City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Did anyone else here in Stillwater experience the Electrical outage that started around 4pm and electricity restored around 4:50pm. (Thursday, Jan 3rd)

I live up north right off N Perkins Rd. Near the tall blue water tower.
You live close to me. Our electricity was off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I had a whole home generator installed about a month ago. I live out in the woods and power doesn't always come back very fast. The peace of mind is worth every penny to me.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Stillwater.org is a good site to keep up with such stuff. They are better at public information than at maintenance some days. Today, they were pretty quick.

May 30, 2012
Anyone on the N. Side power keep flashing on and off about 830 tonight?

Were those power flashes? Saw about four out my back window, didn’t know what it was.
I thought I saw something blue in the sky outside one of my windows but wasnt sure if I was seeing things.
I bet it was power flashes.

Aug 16, 2012
I had a whole home generator installed about a month ago. I live out in the woods and power doesn't always come back very fast. The peace of mind is worth every penny to me.
That had to be expensive. Most home generators have an ROI of something like 300 years (exaggerating, but the point is, you can run an entire house for months before you have paid off the generator). We have about a half-dozen UPSs, each costing about $40-$80. One plugged in behind the refrigerator, one in the living room powering the TV, modem and a light, one in each office for computers and lights, one in the bedroom and one in the garage (freezer and fridge). Power outages happen, but do so infrequently and only last for short periods of time so the amperage and battery life has never let us down. I can handle a couple hundred, not so much several thousands for a generator.

Mar 27, 2012
That had to be expensive. Most home generators have an ROI of something like 300 years (exaggerating, but the point is, you can run an entire house for months before you have paid off the generator). We have about a half-dozen UPSs, each costing about $40-$80. One plugged in behind the refrigerator, one in the living room powering the TV, modem and a light, one in each office for computers and lights, one in the bedroom and one in the garage (freezer and fridge). Power outages happen, but do so infrequently and only last for short periods of time so the amperage and battery life has never let us down. I can handle a couple hundred, not so much several thousands for a generator.
That's true for most outages. The last ice storm, we had no power for 6 weeks. The only downfall for being rural IMO.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Had I remained in Florida, I would have invested in a whole house generator. Not having power after Irma sucked and it was only for about 28 hours. Many had it out for weeks though and I didn't want to go through that. Plus I experienced more random short term power outages down there than anyplace I had ever lived. Somethings up with the grid down there.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo

Ever been without power for a week or 10 days? Give it a try sometime.

You know what it costs to replace a freezer full of beef, or to eat every meal at a restaurant because you live in an all electric home and can't cook, or stay in a hotel for 10 days because you have no water because your well needs electric to pump water?

Whole house generators are cheap.

Mar 27, 2012
Ever been without power for a week or 10 days? Give it a try sometime.

You know what it costs to replace a freezer full of beef, or to eat every meal at a restaurant because you live in an all electric home and can't cook, or stay in a hotel for 10 days because you have no water because your well needs electric to pump water?

Whole house generators are cheap.
I had to trench 300 feet to get power to my water well. Doesn't do any good to have power at the house but no water. Hope it was a giant waste of money and I never use it. I feel the same way about our storm shelter, hope it was a waste of money too. The older I get, the cost of peace of mind doesn't matter as much.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I had to trench 300 feet to get power to my water well. Doesn't do any good to have power at the house but no water. Hope it was a giant waste of money and I never use it. I feel the same way about our storm shelter, hope it was a waste of money too. The older I get, the cost of peace of mind doesn't matter as much.

Yeah, it's pretty much the opposite. You can get by for a few days without electric. You can even use a 2kw tailgate generator to run the fridge and freezer for several days. You can heat some of the house if you have a real wood burning fireplace that really produces heat and isn't just for looks. That's doable. Shut the water off and the time you can stay gets really short really quick, electric or no electric. No hot water to shower or even cold water to flush is a deal breaker.