City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Enid
I went to the Tonkawa location on Oklahoma night for my anniversary. I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere/presentation. Drinks are available for purchase and the piano music was a nice background. The amount of food was filling for both me and my husband. There wasn't much room between tables, so it was easy to have a conversation with people on both sides of us. It was well worth the $.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Is anyone aware of what is being built right behind the indoor practice facility?

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
Bird and Lime Scooters have been banned from campus. They have until 5 pm today to be picked up or they will be confiscated. Possible safety concerns? I was at a Chamber of Commerce lunch on Friday, and President Hargis spoke at it. He mentioned that there had been several accidents involving the scooters and that Bird had brought in several hundred more than what they were permitted for.

Who knows how this will affect the scooters around town. The numbers have exploded in the past few weeks.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Bird and Lime Scooters have been banned from campus. They have until 5 pm today to be picked up or they will be confiscated. Possible safety concerns? I was at a Chamber of Commerce lunch on Friday, and President Hargis spoke at it. He mentioned that there had been several accidents involving the scooters and that Bird had brought in several hundred more than what they were permitted for.

Who knows how this will affect the scooters around town. The numbers have exploded in the past few weeks.
Will Joyce has commented saying Bird was permitted for 100 and has recently sent up to 600.

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
WTF? Safety concerns???
The city and university is going to die on the scooter hill??
As far as I know, the city hasn't done anything. It's OSU that's banned them. Hargis also cited the 600 number which far exceeds their permit. Bird has had a pretty crappy attitude of doing whatever the heck they want without asking for permission or forgiveness. I'm not too sorry to see them get slapped back down. Lime seems to want to do things the right way. I hope they can come to some agreement with the university.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
As far as I know, the city hasn't done anything. It's OSU that's banned them. Hargis also cited the 600 number which far exceeds their permit. Bird has had a pretty crappy attitude of doing whatever the heck they want without asking for permission or forgiveness. I'm not too sorry to see them get slapped back down. Lime seems to want to do things the right way. I hope they can come to some agreement with the university.
I find it kinda hard to believe, since I don't see them often used off campus, but I guess dropping 600 more means Birds are a big hit in Stillwater. Downtown has grown from around 25 of them to close to 100 and then the Limes with a smaller number.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

Maybe they will dump them on Oklahoma City and Norman. They may need them, if they are a big hit there.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Permission. Wtf?????

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
I find it kinda hard to believe, since I don't see them often used off campus, but I guess dropping 600 more means Birds are a big hit in Stillwater. Downtown has grown from around 25 of them to close to 100 and then the Limes with a smaller number.

I've been seeing them used a lot albeit mostly in the vicinity of campus, but I see them left around my neighborhood which east of the old Walmart. I've been more and more "nests" pop up around the downtown area, along Perkins, Hall of Fame, and pretty much everywhere.

Permission. Wtf?????
I'm not sure why you're upset...They're conducting business in a public right-of-way. The city has required them to obtain the relevant permit that they require of every vendor that conducts business in a right-of-way (food trucks for example). Bird obtained a permit for a certain number of scooters than placed 6 times that number on the streets. Bird has also been guilty of placing the scooters on sidewalks in such a way that blocks access to the sidewalk - also a violation of their agreement with the city and the ADA. So yes, there has to be procedures for these companies to go through, but they aren't onerous.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
If the University was really concerned about safety they would have long ago banned bicycles, skateboards, Segways, non-motorized scooters, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly been hit by bicycles or skateboards on campus, I was almost run down by a guy on a Segway once. The email the University sent out announcing this said they were looking into viable alternatives, which to me screams, they are looking for a way to make money off it.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
If the University was really concerned about safety they would have long ago banned bicycles, skateboards, Segways, non-motorized scooters, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly been hit by bicycles or skateboards on campus, I was almost run down by a guy on a Segway once. The email the University sent out announcing this said they were looking into viable alternatives, which to me screams, they are looking for a way to make money off it.
And here we are. Bicycles are way more of a hazard but they don’t have to ask permission. They want to tax it because they turn a profit. Plain as day.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And here we are. Bicycles are way more of a hazard but they don’t have to ask permission. They want to tax it because they turn a profit. Plain as day.
Your personal bicycle is just that, personal. This is a business that sidestepped both the city and the university and in the case of Bird, has been uncooperative.
The University already has a set of bicycles that are shared. They are free to everyone if I remember correctly. So I don't think they are worried about making money.

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
According to the NewsPress, OSU did cite safety concerns as the primary reason. Here are statements from OSU on the matter:

Because they are owned by a company, they require vending licenses. It’s not that we’re banning the use of scooters on campus, but the companies that come in and unload them, those kinds of things, those are being banned. We have yet to see any money from a permit standpoint or a vending license. People were just parking them in front of doorways, in the middle of sidewalks, and it’s becoming an issue. Those personal scooters people have, they go through the same process that bicycles do. So you can get one of those and park them at a bike rack. It’s more about the safety issue of people leaving them in the middle of sidewalks, in the front of buildings. We find when it’s not someone’s own personal property, they tend not to be as diligent about where they’re leaving them. When we have 30,000 people on our campus every day, it becomes difficult for people trying to maneuver. And our bikes — we really encourage people to ride their bikes and scooters into campus — those people tend to keep up with them, take care of them and park in the proper area. They don’t really own these, they tend to just leave them wherever they want. It’s just become too big of an issue.
The biggest issues we’re dealing with is when they’re clustered around a light pole that has push buttons for the crosswalk. If you’re in a handicap scooter, you can’t reach that far, you’re not going to try to run them over or push them out of the way. And they’ll set them up in sidewalks. ADA recommends three feet of clearance for like wheelchairs in hallways and other areas. And again, they’ll set them (Birds) up with two feet or less space, so we’ve been impounding them.
So it sounds like personal responsibility is a big factor. Since the scooters aren't personal, people don't care about them and just leave them wherever they want. They end up blocking access ways, doorways, and they pose hazards and cause ADA violations. It obviously wouldn't be acceptable for people to leave their bikes parked in front of doorways or in the middle of sidewalks, and it's not acceptable for the scooters either. When you have hundreds of them all over campus, it apparently quickly became an issue. To be fair, I think Bird does tell people to park the scooters at bike racks, but they obviously can't control that. And with hundreds of new scooters appearing overnight, OSU would have to invest in new bike racks all over campus to accommodate them. Bird should pay for their permit to help fund that.

They're an interesting idea, but implementation needs some work.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Your personal bicycle is just that, personal. This is a business that sidestepped both the city and the university and in the case of Bird, has been uncooperative.
The University already has a set of bicycles that are shared. They are free to everyone if I remember correctly. So I don't think they are worried about making money.

Personal or not, bicycles are just as much or more of a safety concern than the scooters. Many times I have been nearly hit or forced to move out of the way of bicycles, skateboards and once a guy on a Segway nearly ran me over when I was coming out of Engineering North and he was riding down the west side of EN. I have seen bicycles and skateboarders ride out in front of cars, fall into traffic and run red lights/stop signs. I'm sure people on the scooters do it too but I have not seen it.

I didn't quote @88KeysPoke but as far as blocking ADA access or sidewalks or doorways, early on I saw many of them perpendicular across sidewalks, but after the first week or so that doesn't appear to be a problem. What I've seen most people park them in a courteous manner. Of course there are exceptions and one particularly windy day I was sitting at the stoplight at Main and Hall of Fame and saw one blow over, effectively blocking the sidewalk.

All in all I have not seen them as a problem and I really don't think they are a safety concern.