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Well I've been gone from Stillwater for awhile now, so I'm not really plugged in to current usage of the Community Center.

Have multiple friends who work for the City of Stillwater, though, & that old building's a money pit & has been. Just way too big of a building, too old, & not used enough.
The Community Center has been propped up by voluntary donations ever since voters turned down a proposal over ten years ago to remodel it. The 2nd floor is closed off, due to asbestos. I would like to see the Community Center torn down and replaced with a new one, like in Enid. But I don't think taxpayers want to pay for it. The city sales tax is already high enough and with people complaining many streets are in worse shape than ever. So the Community Center will have to remain as something better than having nothing. The city is also hoping to get enough donations to turn Block 34 into a mostly outdoor space with stage. I'd sooner the Warren be built there.

About the only buildings Stillwater taxpayers wanted to pay for to make government bigger was for one of the best police stations and one of the best county jails.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The Community Center has been propped up by voluntary donations ever since voters turnws down a proposal over ten years ago to remodel it. The 2nd floor is closed off, due to asbestos. I would like to see the Community Center torn down and replaced with a new one, like in Enid. But I don't think taxpayers want to pay for it. The city sales tax is already high enough and with people complaining many streets are in worse shape than ever. So the Community Center will have to remain as something better than having nothing. The city is also hoping to get enough donations to turn Block 34 into a mostly outdoor space with stage. I'd sooner the Warren be built there.

About the only buildings Stillwater taxpayers wanted to pay for to make government bigger was for one of the best police stations and one of the best county jails.
Totally agree. It's been a pet project of one family, specifically.