City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Why would opposition die down? This still doesn't give any concrete plans for the use of the money. They keep comparing it to maps, but okc had very specific projects and plans for that money each time it was passed. I say they need to show us plans and then let us vote on them.
This would be SO clutch for downtown Stillwater. It would almost serve as an anchor for the revitalization of downtown. Let's hope this happens!
Then opposition to the TIF plan might as well die down.

Where would a movie complex be built? Since city is in negotiations that suggests Block 34.
Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2008
South of 34 is the news press right?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Yes, to clarify a bit: Block 41 (just S of Block 34) contains the News Press office and Causley's. The article states that a group of investors has purchased most of the land on Blocks 40 and 41. The reporter speculates that Block 40 (just S of the Community Center and W of Block 40) is a likely tract for the new movie theater.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A couple of things from my trip to Stillwater yesterday.

The signs at the corner of 6th and Western look cheap. I thought we were moving something a little nicer to that spot. They are just a notch above my garage sale signs I made last time my wife tried to sell our crap.

I heard from a pretty good source something that doesn't sound quite right. Someone who should know said Stan Clark is known for buying up franchise rights to chain restaurants just to keep them from coming into Stillwater and competing. That sounds like an expensive way to boost revenue.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

The signs at the corner of 6th and Western look cheap. I thought we were moving something a little nicer to that spot. They are just a notch above my garage sale signs I made last time my wife tried to sell our crap.

I heard from a pretty good source something that doesn't sound quite right. Someone who should know said Stan Clark is known for buying up franchise rights to chain restaurants just to keep them from coming into Stillwater and competing. That sounds like an expensive way to boost revenue.
Maybe the old sign, which was a smaller version of the one at 6th and Perkins, got destroyed when it was removed. If not, it should be put back.

I guess Clark didn't include Olive Garden, resulting in two of his restaurants failing. In the more distant past, he apparently didn't buy Red Lobster, resulting in his downtown sea food restaruant closing. He might as will try using one of his franchise rights to reopen his vacant MoJoe's. But why try competing against yourself again?

I think Clark does a decent job competing with the other Mexican restaurants. Chimichangas at Mexico Joe's are just as good as the ones at Palomino's. But wouldn't be surprised if some people think that Clark doesn't have much impressive quality competition from the other Mexican restaurants to worry much about.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I've talked to my wife about those signs as well. I always thought they'd put a new granite sign like the one they removed from the NW corner.

As for the rumor about Clark, my understanding is the only reason we have an Olive garden in town is because they believed he wasn't holding the franchise rights in good faith and so gave them to someone else.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK

They were going to move the granite sign that is by Stillwater Milling over there but the people that live next to the corner of 6th and Western were worried that the lights on the sign would be too bright at night. I guess that changed the plan.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
They were going to move the granite sign that is by Stillwater Milling over there but the people that live next to the corner of 6th and Western were worried that the lights on the sign would be too bright at night. I guess that changed the plan.
So every visitor that comes to Stillwater from the west sees garage sale quality signs because one jackwagon can't buy heavier window treatments?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yeah I never understood why those signs are located at 6th and Western when you're already 2 miles into town at that point.
One reason is that used to be the official start of town. That's where they used to have the granite on the northwest corner. And it's a handy little plop of land that somebody donated for that use.

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
One reason is that used to be the official start of town. That's where they used to have the granite on the northwest corner. And it's a handy little plop of land that somebody donated for that use.

It hasn't been the official start of town for decades. The "come back soon" sign is especially out of place at that location. Considering Stillwater's current size and expansion, the location doesn't make any sense. I also agree the do look cheap and pretty pathetic. They tried to do some landscaping around them, but it really just make them look worse.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It hasn't been the official start of town for decades. The "come back soon" sign is especially out of place at that location. Considering Stillwater's current size and expansion, the location doesn't make any sense. I also agree the do look cheap and pretty pathetic. They tried to do some landscaping around them, but it really just make them look worse.
Kind of like the "Oklahoma City Garden Club Welcomes You" sign at the corner of May and NW Expressway. It's funny to see that this intersection was considered the edge of town at the time.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Another reason it looks silly is on all the other major arteries in and out of town there aren't similar signs. Closest we have is the granite sign there at 6th and Perkins but once again that's not the edge of town.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

This rumor's been around for over 20 years now & it's simply not true, for restaurants.

Don't even get me started on the sweetheart deal the City Council gave to freaking Olive Garden.