City Exodus? What say you?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It's a little sad to me that there are still people who have never seen the ocean or a mountain. Crazy...we do enjoy Tulsa, and I have the opposite problem you do because I couldn't retire if I sold my real estate here and tried to move back...
LOL. When I post our travels on Facebook invariably one of them will post "Aren't you afraid of getting blow up by terrorists?" (Israel, Morocco, Jordan) or "The altitude and/or water is going to kill y'all!" (India/Nepal)

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
LOL. When I post our travels on Facebook invariably one of them will post "Aren't you afraid of getting blow up by terrorists?" (Israel, Morocco, Jordan) or "The altitude and/or water is going to kill y'all!" (India/Nepal)
Man I was looking to go to Morocco last year during Ramadan even and was running into a lot of resistance, but I've heard Marrakech is especially nice during that time with families inviting you for the nightly fast breaking meal and such. Had a group of friends go to Jordan and Israel last year as well...man I miss travel. We went to Greece in May 2019, and that was outstanding...I've heard great things about Morocco, what did you most enjoy?

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I think that is wise. My eldest daughter is starting grad school at OU Health Science Center. I looked into buying a house for her for next couple of years ( as a diversity investment for me). But price/value of renting an apartment led us to a rental decision.

However, if I was confident she would be there more than two years, I may have leaned more to buying - interest rates now are extremely attractive.
I think the smartest thing a parent can do when their kid goes to college is to purchase a small home, condo or townhouse near the campus. Places near campus well always be good locations even after 4-8 years of your kid living there. If you decide to sell, then you're maxmizing the housing dollars spent on your kid.

The kid can get roommates and really keep his own cost low as possible and they're not always trying to find a new place to live each coming year. In fact, they could bust through college by staying the summer and going taking summer classes.
One of the best years of my life was staying a summer in Stillwater, working and really getting to know the local business folk. We really felt like we became more of a part of Stillwater and not just a transient student.

Then, after graduation, if you want to sell, you've got 3+ years of equity and rising property values coming back to you. Trim your total college investment some.

Or you can use the profits to assist your kid into investing into a new home with a new job in a new city.

I tried to buy a home on Lincoln that I rented out in college. Our rent was $110/month back in the mid 70s. The home was near Frat/Soro row and 6th Street. However, the home did not stay listed long and was gone before I could arrange financing. So, get your financing locked down first if you're going to do something like this.

But, I also think that I could have rented out that home for 30 years more had I gotten it because it was such a good location.
And location, location, location is what it's all about. At least for me.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Man I was looking to go to Morocco last year during Ramadan even and was running into a lot of resistance, but I've heard Marrakech is especially nice during that time with families inviting you for the nightly fast breaking meal and such. Had a group of friends go to Jordan and Israel last year as well...man I miss travel. We went to Greece in May 2019, and that was outstanding...I've heard great things about Morocco, what did you most enjoy?
We spent 17 days in Morocco so got to see a lot. It's really hard to narrow down what was the best part but here is a list of things we did:

-3 days in Marrakech/Guilez. Fantastic life inside the medina and the festival of food vendors every night on the square starting around sunset.
-Hiking the High Atlas, climbing Mt. Toubkal, the town of Imlil - highest peak in northern Africa (this is near where the Scandinavian girls were killed by the terrorist. DO NOT camp alone! This is the area where the final episode of Homeland was filmed. We recognized a bunch of it.
-Moulay Ismail shrine in the town of Meknes
-Erg Chebbe dunes and high-end camping in the Sahara; riding camels
-Roman ruins at Volubulus. Mind blowing. Lunch in the town of Moulay Idriss nearby
-Fez and touring the leather trades and ancient Judaism sites (Moses Maimonides)
-Chefchaouen - the blue city in the Rif mountains
-Tangier and the fantastic surrounding coast (Strait of Gibraltar)
-Hollywood filming sites like Ouarzazate, and Ait Bin Haddou (think Gladiator, The Mummy, and many others)
-Casablanca

Can't recommend Morocco enough, truth be told. A truly fascinating place.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We spent 17 days in Morocco so got to see a lot. It's really hard to narrow down what was the best part but here is a list of things we did:

-3 days in Marrakech/Guilez. Fantastic life inside the medina and the festival of food vendors every night on the square starting around sunset.
-Hiking the High Atlas, climbing Mt. Toubkal, the town of Imlil - highest peak in northern Africa (this is near where the Scandinavian girls were killed by the terrorist. DO NOT camp alone! This is the area where the final episode of Homeland was filmed. We recognized a bunch of it.
-Moulay Ismail shrine in the town of Meknes
-Erg Chebbe dunes and high-end camping in the Sahara; riding camels
-Roman ruins at Volubulus. Mind blowing. Lunch in the town of Moulay Idriss nearby
-Fez and touring the leather trades and ancient Judaism sites (Moses Maimonides)
-Chefchaouen - the blue city in the Rif mountains
-Tangier and the fantastic surrounding coast (Strait of Gibraltar)
-Hollywood filming sites like Ouarzazate, and Ait Bin Haddou (think Gladiator, The Mummy, and many others)
-Casablanca

Can't recommend Morocco enough, truth be told. A truly fascinating place.
I had looked at a shorter trip coupling it with a few days in Barcelona or Madrid. Have been, regionally, to Portugal and loved Porto. Was interested in Marrakech, hiking in the Atlas, Bin Haddou...didn't have time to do the awesome dunes area on the other side of the Atlas and southeast...but was hoping to maybe add a costal town for a day and one night maybe. Was only like five nights in country and the remainder in Spain (3 nights or so)...my budget being a bit smaller than yours maybe...but I've found a great site to travel affordably internationally (especially Europe) and it's resulted in several trips in the last five years or so.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I had looked at a shorter trip coupling it with a few days in Barcelona or Madrid. Have been, regionally, to Portugal and loved Porto. Was interested in Marrakech, hiking in the Atlas, Bin Haddou...didn't have time to do the awesome dunes area on the other side of the Atlas and southeast...but was hoping to maybe add a costal town for a day and one night maybe. Was only like five nights in country and the remainder in Spain (3 nights or so)...my budget being a bit smaller than yours maybe...but I've found a great site to travel affordably internationally (especially Europe) and it's resulted in several trips in the last five years or so.
I can also highly recommend Barcelona (Mallorca not bad either), but have not been to Madrid. The are two very different cities with an intense hatred for each other! Portugal is definitely on the bucket list. Would love to be there when the big waves hit the north coast! My guess is that we'll be able to start planning trips again sometime about the middle of next year, but I also suspect there might be a lot of pent-up demand and higher prices. We just love the Spain/Iberian region. Probably our favorite trips were to Morocco and Spain.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I saw a post on Facebook of someone I know seriously considering leaving the country. I didn't see where they plan on going.

Where would you go if you were off the America train?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I saw a post on Facebook of someone I know seriously considering leaving the country. I didn't see where they plan on going.

Where would you go if you were off the America train?
Internationally, Portugal is high on the list because of pricing and lifestyle and low crime, however it's fairly remote in terms of Eroupe...maybe Costa Rica, in the past, but it's gotten a bit pricy over the past decade...Ecuador if they could get and keep their financial act together would be wonderful. it's very affordable and a hikers dream, also cool side trips to Galapagos Islands and Peru. Official currency of Ecuador is the American Dollar. Not sure about Asia but I have a cousin that lives in Nam and has a young family he started kind of later in life there. He started on the beaches of Thailand in the bar scenes (he's a musician) and ended up meeting someone and that brought him to Vietnam and family life there. He has a couple cute kids, a wife and in-laws, so he's all in and has been for about 15 years.

For English speaking, England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland are all cool to visit but not sure about living there...Fish and chips is great but it get's old. I could however tool around the Greek Islands for a few years if I was younger. Italy is amazing and I could live about anywhere in Italy and love it. It's semi inexpensive as well in the lessor know areas. Also I looked seriously at the South of Spain and traveling around Europe house sitting and my wife teaching on line. One can rent a nice beachside places in a towns like Nerja or check out the mountains and history in a place like Granada fairly cheap in Southern Spain. Also snow skiing in southern Spain so you get both beach and mountains in the Sierra Nevada (ironic). Also have heard that Eastern Europe and Croatia are worth a look see. Croatia looks amazing.

Bottom line, all those sound cool, but it's more likely Mexico for me than the others, especially if they ever get things together in terms of safety. Areas of interest would be the less know resorts likely Puerto Escondido or Huatulco, East coast has sadly become too touristy.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Internationally, Portugal is high on the list because of pricing and lifestyle and low crime, however it's fairly remote in terms of Eroupe...maybe Costa Rica, in the past, but it's gotten a bit pricy over the past decade...Ecuador if they could get and keep their financial act together would be wonderful. it's very affordable and a hikers dream, also cool side trips to Galapagos Islands and Peru. Official currency of Ecuador is the American Dollar. Not sure about Asia but I have a cousin that lives in Nam and has a young family he started kind of later in life there. He started on the beaches of Thailand in the bar scenes (he's a musician) and ended up meeting someone and that brought him to Vietnam and family life there. He has a couple cute kids, a wife and in-laws, so he's all in and has been for about 15 years.

For English speaking, England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland are all cool to visit but not sure about living there...Fish and chips is great but it get's old. I could however tool around the Greek Islands for a few years if I was younger. Italy is amazing and I could live about anywhere in Italy and love it. It's semi inexpensive as well in the lessor know areas. Also I looked seriously at the South of Spain and traveling around Europe house sitting and my wife teaching on line. One can rent a nice beachside places in a towns like Nerja or check out the mountains and history in a place like Granada fairly cheap in Southern Spain. Also snow skiing in southern Spain so you get both beach and mountains in the Sierra Nevada (ironic). Also have heard that Eastern Europe and Croatia are worth a look see. Croatia looks amazing.

Bottom line, all those sound cool, but it's more likely Mexico for me than the others, especially if they ever get things together in terms of safety. Areas of interest would be the less know resorts likely Puerto Escondido or Huatulco, East coast has sadly become too touristy.
Ever heard of Holbox Island, off the north coast of the Yucatan? We've had multiple friends rave about it as being a bit like Isla Mujeres in terms of size & laid-backness.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ever heard of Holbox Island, off the north coast of the Yucatan? We've had multiple friends rave about it as being a bit like Isla Mujeres in terms of size & laid-backness.
I've not been but we have been to Isla and all over the coast to the south and the Yucatan inland...the only place I've not been in that area is Cancun itself (lol, not my deal). Eight trips spanning 1988-2017 or so. First time we went in 1988 to Cozumel there was no cruise ship port in that entire area, Playa Del Carmen had ONE hotel right in the center of town, the road to the South was a two lane and only somewhat paved, Xcaret was pristine and you had to take a dirt road in, no charges, pristine, no park but you could swim in the cave with the other five or six people on a busy day. You could rent a taxi and a driver for the day for about $40 USD in Playa and he would take you to all the sites and he would take a siesta and wait on you while you swam or whatever... Xchellha was actually built out a little but the Town of Tulum and beach was WAY off the beaten path. Akumal hasn't changed much and remains a semi favorite except for the modern seaweed problems (these are a new and awful thing). Btw, Roatan for diving and snorkeling location is VERY nice and real estate is great value, but they are starting to have a bit more Honduran mainland issues (i.e. violent crime). Will have to check out Holbox...I've also heard decent things...Sounds kind of like Key Caulker Belize.

My issue with modern Quintana Roo is that we experienced it when it was super pristine and relaxing...no bleaching of the coral (Cozumel was amazing), no seaweed on the beaches, no rude partiers, cenotes to yourself, no mega resorts, and certainly no big AI's. It's just kind of lost it's luster in some ways, but maybe Holbox would be a nice diversion and a return to that time period. Btw, check out Sayulita Mexico north of Puerto Vallarta...Playa Escondido Resort is amazing. My favorite place we have ever stayed in Mexico and maybe the world. Super laid back...awesome staff...and great food. One of the very few places I've gone where I didn't want to leave the resort for the entire time.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I don't know, French Polynesia and St. Lucia are pretty awesome.
Been to St. Lucia and it's nice, but I'm not a beach person. Plus, my work, which most of the time I enjoy and get a sense of purpose from, requires at least some population center of some kind.

I wouldn't want to live in most of the places I've been outside the US, though a lot of them are great places that I highly recommend. Loved Colombia, Mexico (primarily Puebla area), San Juan in PR, and Costa Rica. My other travels have been all to Latin America, too. I think I'd like Germany or Belgium best, if they were taking Americans, but I've never been. Spain might be nice, too, but my first trip there got canceled because of the rona. Literally two days before we were supposed to leave is when Trump announced the ban on European travel (I know it didn't apply to US citizens and we had already cancelled everything anyway). Always wanted to visit southern Spain and Galicia in the north.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Been to St. Lucia and it's nice, but I'm not a beach person. Plus, my work, which most of the time I enjoy and get a sense of purpose from, requires at least some population center of some kind.

I wouldn't want to live in most of the places I've been outside the US, though a lot of them are great places that I highly recommend. Loved Colombia, Mexico (primarily Puebla area), San Juan in PR, and Costa Rica. My other travels have been all to Latin America, too. I think I'd like Germany or Belgium best, if they were taking Americans, but I've never been. Spain might be nice, too, but my first trip there got canceled because of the rona. Literally two days before we were supposed to leave is when Trump announced the ban on European travel (I know it didn't apply to US citizens and we had already cancelled everything anyway). Always wanted to visit southern Spain and Galicia in the north.
Serbia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Croatia...not sure how the heck one would get to Ukraine, Serbia, and Croatia in time of the Rona but they are all open...who knows how long. I think you would love Europe and I'm sorry you lost your trip. Lots of us in that same crappy hole filled life boat right now. But I hope you can make that trip up as soon as possible!

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

One of my clients, an ex-pat Brit, has been looking into retirement locations in Central America and seems to have settled on Panama. Says the American ex-pat community is very strong, good to great healthcare options, etc.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I've only been to the larger Quito area in Ecuador, but the "suburbs" in the mountains are nice, too. Medical care isn't half bad in those areas either (not a concern now, but we all get sick eventually).

I haven't run into too many people who've been to Puerto Escondido. I haven't been in a few years, but it's hands down my favorite beach town. Not sure about living there, though. If I had to live in Mexico, it would definitely be Puebla. Most coastal areas now are either super touristy or massively overrun by the cartels.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Would you go back down under? How's your experience (sans this crazy virus) been back in OKC so far?
Possibly, but for a retirement idea it is very expensive.

OKC has been good for family and life but very poor for work. US healthcare (particularly ER) is a mess and a dirty business.