City Exodus? What say you?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Possibly, but for a retirement idea it is very expensive.

OKC has been good for family and life but very poor for work. US healthcare (particularly ER) is a mess and a dirty business.
Totally agree with the second statement, just not sure of the solution. I'm glad this has been good for your family... I'm sorry about your work...Do you work for an ER group or a local hospital? Lots of the Tulsa area hospitals use ER groups. The business office for one of those is in our building as a tenant. Good folks, but they certainly feel your pain...It is dirty, and that's why I have my trust issues I've expressed on here. Admin's and medical staff seem to be at odds a lot over needs and the almighty dollar takes precedent over patient care far too often. This creates a system of graft and greed and those Administrators and Providers who kowtow to it (i.e. the dollar bill) sometimes make poor and unethical decisions for the car in their mansions garage rather than what's best for patient care. Btw, I know you aren't one of those simply by the arguments you express on this board.

Thank you for what you do everyday...working to save lives in this harsh environment isn't easy, especially in these confusing times. Keeping sane and healthy for you and your family is very important. We can't do what we do without sanity and a proper demeanor. I let a lot out on this board so that I don't do that in person...I know that's kind of weird, but it actually helps me be more calm in person. Please forgive me for doing that with Rx and you on occasion. It's a coping mechanism.

Nov 6, 2010
I look for lake property to start moving higher. If people only have to drive in to the office once or twice a week and can work remotely the rest, it makes a house a couple hours away from the city on a lake much more feasible for a lot of folks.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I moved here from Australia and have bought homes in multiple large cities in two countries including some of the places you have mentioned. What I said is it is more than I want to pay "for OKC" meaning relative to prior values in OKC. I'm not into cheap. I'm into value. I'm not comparing to other cities as that data isn't important to my purchase decision. Real estate is local. Just comparing current prices in OKC to prices in other markets is a fool's game. You compare to long term trends, price/rent etc. OKC is a pretty cool city now (compared to when I was growing up) so some above- long term market trend price inflation is expected. But, it isn't any of those places that you mentioned with more expensive real estate.

This site gives good data if you want to compare. https://www.fhfa.gov/DataTools/Tools/Pages/FHFA-HPI-Top-100-Metro-Area-Rankings.aspx For example, compare OKC and Austin, with Austin's huge boom surpassing OKC. Then compare OKC and Wichita, with OKC passing it.

As you can see OKC has had a good run, but at this point might be batting out of its league a little bit. With the difficulties in O&G, virus etc, I'm prepared to wait and see if it cools some to allow me to get what I want at a price I want.

I have spent most of my adult life moving every few years. Well-timed real estate purchases and sales and/or renting have been a huge benefit for me.
Just in case you didn’t know. I was a home inspector, home builder and mortgage broker in Oklahoma City from 95-00. Had over 2,000 inspections so I have some familiarity with the nicer areas. If you need to bounce some questions off someone with zero judgement and fellow lover of orange, just message me.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
"We live in the Urban Core", which is super fun in a lot of ways. Just have to be aware all the time. Lots of transient foot traffic. Which is fine 99% of the time. But it's a little gritty at times. We're near 23rd and Penn.

I grew up in the country, and while city life has some excellent benefits, I'm just finding more that I want something slower paced and more spread out.
We aren't far. We are in an apt at 22nd and Classen.
This area was just being brought back from the dead in late 90’s. Still some great deals to be had I’ve been told.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I look for lake property to start moving higher. If people only have to drive in to the office once or twice a week and can work remotely the rest, it makes a house a couple hours away from the city on a lake much more feasible for a lot of folks.
I was looking for my new normal too. Ready to retire and disappear. I looked at lake Eufaula because it checks off a lot of my requirements. Except they are asking $800,000 for a 4,000 SF home close to the water in a gated community. Not on the water. If it was 400k, I’d retire today.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was looking for my new normal too. Ready to retire and disappear. I looked at lake Eufaula because it checks off a lot of my requirements. Except they are asking $800,000 for a 4,000 SF home close to the water in a gated community. Not on the water. If it was 400k, I’d retire today.
Dang, I wouldn't pay $8K for a home on Eufaula, I'm shocked anyone would buy something that expensive on that lake...I always forget that OKC folks actually like it. Sorry I'm sort of a clear water snob...Don't like Grand either, too many people with monster boats...Beaver in Arkansas is very nice and Skiatook around here, and maybe Tinkiller if you can figure out something close to the water and a marina. Sold my boat years ago, it was the best day of my life next to the day I bought it...;) Sorry to give Eufaula such a hard time...maybe you have to be closer to OKC I'm assuming. Anyway, I hope you can find that dream retirement spot one of these days.

Nov 6, 2010
Dang, I wouldn't pay $8K for a home on Eufaula, I'm shocked anyone would buy something that expensive on that lake...I always forget that OKC folks actually like it. Sorry I'm sort of a clear water snob...Don't like Grand either, too many people with monster boats...Beaver in Arkansas is very nice and Skiatook around here, and maybe Tinkiller if you can figure out something close to the water and a marina. Sold my boat years ago, it was the best day of my life next to the day I bought it...;) Sorry to give Eufaula such a hard time...maybe you have to be closer to OKC I'm assuming. Anyway, I hope you can find that dream retirement spot one of these days.
There is some very nice water on Eufala. Once you get east of the chute, it's pretty nice. And the Duchess Creek area is very clear. But yea, the Canadian arms are pretty bad.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There is some very nice water on Eufala. Once you get east of the chute, it's pretty nice. And the Duchess Creek area is very clear. But yea, the Canadian arms are pretty bad.
You are from OKC aren't you? Just kidding...I know the one arm of the lake we cross when headed down to Southeastern Oklahoma to hike at Robbers Cave isn't nearly as bad as the others. Like I said, when we had our boat, I was most definitely a clear lake snob...we did go with OKC friends to Eufaula one time and enjoyed a sandy beach and that was nice, it's just not anything close to Beaver Lake where we spent most of our time boating...Mind you, not sure I'd want to retire there either...kind of have unreachable goals for that...never satisfied, and really without the income or wealth to obtain it, that's a dilemma for me. So I'm constantly looking for off the beaten path retirement or second "home" options. More likely I will just continue to work until they fire me or I drop dead and take vacations as we can.

Beaver Lake...
1596115157670.png

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
You are from OKC aren't you? Just kidding...I know the one arm of the lake we cross when headed down to Southeastern Oklahoma to hike at Robbers Cave isn't nearly as bad as the others. Like I said, when we had our boat, I was most definitely a clear lake snob...we did go with OKC friends to Eufaula one time and enjoyed a sandy beach and that was nice, it's just not anything close to Beaver Lake where we spent most of our time boating...Mind you, not sure I'd want to retire there either...kind of have unreachable goals for that...never satisfied, and really without the income or wealth to obtain it, that's a dilemma for me. So I'm constantly looking for off the beaten path retirement or second "home" options. More likely I will just continue to work until they fire me or I drop dead and take vacations as we can.

Beaver Lake...
View attachment 84273
It is most certainly all relative, and those southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas lakes like Beaver, Bull Shoals and Table Rock are another level. You might check out Lake of the Ozarks. It is not as scenic as those, but there are tons of affordable properties on that lake, and when you get downlake, the water does get pretty clear.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It is most certainly all relative, and those southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas lakes like Beaver, Bull Shoals and Table Rock are another level. You might check out Lake of the Ozarks. It is not as scenic as those, but there are tons of affordable properties on that lake, and when you get downlake, the water does get pretty clear.
Watch out for those Langmores, though.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
It’s true. It’s an Oklahoman lake. I guess that’s why I have such a deep love for it. Spent my first 18 summers there so the passion is real. Add in the factor that the reason Okies are so tough is because of the amount of iron in the water and dirt.

No one in the family wants to go back to Okc or even near it. Or even the state. And that saddens me. I put Eufaula in the hat just so they would consider it. It’s away from cities. Has a great water source. Has a great nutrition source. Within hour and half a airport. Medical attention less than 45 minutes. Great climate. Within driving distance of football. Perfect place to get lost.

Oh well. I’m being pushed out of all my favorite places and I can’t get a consensus to move back home. Someone here mentioned some rural Colorado towns. Might have to check those out.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It’s true. It’s an Oklahoman lake. I guess that’s why I have such a deep love for it. Spent my first 18 summers there so the passion is real. Add in the factor that the reason Okies are so tough is because of the amount of iron in the water and dirt.

No one in the family wants to go back to Okc or even near it. Or even the state. And that saddens me. I put Eufaula in the hat just so they would consider it. It’s away from cities. Has a great water source. Has a great nutrition source. Within hour and half a airport. Medical attention less than 45 minutes. Great climate. Within driving distance of football. Perfect place to get lost.

Oh well. I’m being pushed out of all my favorite places and I can’t get a consensus to move back home. Someone here mentioned some rural Colorado towns. Might have to check those out.
Wife & I still have some years to work, so we'll likely remain here outside of Boulder for that time. We're always scouting those mountain towns you're talking about, so I'm happy to be of any help there.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

I'm headed to Colorado tomorrow for a short get away and hope to just relax, hike a little, drink some craft beer, and fly fish. BTW, real estate cost in most of Co has killed that dream as well. Still have some high hopes for Cloudcroft NM and Idyllwild California where I also spent a summer as a college student and fell in love with it, of course it nearly burns to the ground every other year or so... For our Co trip I'm hoping for a low stress low activity deal. Going socially distant and getting away from any crowds and hopefully some cooler weather. Sorry I dissed the lake, that was stupid of me...each person has their own taste and none are better than the others...my Dad absolutely loves the great plains of Western Oklahoma because he grew up on the land out there in Washita County...he likes the sky and being able to see vast stretches of grass and the little mountains to the south....I like that as well, but prefer the more dramatic. It's just preference, none is better than the other.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I'm headed to Colorado tomorrow for a short get away and hope to just relax, hike a little, drink some craft beer, and fly fish. BTW, real estate cost in most of Co has killed that dream as well. Still have some high hopes for Cloudcroft NM and Idyllwild California where I also spent a summer as a college student and fell in love with it, of course it nearly burns to the ground every other year or so... For our Co trip I'm hoping for a low stress low activity deal. Going socially distant and getting away from any crowds and hopefully some cooler weather. Sorry I dissed the lake, that was stupid of me...each person has their own taste and none are better than the others...my Dad absolutely loves the great plains of Western Oklahoma because he grew up on the land out there in Washita County...he likes the sky and being able to see vast stretches of grass and the little mountains to the south....I like that as well, but prefer the more dramatic. It's just preference, none is better than the other.
I grew up in Custer county and while there are some things that I liked about it and miss like the openness and the sky, Stillwater is a nice compromise right now for me in regards to that versus having access to a few more things.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Wife & I still have some years to work, so we'll likely remain here outside of Boulder for that time. We're always scouting those mountain towns you're talking about, so I'm happy to be of any help there.
Appreciate. You will be hearing from me as soon as she’s ready to take a drive. We rented an RV prepandemic to see if we wanted to buy it but never got the chance to drive it. It’s paid for so we are rethinking the destination and it’s looking like the area around Boise city OK. Into New Mexico, Colorado and south of the town, we found acreages for sale along with mineral and water rights.
Of course, I’ve been talking on OP about leaving the states all together. South or Central America seem very appeasing to me, but no one else. It’s time.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
No hard or soft feelings at all. I get it. I’ve fallen in love with several places. It’s not the places that make me want to move. It’s the people. Seattle is worthless to me now. Maui is on the verge of death, and they’ve made it clear that they prefer me no to get involved in inner island disputes. It seems I don’t belong there anymore either. Only place left right now is Dallas. And it’s changing fast. Just tired of everyone wanting to politic everything.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I grew up in Custer county and while there are some things that I liked about it and miss like the openness and the sky, Stillwater is a nice compromise right now for me in regards to that versus having access to a few more things.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Stillwater hated me as a student. Didn’t have enough money to satisfy her. I’ve thought about going back and opening a bar and retire where I love it the most. Even had daydreams of volunteering for the school. But the family just can’t stand the state anymore. I really don’t know why.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Where in Colorado?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk