City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yeah, it's pretty much the opposite. You can get by for a few days without electric. You can even use a 2kw tailgate generator to run the fridge and freezer for several days. You can heat some of the house if you have a real wood burning fireplace that really produces heat and isn't just for looks. That's doable. Shut the water off and the time you can stay gets really short really quick, electric or no electric. No hot water to shower or even cold water to flush is a deal breaker.
I've used water in buckets from the swimming pool to flush before. Lol

Aug 16, 2012
Ever been without power for a week or 10 days? Give it a try sometime.

You know what it costs to replace a freezer full of beef, or to eat every meal at a restaurant because you live in an all electric home and can't cook, or stay in a hotel for 10 days because you have no water because your well needs electric to pump water?

Whole house generators are cheap.
Nope. Lived in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado where storms routinely knocked out power. Despite the frequency, never been without more than a day. Do not store that much meat in a freezer because IMO, it tastes like crap after about 6 months. We used to buy 1/4 and 1/8 sides from Nebraska which were great...for a while, which would last us months, but only cost us about $250 with the investment being worth less and less each day as you eat away at it. Yeah, it would suck to lose power right after a big purchase, but IMO, would still not justify thousands for back-up power. Now, we already eat 90% of meals out (just the two of us, we are busy, frequently out of town, and it is cheaper in the long run). Would never live in an all-electric house because electric heat costs more than gas heat, gas hot water has a much faster recovery rate, and a gas stove is much better to cook on than a slow-to-respond electric cooktop.

We will have to disagree about $2k-$4k being cheap.

In the sticks...a generator probably make sense. In an urban/suburban setting...not so much.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
We will have to disagree about $2k-$4k being cheap.

In the sticks...a generator probably make sense. In an urban/suburban setting...not so much.
True. In Stillwater the worst power outages were due to a couple of tornadoes passing through town, rather than ice storms, and the worst for most people only lasted overnight and most of a day, unless your house was wiped out.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Anyone living in Stillwater know what is being constructed just to the west of Westwood Elementary School? It is a huge building looking at 1-2 stories. There is no sign in front indicating name of business.

Just curious

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Anyone living in Stillwater know what is being constructed just to the west of Westwood Elementary School? It is a huge building looking at 1-2 stories. There is no sign in front indicating name of business.

Just curious
New Westwood elementary school. Will tear down old one when done

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Just curious
New Westwood elementary school. Will tear down old one when done
Yep. It's supposed to be done in time for next school year. Once they can move stuff over to the new building they'll be tearing down the old one, removing the street between the 2 buildings and landscaping and building the playgrounds. All that while work finishes on the inside.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'd have to find the link but I heard the cities economic development authority has a survey on their website somewhere along people what kind of restaurants they'd like to see in the future.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
I'd have to find the link but I heard the cities economic development authority has a survey on their website somewhere along people what kind of restaurants they'd like to see in the future.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
The survey closed on March 1.