City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Your personal bicycle is just that, personal. This is a business that sidestepped both the city and the university and in the case of Bird, has been uncooperative.
The University already has a set of bicycles that are shared. They are free to everyone if I remember correctly. So I don't think they are worried about making money.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
Personal or not, bicycles are just as much or more of a safety concern than the scooters. Many times I have been nearly hit or forced to move out of the way of bicycles, skateboards and once a guy on a Segway nearly ran me over when I was coming out of Engineering North and he was riding down the west side of EN. I have seen bicycles and skateboarders ride out in front of cars, fall into traffic and run red lights/stop signs. I'm sure people on the scooters do it too but I have not seen it.

I didn't quote @88KeysPoke but as far as blocking ADA access or sidewalks or doorways, early on I saw many of them perpendicular across sidewalks, but after the first week or so that doesn't appear to be a problem. What I've seen most people park them in a courteous manner. Of course there are exceptions and one particularly windy day I was sitting at the stoplight at Main and Hall of Fame and saw one blow over, effectively blocking the sidewalk.

All in all I have not seen them as a problem and I really don't think they are a safety concern.
On campus I've seen them circled around light posts that have crosswalk buttons on them. People couldn't reach the buttons if in wheelchair.
Also, a city councilor was on this morning on triple play. He said the large number of birds came because Norman banned them and the company just had them trucked here. Once again bird is being rude and not working with the city in any way.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Is anyone aware of what is being built right behind the indoor practice facility?

I ask again. I have heard no announcement. Is it just going to be a parking lot? This is just North of the practice facility across from The track.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Went to the City of Stillwater website last night to try to get utilities in my name when I move into my house at the end of the month. Because I haven't been a city utilities customer in the past two years, I had to physically go to City Hall to do it. Used my lunch hour to do this and although it was a fairly quick process there was absolutely nothing in the transaction that could not have been accomplished online.

Lafferty Daniel

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 18, 2008
Oklahoma City
Went to the City of Stillwater website last night to try to get utilities in my name when I move into my house at the end of the month. Because I haven't been a city utilities customer in the past two years, I had to physically go to City Hall to do it. Used my lunch hour to do this and although it was a fairly quick process there was absolutely nothing in the transaction that could not have been accomplished online.
It's to keep people from putting utilities in someone else name. Like their kids or something.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
On campus I've seen them circled around light posts that have crosswalk buttons on them. People couldn't reach the buttons if in wheelchair.
Also, a city councilor was on this morning on triple play. He said the large number of birds came because Norman banned them and the company just had them trucked here. Once again bird is being rude and not working with the city in any way.

Birds had about vanished from downtown Stillwater on Thursday. Several days before there were around a 100 of them. I wonder if the city picked them up. Anyway, still a lot of them just to the east and south of the OSU campus.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Looks like I'm blocking/ignoring another 'one trick pony' on this board. Pretty sad when someone won't engage in any debate even when people try. They just babble on and on to read their own drivel.

And what exactly does he think complaining over and over on this board will do to fix the potholes? Maybe we should form an Orange Power pothole repair team and get to work.
Call Dominoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
My opinion has always been that Bird should follow the same rules every other BUSINESS in town is required to follow. And the first load should have been collected and compacted in a trash truck.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
My opinion has always been that Bird should follow the same rules every other BUSINESS in town is required to follow. And the first load should have been collected and compacted in a trash truck.
Don't worry, the scooter fad in Stillwater has passed its peak. Never again will there be around 100 scooters in downtown Stillwater or as many as 28 of them littering the corners of 6th and Hester. OSU and city are doing a good job of impounding them.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Don't worry, the scooter fad in Stillwater has passed its peak. Never again will there be around 100 scooters in downtown Stillwater or as many as 28 of them littering the corners of 6th and Hester. OSU and city are doing a good job of impounding them.
Was your mother killed by a scooter or something? Why all the hate towards the scooters?

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
If Bird, Lime, etc, etc had a little something, something in their "contract" that required the last known user to pay the impound fee by having it automatically charged to the credit/debit card used to turn the ting on, people would quit leaving them where they don't belong.

People used to take personal responsibility personally and did it because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, those days seem to have passed. Pain & money is about the only thing most people seem to understand anymore.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
If Bird, Lime, etc, etc had a little something, something in their "contract" that required the last known user to pay the impound fee by having it automatically charged to the credit/debit card used to turn the ting on, people would quit leaving them where they don't belong.

People used to take personal responsibility personally and did it because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, those days seem to have passed. Pain & money is about the only thing most people seem to understand anymore.
If Bird had gotten permits before dumping their scooters all over town, and had then complied with the "contract" as to number of scooters dumped, things would be a lot different. Just dumping them and trying to get public pressure to make the city permit them is the big issue. I'd have arrested whoever showed up to pay the fines, and made the corporation send someone to bail them out.