City Exodus? What say you?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah, Cleveland is a pretty desirable school district right now, I think. We live in Gatewood, and we actually love the neighborhood. But we live kinda close to Penn, so there's a LOT of random foot traffic, and it's just not an ideal location for raising little kids IMO. If it weren't for all the druggies, thieves, and transients that prey on all of us, it would be a fantastic place to stay for a while. I just feel like if I have an opportunity to move outside the city or burbs, it'll give us a lot of peace of mind.
My mom was a Gatewood Alligator. Like I said, my wife and I are foodies so I'm familiar with the plaza area. I like Empire pizza, but The Press is my favorite down there.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My mom was a Gatewood Alligator. Like I said, my wife and I are foodies so I'm familiar with the plaza area. I like Empire pizza, but The Press is my favorite down there.
That's cool! I haven't been to the press yet. We had no idea the plaza existed when we bought our house. It was a pleasant surprise!

Did you know they closed Gatewood Elem as part of the recent OKCPS restructuring. I heard it may become an overflow for Cleveland Pre-K, but we'll see. We were excited that our daughter could walk to school, but not anymore :-(

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
That's cool! I haven't been to the press yet. We had no idea the plaza existed when we bought our house. It was a pleasant surprise!

Did you know they closed Gatewood Elem as part of the recent OKCPS restructuring. I heard it may become an overflow for Cleveland Pre-K, but we'll see. We were excited that our daughter could walk to school, but not anymore :-(
Definitely should hit The Press.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Definitely should hit The Press.
Continuing the trend of "city exodus", my wife and I prefer greasy diners to the "nicer" places in OKC. The nice places are cool, for sure. They're just not really our vibe. I'll take Beverly's, Jimmy's Egg, Bill's, Little Mike's, etc...over Kitchen 324 or Red Prime every time. That said, Aurora is legit, and has the best pancakes in town. Definitely try it if you haven't been. Hatch is also great if you can get there a little earlier.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We love Frisco. So many good food options coming in. And yes, La Hacienda is awesome.
Frisco's nice, it's just too busy for us...South Tulsa feels like a small town, especially when you factor in traffic. We loved our stint in DFW and most of our family still lives in the area including our kids (currently), but we would have a hard time coming even semi close to affording the real estate to replace what we have here. The positives here, at least for us, outweigh anything DFW had to offer...except for having to travel to other airports first before getting out of Tulsa...i.e. have to go to a hub and then out for most directs internationally. On the plus side the airport is small and very efficient, no waiting in security lines or baggage claims...everything is boom...I'm home or boom I'm leaving. This creates a service that is personal and easy going. No rush here...Tulsa time. Anyway, do love some La Hacienda, but at least we have Chuy's now....so we aren't devoid of decent Texas Mex like we used to be. Best thing, in the past, for me with Tulsa proximity to Stillwater...still is great but are we going to have football or not? Hate the Rona....

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Another “exodus” tidbit. Despite the pandemic and downturn in the O&G industry, the Woodlands Tx home prices are soaring. Most houses sell in less than 5 days. More people wanting out of near downtown Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Another “exodus” tidbit. Despite the pandemic and downturn in the O&G industry, the Woodlands Tx home prices are soaring. Most houses sell in less than 5 days. More people wanting out of near downtown Houston.

The Woodlands hasn't been "out of the city" for 10 years. I don't know how far north you have to go to get out of the city now, but it's further than that.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

The Woodlands hasn't been "out of the city" for 10 years. I don't know how far north you have to go to get out of the city now, but it's further than that.
Yes it’s still within metropolitan Houston, but it is 35 miles from downtown. That’s +30 miles from potential nonsense.

If you want out of the “city”, you have to go almost to Huntsville to the North, past Katy to the West, and almost to Dayton to the east.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Yeah - but at least it FEELS out of the city. Planners did a pretty good job of making - at least the residential portion- feel suburban to rural. The traffic system within The Woodlands feels like Houston though.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
There are two couples that had kids at my school that discovered during the lock down they could technically do their jobs from anywhere in the country. So they are moving, one to TX on to Colorado....

My wife hasn't been into here office since March and will likely not go back until at earliest the beginning of the year...There are two other people in my role here at my job that work from across the country...so I know my job could be done anywhere...

My girls have been hounding me for a horse...I'm sure not paying to board one.

It's REALLY tempting to find a good plot of land somewhere back in gods country..

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
There are two couples that had kids at my school that discovered during the lock down they could technically do their jobs from anywhere in the country. So they are moving, one to TX on to Colorado....

My wife hasn't been into here office since March and will likely not go back until at earliest the beginning of the year...There are two other people in my role here at my job that work from across the country...so I know my job could be done anywhere...

My girls have been hounding me for a horse...I'm sure not paying to board one.

It's REALLY tempting to find a good plot of land somewhere back in gods country..
Agreed. This has opened up a lot of potential living situations that I wouldn't have considered feasible pre-covid.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
The best thing about moving from where I am to somewhere back in OK is the drop in property taxes...I have a nice house on 1 & 1/3 acres, the cost of property taxes is just outrageous. Moving back home would get me either more buying power or a nice savings every month...

I don't know if it'll every happen but my folks aren't getting younger and it would be nice to be closer to help out when they need it.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Frisco's nice, it's just too busy for us...South Tulsa feels like a small town, especially when you factor in traffic. We loved our stint in DFW and most of our family still lives in the area including our kids (currently), but we would have a hard time coming even semi close to affording the real estate to replace what we have here. The positives here, at least for us, outweigh anything DFW had to offer...except for having to travel to other airports first before getting out of Tulsa...i.e. have to go to a hub and then out for most directs internationally. On the plus side the airport is small and very efficient, no waiting in security lines or baggage claims...everything is boom...I'm home or boom I'm leaving. This creates a service that is personal and easy going. No rush here...Tulsa time. Anyway, do love some La Hacienda, but at least we have Chuy's now....so we aren't devoid of decent Texas Mex like we used to be. Best thing, in the past, for me with Tulsa proximity to Stillwater...still is great but are we going to have football or not? Hate the Rona....
If we moved to Tulsa we could probably retire today with no issues due to the difference in housing and cost-of-living. Still haven't ruled it out but we're pretty happy down here now.

I have a ton of friends who have literally never been out of Oklahoma since high school graduation.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If we moved to Tulsa we could probably retire today with no issues due to the difference in housing and cost-of-living. Still haven't ruled it out but we're pretty happy down here now.

I have a ton of friends who have literally never been out of Oklahoma since high school graduation.
It's a little sad to me that there are still people who have never seen the ocean or a mountain. Crazy...we do enjoy Tulsa, and I have the opposite problem you do because I couldn't retire if I sold my real estate here and tried to move back...