City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
This rumor's been around for over 20 years now & it's simply not true, for restaurants.

Don't even get me started on the sweetheart deal the City Council gave to freaking Olive Garden.
And then let them build right next to a locally owned Italian restaurant. I choose Da Vinci’s every time.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Maybe the old sign, which was a smaller version of the one at 6th and Perkins, got destroyed when it was removed. If not, it should be put back.

I guess Clark didn't include Olive Garden, resulting in two of his restaurants failing. In the more distant past, he apparently didn't buy Red Lobster, resulting in his downtown sea food restaruant closing. He might as will try using one of his franchise rights to reopen his vacant MoJoe's. But why try competing against yourself again?

I think Clark does a decent job competing with the other Mexican restaurants. Chimichangas at Mexico Joe's are just as good as the ones at Palomino's. But wouldn't be surprised if some people think that Clark doesn't have much impressive quality competition from the other Mexican restaurants to worry much about.
I've talked to my wife about those signs as well. I always thought they'd put a new granite sign like the one they removed from the NW corner.

As for the rumor about Clark, my understanding is the only reason we have an Olive garden in town is because they believed he wasn't holding the franchise rights in good faith and so gave them to someone else.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
Darden, owner of Olive Garden and former owner of Red Lobster, doesn't do franchises. All stores are corporate owned. So unless Stan bought controlling interest in Darden he didn't buy either of those.

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
Fix the terrible streets, no more sidewalks to nowhere, no more foot bridges that nobody uses just fix the darn streets.
I get your sentiment, but just to clarify, the city isn't building the "sidewalks to nowhere." Developers are required to build sidewalks up to city code in front of their property if one doesn't already exist, so sidewalks are popping up as properties are developed. That's why you see a lot of seemingly random sidewalks.

The newest interesting development is Stillwater was hit by Bird Scooters this week. The company did what they always do and just dumped a bunch of scooters off without telling anyone or communicating anything to the city officials, and now the city is dealing with the aftermath. It's currently illegal to drive them on sidewalks, but I still see people doing it pretty frequently. Then the scooters just get dumped around town when people are done with them. The city council is supposed to be discussing how to handle it during Monday's meeting.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I can't seem to find it but I remember somebody mentioning the Chinese restaurant over off Western in the Wicklow place and I just wanted to give an update. There's a notice that they are past due on their rent taped to their door and that Court proceedings will be filed on the 17th of this month if they don't pay.
And another weird thing is they apparently at some point left the air conditioning set low because it is so cold in there there's condensation on all the windows. And they apparently left lights and fans on.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
I can't seem to find it but I remember somebody mentioning the Chinese restaurant over off Western in the Wicklow place and I just wanted to give an update. There's a notice that they are past due on their rent taped to their door and that Court proceedings will be filed on the 17th of this month if they don't pay.
And another weird thing is they apparently at some point left the air conditioning set low because it is so cold in there there's condensation on all the windows. And they apparently left lights and fans on.

That sucks. We have nothing on the west side. It was good food.

Mar 29, 2018
Big Fork, Mt.
Stillwater PotHole City USA, terrible streets multiple property abandoned (for 20,30,40 yrs) example the old Spavs on far north Washington, the two abandoned Apts across from Sonic on north main and so many others. The Stillwater Swamp needs a little draining, good luck with that.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Maybe the old sign, which was a smaller version of the one at 6th and Perkins, got destroyed when it was removed. If not, it should be put back.

I guess Clark didn't include Olive Garden, resulting in two of his restaurants failing. In the more distant past, he apparently didn't buy Red Lobster, resulting in his downtown sea food restaruant closing. He might as will try using one of his franchise rights to reopen his vacant MoJoe's. But why try competing against yourself again?

I think Clark does a decent job competing with the other Mexican restaurants. Chimichangas at Mexico Joe's are just as good as the ones at Palomino's. But wouldn't be surprised if some people think that Clark doesn't have much impressive quality competition from the other Mexican restaurants to worry much about.
When your restaurant can't be better than Olive Garden or Red Lobster, you don't deserve to stay in business.

OSUFan

Born to wear orange!
A/V Subscriber
Jul 13, 2007
Stillwater, OK
I hate to be in the minority but I was not impressed with DaVinci’s. Sauce tasted like it was out of a ketchup bottle. Olive Garden isn’t the greatest but it is better than DaVinci’s.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
1537242154554.png

This is supposedly about the Walmart on Perkins Rd. But from what I'm hearing it's because they are remodeling actually. No full details though.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
View attachment 64540
This is supposedly about the Walmart on Perkins Rd. But from what I'm hearing it's because they are remodeling actually. No full details though.
Almost every Walmart looks empty right now due to remodeling for the upcoming wine and high point beer sales coming October 1st. If there is anything on the shelf, it is on a different shelf than it used to be. Can't find anything. Not sure why there is a for sale sign there though.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
View attachment 64540
Almost every Walmart looks empty right now due to remodeling for the upcoming wine and high point beer sales coming October 1st. If there is anything on the shelf, it is on a different shelf than it used to be. Can't find anything. Not sure why there is a for sale sign there though.
I found out more details. Apparently that store needs more changing around of product shelves than the new one so stuff is being removed in larger quantities as they rearrange them. So it looks emptier.

As for the sale sign, it apparently is for the parking lot behind Burger King.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
BTW, my wife sent me a frantic text last week saying Sam's had cases of beer for $5. Don't know how accurate that is because I left work and drove straight there, and they were sold out.

To anyone out there, if you're one of the dickheads who hauled off flatbeds of the cheap beer, thanks a lot.