Church of the Apostles found

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The crusades were in response to the increasing aggression and land taking by the Muslims. I was wondering why you held to a simple belief that the crusades were because of the pilgrimages. While they did help keep pilgrims safe, they also went on the offensive.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
The crusades WERE/ARE a pilgrimage. Didn't you see the definition. In historic texts they are often referred to as a military pilgrimage.

Aside from that.... their purpose was to retake the Holy Lands so that people could safely travel there. The Knights Templar (and other knights) set up a banking system where pilgrims/travels could deposit their money at one end, receive credits, and then exchange them back for money when they reached their destination.

I'm not really sure that I understand your question or your confusion. It just is. That's the way it is described and retold (by practically everybody).

I'm not sure what you're asking.
You can call the crusades a military pilgrimage. But for the sake of this thread the pilgrimages that are discussed are just religious pilgrimages to go see things not for military purposes such as the crusades were, that's why I said that.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
You can call the crusades a military pilgrimage. But for the sake of this thread the pilgrimages that are discussed are just religious pilgrimages to go see things not for military purposes such as the crusades were, that's why I said that.

I have no idea what you area saying.... military pilgrimages were only one example.

DO you have a point? Yes, the pilgrimages were to see Christian settings and historical places. The Romans said so.. the Pope said so... it's common knowledge.

The crusades ensured that the pilgrimages could continue.

what is your point? I don't understand what you're asking.